Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lkjhgfdsa

Can physicians prescribe Accutane?

I've heard things about how dermatologists in the US are required by law to have you "try" other medications for a year before they can prescribe Accutane. Is that true?

I ask because I haven't been to an actual dermatologist since middle school (I'm in college now), but almost a year ago my physician prescribed me with some topical meds in addition to an oral antibiotic. Would it be possible for him to prescribe me the Accutane, or would I have to get a dermatologist and then wait a whole year to get it?

My family doctor prescribed me accutane. I just asked for it :D however i live in more liberal canada.

Dermatologists are the only kind of doctors who can prescribe accutane in the US, but I don't think they are required by law to try other treatments. It's the industry standard to try other treatments first, but some more liberal derms will give it to you almost right away if you have severe acne or scarring. But many derms are also stuck in the dark ages and will force you to undergo a year of benzoyl peroxide washes and topical retinoids first. If you just tell your derm that you've been prescribed antibotics and retinoids in the past and the acne hasn't gotten under control, he/she may be willing to go right for the accutane.

My family doctor prescribed me accutane. I just asked for it :D however i live in more liberal canada.

jaymac, do you live in the US?

If so, I'm gonna need some more input to reconcile this factual disagreement between him and novembershadow.

physicians cannot prescribe it in the U.S. but can give you a referral and usually the derm will only give it out if everything else has failed. The U.S. is very strict about it due to the birth defects. They give you i pledge cards and if you lose even one of them you have to schedule another derm appointment and start the process over. if you dont follow rules they can kick you off of it. If your blood tests are bad they may take you off of it for a few weeks and see if it gets better then you can go back on. Im on my 4th week ands its gotten worse but it pulled out all the acne below the skin

I have been on Accutane for a week. It was prescribed by an MD of internal medicine at my university health center. This is the first prescription drug for acne I've used since I was a teenager, when I was on minocycline, and she didn't insist on trying anything else first. But I'm a special case, because all other systemic acne drugs will interfere with the lithium I'm on.

jaymac, do you live in the US?

If so, I'm gonna need some more input to reconcile this factual disagreement between him and novembershadow.