Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Anyone know of alternatives to Metformin (the diabetes drug) (but for acne!)

Metformin is a drug that reduces carb absorbtion in the stomach, makes the person more insulin sensitive and reduces insulin spikes. The women who take this say they notice that their acne practically disappears...

This drug is successful with PCOS (poly cystic ovary symptoms)... and of course, by now, we all know that whatever cures PCOS also cures acne since they are caused by the same problem.

Metformin has many side effects and is a pharmaceutical drug. So I'm trying to find out the natural alternatives....

Anyone know of any?

Dotty,

If you're talking about Type II Diabetes, you can actually control it very quickly through diet and in most cases, no longer need insulin. With Type I, insulin can be greatly reduced. The diet, Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman is very effective in doing this. He discusses how to do so in his book, Eat to Live. www.drfuhrman.com. I have the book, so if you'd like me to answer a question from the book, I'd be happy to look it up for you. :)

Metformin has many side effects and is a pharmaceutical drug. So I'm trying to find out the natural alternatives....

Anyone know of any?

Of course. VINEGAR, for God's sake! As many times as we've been over the metformin-like effects of vinegar taken prior to high-carb meals, do you even have to ask?? :)

you mean like carb blockers?

Can't you get the same effect by taking fiber with your meals? I've been looking into getting glucomannan, it's several times more effective than psyllium.