Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

does anyone else notice high levels of dead skin w/ your acne?

I exfoliate at least every two days when my acne is in full swing. Every 4 days, there is thick amounts of dead skin on the sides of my nose.

I just read that there are two causes in acne:

Insulin resistance, which leads to extra sebum production, and excess IGF-1 (Insulin Growth Factor) which speeds up our skin's formation of new skin cells.

IGF-1 promotes the multiplication of skin cells known as keratinocytes, a process associated with acne.

Acne is a buildup of oil AND dead skin particles which are being made so fast that they plug the pores before being excreted.

yes I do, my skin is very dry, and when I look closely to the mirror I have a thick layer of dead skin

But excess amounts of IGF-1 cause non-stop skin rejuvination....which is bad since pores are producing a sticky sebum.... and thus unbeneficial to people with acne.

But excess amounts of IGF-1 cause non-stop skin rejuvination....which is bad since pores are producing a sticky sebum.... and thus unbeneficial to people with acne.

Thats me definitely. I produce too much skin on various parts of my body. When I changed my diet it calmed down a lot, but it's still there. I'm hoping that slowly but surely it will go away in time. This is really making a lot of sense now.

Insulin resistance, which leads to extra sebum production, and excess IGF-1

Note that high blood sugar actually causes reduced levels of IGF-1. It's the abnormal dips in blood sugar that raise IGF-1. A diet low in refined carbohydrates and sugar will sometimes raise IGF-1. IGF-1 is also very beneficial for skin elacsticity, so don't think of it as the enemy.

Wouldn't it be counterproductive for the body to produce an insulin-like hormone in response to an absence or low level of sugar?

Wouldn't it be counterproductive for the body to produce an insulin-like hormone in response to an absence or low level of sugar?

I don't want to pretend to be a scientist or anything, but here's how I see it: way back when, the most common causes of dips in blood sugar would perhaps be fasting, because of a lack of food. I imagine that sometimes when humans would be hunting, they would be unsuccesful and would have to go without food for elongated periods of time. Increased growth hormone leads to greater aggression, better eyesight and reflexes, among other things, and would increase likelihood of being able to catch something to eat. That's a half-assed explanation with flaws in it, but the point is that, it's an undeniable truth that low blood sugar = increased growth hormone. Many websites advocate fasting for a day to increase your growth hormone levels naturally.

But I also found a study which concluded that GH + Insulin = IGF-1 essentially. This site though, says that high blood sugar = lower GH

Some very informative posts rakbs and lili. I agree that could very well be whats happening, low bg and IGF-1 is raised.

The trick then is to avoid low blood glucose levels and improve insulin sensitivity. I think that can be done if you stop eating refined carbs and dont eat too much carbs at a meal. High GL foods cause a bg spike and then a low. It takes alot of time and exercise to improve insulin sensitivity, so dont expect results immediately.

Just what Im wondering is the role of toxins and our liver in acne. Because some people get clear only by liver flushing or taking lvier supporting herbs. Has our liver become less efficient in eliminating hormones (and toxins?) or something? or are the hormone receptors in our skin cells oversensitive?

I found a site that says that IGF-1 sticks around longer in the body than GH. So here's what I'm thinking:

Refined carbs -> sugar crash -> GH -> IGF-1 repeated several times a day, there would be ever increasing levels of IGF-1 with each sugar crash, piling up in the blood stream since IGF-1 is slow to metabolize or get filtered out or whatever happens to it. And because IGF-1 makes androgens far more potent in its presence than not, you'd develop symptoms of excess androgens: excess oil and enlarged pores. In addition to that, IGF-1 is known to increase skin cell hyperproliferation. Oil + skin cells = Comedone = Acne.

So if a person carried a healthy snack bag around with them everywhere, would that work? You'd never have a crash, and the whole process would be interrupted. Right?

I found a site that says that IGF-1 sticks around longer in the body than GH. So here's what I'm thinking:

Refined carbs -> sugar crash -> GH -> IGF-1 repeated several times a day, there would be ever increasing levels of IGF-1 with each sugar crash, piling up in the blood stream since IGF-1 is slow to metabolize or get filtered out or whatever happens to it. And because IGF-1 makes androgens far more potent in its presence than not, you'd develop symptoms of excess androgens: excess oil and enlarged pores. In addition to that, IGF-1 is known to increase skin cell hyperproliferation. Oil + skin cells = Comedone = Acne.

So if a person carried a healthy snack bag around with them everywhere, would that work? You'd never have a crash, and the whole process would be interrupted. Right?

The thing is, IGF-1 doesn't fluctate greatly throughout the day. It's not like IGF-1 levels increase every time somebody has a sugar spike. This is one reason why IGF-1 tests are so reliable, because levels don't change greatly. In order to change your IGF-1 I'd imagine you'd have to change your general lifestyle.

I think that IGF-1 is a bit of a misunderstood hormone, I'm not an expert on it but I do think that it deserves a bit more research before we shun it.

I have this really unusual skin condition that's replaced my bad case of acne. I call it 'dandruff of the face'. That's the only way I can think of describing it...overlyproduced oil, turns into clumps of dead skin the very next minute. scrub off the scum with my finger. And it goes on and on and on. I don't know what to do with myself *shakes fist*

A study has shown that acne can be induced with injections of IGF-1 alone.

And two more studies have found no correlation between IGF-1 and acne.

I have this really unusual skin condition that's replaced my bad case of acne. I call it 'dandruff of the face'. That's the only way I can think of describing it...overlyproduced oil, turns into clumps of dead skin the very next minute. scrub off the scum with my finger. And it goes on and on and on. I don't know what to do with myself *shakes fist*