Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swab

my derm told me to get an electric shaver

i currently finished my course of accutane and it worked great but my derm said these results are not permanent so he gave me some tips to stay clear. one of those tips said to use an electric shaver instead of a razor because it is better if you have acne.

now before i go out and buy a $100 braun i wanted to hear some of your opinions, do you think it will help much, because he said it was very important not to use razors?

Ever since I started getting acne, I started using an electric shaver. The one thing you don't want is shaving over a pimple with a razor as it will bleed and hurt like a mofo. However, if your acne goes into complete remission, then I wouldn't see the harm with using a traditional razor blade.

i started using an electric shaver not to long ago for the very reason of acne. i really like it too. my acne went down a little, and its faster. but when i switched from a razor to an electric one, my face got a little irritated, mostly on the bottom of my chin. but i found if you use it after a shower then wash off the excess hair, its better. after about 2 weeks it goes away, it actually said in the manual for the razor it would irritate at first.

I wish i could justify buying one. Im not manly tho lol. I only get stuble on the lower chin and neck area. Rest comes in more like peach fuzzz, its annyoing as hell and i still have to shave it.

I used to swear by an electric shaver but I have since gone back to using a razor since starting my accutane course. I just find the exfoliation from the razor too good to pass up, and its really good at helping get rid of red marks. I can make a redmark dissapear in a week or two using a razor daily along with a good moisturiser.

I used to swear by an electric shaver but I have since gone back to using a razor since starting my accutane course. I just find the exfoliation from the razor too good to pass up, and its really good at helping get rid of red marks. I can make a redmark dissapear in a week or two using a razor daily along with a good moisturiser.

Naw I don't think it would make it any worse just be sure to warm the hairs on your face for awhile before shaving. If your just dry shave it without warming your hairs it causes a lot more friction and can lead to easier irritation. Also... Be sure to use some sort of astringent when you are done shaving followed by a moisturiser. The astringent or toner should be used to kill any bacteria and take off and left over hairs. The moisturiser to help your cells maintain good elasticity and a faster repair cycle. Electric or non I always use this regimen and it seems to do the trick for me, hopefully for you too!

i'm in the marines so i have to shave evry single morning. i used touse a razor but found it to be so tedious. plus this involved looking in the mirror for a long time...which i don't like to do. since using an electric i dont think it has helped or hurt my acne but it has made things easier for me.

I picked up a gillette fusion, a lot less pressure because the blades are very close together.

I've never cut myself with this razor, as apposed to the disposable 3 blades i used to use from shick.

I picked up a gillette fusion, a lot less pressure because the blades are very close together.

I've never cut myself with this razor, as apposed to the disposable 3 blades i used to use from shick.

well i dont cut myself with a razor either, but when i have a big pimple it cuts it open. thats why im asking will a electric shaver cut it open too?

I switched from razor to electric many years ago because of my acne. I initally used the rotary-electric type (I.E. lift and cut type). BAD idea!!! Those get TOO close to your skin and can actually cut you. I switched to the guarded type with the holes in the screen and my skin likes that MUCH better. Razors will irritate your skin believe it or not. Especially if you have acne. You'll get that initial irritation if you switch to electric but much less so if you use the screen type. Good luck.

I've tried electric and they are simply not good enough, unless you have quite the beard your always going to be left with stubble, sometimes it feels like your not even shaving.

Saying that, this morning I cut myself with a normal razor - first time ever.

Id say my electric razor doesn't cut as close as i would like it but you can shave dry with the razor and you can go over repeatedly over an area without worrying about cuts and irritation etc.

A normal razor will get you that closer shave you want but you goto shave wet etc etc and its not good for your face to go over an area repeatedly since you risk razor burns razor bumps and other irritable things but the normal razor is probably faster then an electric if done right.

Personally i go over my face with an Electric razor and once with a normal 3 bladed razor on areas where stubble is at its toughest.