Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My skin so oily, within an hour of me getting to work my skin is so shiny. I spend most of the day going to the loos blotted the shine.

Any ideas on controlling it? I have been using Paulas choice BHA Lotion, I wondered if this was making me more oily.

There are only three things that have ever worked for me. Accutane, if you have a nice doctor and aren't trying to have a baby you could go on very low dose for a while, that got rid of my oil. (albeit temporarily) 10 or 20 mg per day will give you no side effects unless you are very very small. OC8. Google it, it is a lotion you put on that absorbs the oil on your skin and will make the shine take twice as long to become apparent (Works really well and doesn't clog pores, but my skin is as oily as yours, and 2 hours of oil free vs. 1 hour is negligible.) Lastly, diet changes. Try a healthier diet cutting out all dairy for 2 weeks, and you may surprise yourself, this has worked the best for me.

Things that haven't worked for me: any external exfoliators, cleansers, masks, creams, etc. (besides OC8) and high dose B5 or Omega 3 fish oil.

There are only three things that have ever worked for me. Accutane, if you have a nice doctor and aren't trying to have a baby you could go on very low dose for a while, that got rid of my oil. (albeit temporarily) 10 or 20 mg per day will give you no side effects unless you are very very small. OC8. Google it, it is a lotion you put on that absorbs the oil on your skin and will make the shine take twice as long to become apparent (Works really well and doesn't clog pores, but my skin is as oily as yours, and 2 hours of oil free vs. 1 hour is negligible.) Lastly, diet changes. Try a healthier diet cutting out all dairy for 2 weeks, and you may surprise yourself, this has worked the best for me.

Things that haven't worked for me: any external exfoliators, cleansers, masks, creams, etc. (besides OC8) and high dose B5 or Omega 3 fish oil.

Hey Crabby Patty!

I will list a few products and what I've thought about them. I, too, have very oily skin so I can give you an honest opinion on each:

- On-the-Spot Acne Treatment by Neutrogena is a 2.5% BP that goes on very matte and is a good product if you like to use BP with more of a matte finish under your makeup primer/oil absorber product.

- Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment with 2% SA again goes on with a matte finish under your primer if you like SA.

- Peter Thomas Roth Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel is a primer that has a bit of a 'slip' to it. I believe it's silicone based, absorbs pretty well, but to me it 'moves' around a little too much for my liking.

- OC Eight is a wonderful mattifying gel/lotion used over your treatment products and under your makeup. What I like about the OC is once you spread it around your face, it dries and doesn't move like the silicone one listed above. I also noticed when I apply my coverup, it grips the product very well and doesn't allow it to slide off like the one above.

- Besides Ebay, this is a link to a place I have found the best price for OC Eight, if you like it. If anyone finds a better price somewhere, please let us know.

http://www.askderm.com/displayProducts.asp?criteria=OC+Eight

I've experimented and discovered you can use the products one at a time or layer them for more oil control. I have actually used the SA or BP listed above before the OC, then on days when I need even more oil control, I've used some of the Peter Thomas Roth in the t-zone over the OC. A great way to use the OC is to place the amount you would normally use, say a pea size, on the tip of your finger. Then dip it into your mineral or loose powdery foundation. Tap the fingers from your other hand onto it too, so both hands have a little on the fingers, pat it all over your face, then smooth it all out. The dipping into your powder foundation adds a hint of color to the OC and makes it appear like a light tint the color of your skin. I then use my coverup and finish with a light dusting of my powder foundation. As your skin gives out oil, it absorbs it for a good long time.

Hope this helps you out!

Honestly, I've been trying to evaluate it since I got my first tube because it seems to vary. It all depends on how much oil your skin gets and how quickly.

For example, I gave a tube to my daughter, who has good skin, but it gets a touch oily in the warmer/more humid weather. It keeps her shine free easily over 6 hours. So I would say her skin would be in the oily but slightly oily versus very oily category.

My skin is very oily, but even with that, it varies almost daily. When I'm out hiking, etc. and the weather is more dry and cool, it lasts a good 6 hours for me too. Winter weather, dry heat, low humidity, it's giving me about 6 hours too. BUT, you have to remember I usually wear the SA or BP mentioned above under it, AND I do finish with the powder foundation lightly dusted over it. Then, after about 6 hours, I like to blot and re-apply a light dusting of oil control or reg. powder to matte it down again. But it goes right back to looking good.

If the humidity creeps back in, or if my skin seems to be more oily for some reason that day, then at hour 4 I'm blotting and re-applying a light dusting of oil control or reg. powder. So then it's only lasting 1/2 as long as it said it would, but definitely STILL manageable. Because it helps grip the concealer so well, it's like I'm literally only blotting off the oil. It has a real smooth finish to it, and since it DOES grip the makeup really well, it's not like blotting off your makeup and looking at bare skin again. It is still there. Before I used it, all the makeup would be coming off, while this tends to keep it looking fresher longer even with the 4-hour time.

On some occasions it looks better than others regarding the oil control. Judging from what posters say, it could simply be my diet that week or day or whatever other factors play into. It does, however, seem to work well for me on a consistent basis.

If you click on that link and call the number, they have customer service people you can chat with about the product or others. I called to discuss the OC before I put in the link as I wanted to know if they sold any other products that people got either better results than the OC or at least equal to. The lady I spoke with said she uses it along with some other people there, and she told me she would recommend that one as one of their best-selling oil absorbing products. I'm always up for trying something new, so if you hear of anything, let us know. If you want to chat with someone from there, go right ahead because it's so difficult knowing if something will work or not for your individual skin's needs.

I hope it works well for you if you decide to purchase it. Or if you like something else better, please let us all know. Oil and red marks rival actual spots for discontent! :angry:

For example, I gave a tube to my daughter, who has good skin, but it gets a touch oily in the warmer/more humid weather...

My skin is very oily, but even with that, it varies almost daily. When I'm out hiking, etc. and the weather is more dry and cool, it lasts a good 6 hours for me too...

If the humidity creeps back in, or if my skin seems to be more oily for some reason that day, then at hour 4 I'm blotting and re-applying a light dusting of oil control or reg. powder. So then it's only lasting 1/2 as long as it said it would...

Everything you've said here is consistent with what I've quoted in the past from the dermatologists Kligman and Shelley, who did a ground-breaking study back in 1958. They found (among other things) that moisture enhances the perception of sebum on the skin, without altering the actual AMOUNT of sebum. They said that a little bit of oil along with moisture LOOKS oilier than a lot of oil without any moisture at all! ;)

That would explain why during the drier winter months the same amount of oil being produced is very tolerable yet in the humid weather it feels like so much more! So then, are you saying the reason the blotting tissue has more 'oil' on it during the humid season is actually because moisture is mixed with oil making it appear like a larger amount?

Ummm....maybe. A possible confounding factor here is that it's been shown more recently that heat does at least temporarily increase the delivery of sebum to the surface of the skin, apparently by decreasing its viscosity. Heat doesn't affect the actual production rate of sebum within the sebaceous glands, but it can make it easier (at least temporarily) for "stored" amounts in the skin to be delivered to the surface. So there may be more than just one factor at work here: both humidity AND heat.

hiya

I've been reading your reviews on OC8. I have the same problem, my skin becomes very oily within 2-3 hours after washing. I have a fringe and my hair falls down at the sides and my hair becomes greasy because its rubbing off on my face. I live in the UK, do you's have any suggestions as to where i can buy this? and is there a specific type?

Hey~

There is only one type of OC Eight. It doesn't come in colors because it's basically a transparent lotion/gel. What I really like to do is dip the amount I usually use into loose powdery foundation bc then when I spread it around, it picks up the color of my foundation and acts like a sheer tinted product, as I posted above. Then it's so easy to just use some coverup and a dusting of powder to set everything. Minerals can be used as well in the same manner. If you wear liquid foundation, it goes on smoothly over OC Eight because it kind of makes a smooth barrier on your skin.

To get more information on the product, just search OC Eight Professional Mattifying Gel and read about it on their website. The best price I could find is in this link but I'm not sure about the UK. When you search the internet, I'm sure you can find places that ship there if this place doesn't. I've also found some on Ebay occasionally. But be sure you get it for a good price as some people seem to just bid for the fun of it even if you can buy it elsewhere for less! Good luck!

http://www.askderm.com/displayProducts.asp?criteria=OC+Eight

Here is another thread in the org addressing large pores, etc. with some primer suggestions. In case this is helpful to anyone reading this thread, I wasn't sure if you would see it or not so I thought I'd post it here as well:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Primers-e...es-t191225.html

Since I've started taking a multi-mineral a few months ago (with zinc, copper,maganese, etc) and using Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Oil soap my skin has hardly any excess oil at all....I think the zinc in particular helped with this(but don't take more than 100mg/day otherwise it can be toxic to your body).

As for oil hair I can recommend two things--not washing your hair everyday(try every other day or every few days)...let you hair become accustomed to that...and if need be use a dry shampoo or baby powder(small amount applied to hair starting at the scalp, work downward and both help absorb oil). Doing this my hair is a lot less oily than it used to be...

Hope that helps, keep us updated on your progress...

thanks for your suggestions! I managed to order oc8 off boots website :) my hair was fine on the dianette...had no problems, could leave it for a few days, but now the next day its quite greasy. As during the day the oil builds up on my face and my hair is effected! I think i might try the mulit mineral tablets, sure that will do no harm! thanks!

As for oil hair I can recommend two things--not washing your hair everyday(try every other day or every few days)...let you hair become accustomed to that...and if need be use a dry shampoo or baby powder(small amount applied to hair starting at the scalp, work downward and both help absorb oil). Doing this my hair is a lot less oily than it used to be...

As I was going through online products for oil control, I thought about a product by Dimitri Skinn called Orchid Gel. It is lavender/purple-ish in color and is used for absorbing oil as well as a makeup primer. I remember it being pretty good, but I haven't used it in so long and I've stayed with the OC Eight. Since I haven't had it in a good number of years, I can't compare the two.

Has anyone else tried the Orchid Gel and what experiences have you had with it? Here is a link to the place even though I remember it was on some Shop At Home tv too. Thanks!

http://www.skinncosmetics.com/st_orchid_gel_detail.php

My skin so oily, within an hour of me getting to work my skin is so shiny. I spend most of the day going to the loos blotted the shine.

Any ideas on controlling it? I have been using Paulas choice BHA Lotion, I wondered if this was making me more oily.

Rub chickpea flour and milk twice a day you will see the improvement on 1st wash and you can't thank me enough for it ! Take my words ! Bonus it also exflioates....it is super oil controller. Dont use any lotion and potions. Put 1 and half tablespoon of chickpea flour in 2 tablespoon of milk and put on face for 3 to 4 mins rub gently....Walah oil control for all day !

Source- I have superoily and acne prone skin....only thing that controlled my oil !

Chick pea flour has been just heavenly! I haven't tried it with milk, I usually mixed it with just water.

It also works well on post-acne scars.

How interesting--chickpea flour?! and you rinse it off afterward? I just had needling done recently & this might help fade the red marks as well. Thanks for the idea!

P.S. I have extremely oily skin, shiny an hour after washing, and Milk of Magnesia keeps the shine away for most of the day. I put a small amount on a cotton ball and make sure to spread it around well, avoiding eyebrows. Use very sparingly because any excess dries chalky white!

I have extreme oily skin. It's oily 15 minutes after washing. (Due to medication. This isn't natural. I think I was in the one-hour boat prior to taking it.) The only thing I've found that helps a little bit is the mask in my signature applied every night for 30 minutes. I think it just helps soak up oil cleanser misses without drying. Mattifying products seem to make everything worse. I dunno why. They just turn slimy. I've never tried the OC8 thing, though.

I have extreme oily skin. It's oily 15 minutes after washing. (Due to medication. This isn't natural. I think I was in the one-hour boat prior to taking it.) The only thing I've found that helps a little bit is the mask in my signature applied every night for 30 minutes. I think it just helps soak up oil cleanser misses without drying. Mattifying products seem to make everything worse. I dunno why. They just turn slimy. I've never tried the OC8 thing, though.

I have kinda of given up on Paulas products now, I have been using her BHA for a couple of years I have tried each format , Gel, lotion & liquid but never noticed any difference! Even tried her AHA, very dissapointed in them as so many people give them good reviews.

Here are the ingredients for OC8:

Purified Water, Acrysorb(brand of acrylares copolymer) propylene glycol,PEG- 400, carbomer 940, sodium hydroxide, methylparaben, and disodium EDTA.

Wonder what the magic ingredient is in this product??

I am the same when it comes to oilies as posters here (I am extremely oily). Whatever I try seems to complicate things worse, even claims of things mattifying me. My face just gets oilier and pores get huge!!

Also I used Paula's Choice SA and found it to make my pores LARGER and greasiness was just as bad, if not worse.

Interesting about the Chick pea flour.....where do you find it and do you leave it on your face???

I am going to try the vitamin...

I just wanted to report my experiences with a few products:

Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets: If you have a mild case of oily skin these will work very well for you. Otherwise if you're like me and have truely oily skin, these are only good for about an hour or two and you'd have to use them all day to keep the oil away, so for me they rate a 2/10.

Neutrogena Clear Pore Oil Eliminating Astringent: Keeps my skin clean looking for about 2 hours. Contains witch hazel. Also because it contains alcohol, it might give your skin that "burning" sensation. In my opinion 2 hours is nothing, so 3/10

Seban Facial Pads: Works for about the same amount of time as the toner listed above. It feels good on application, however your pores will shine through like glitter. For me this happens in about 2-3 hours, so 4/10

OC Eight: Best product I've used for oily skin. Keeps the oil away for up to 8 hours (more or less). Takes a little while to dry (10-15 minutes for me). Also it can make your skin look a bit "whiter" than usual, kind of milky looking, but this isn't too noticable. It does keep skin matte though, so much so that you may even lose that natural "shine" normal skin has. It is also expensive. 7.5/10

I'm still wanting to try something that contains Isolutrol. Has any used a product with this?