Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChrisJr21

Past and Present Acne Experience

Hey guys,

As we all know, acne, no matter what type (mild/severe) can affect our lives. Alot of people on the board rant about how much acne has ruined there lives and the negative effects it has had over them living in the moment not knowing what the future holds. And then there are some who draw positive experiences from there situation. What lies in between the wrekless emotional states we are in when were at rock bottom and serenity we hope to have once we get out of that place is the lessons we've learned and our personal growth. I have a simple question out there for everyone that has been effected by acne and i hope i get some responses....

How has acne negativelyaffected your life? And how has acne positivelyaffected your life?

The only thing positive coming out of me having acne is that I don't judge people based on looks. Other than that it's ruined my life.

Negatively: 1) it has made me become very obsessive about my appearance, even though I barely have acne now just a few red marks and scars; 2) For awhile it did make me somewhat of a social recluse, I would only go out to work or uni and just didn't enjoy life at all until I got my skin under control.

Positively: I guess the main positive thing I can take out of having acne is the same old cliched phrase everyone seems to use on here but it is definitely true - it made me far more accepting of others and the problems they are going through. I mean, before acne I was always open-minded and whatnot but after going through the emotional pain of acne and how people around me don't really know what that feels like I try my best to understand what others are going through and share my experiences to try and help with their problems.

negatives - skin is always on my mind, to the point where i cant get it out. makes me sick sometimes, no energy.

positives - i guess it taught me about skin care

My acne is always on my mind it is driving me insane!!! It has gotten really bad within like a month and all i wanna do is sleep or not be around anyone... ugh

Negative - Too Self-Conscious about myself, worrying about what food I eat, less socializing and hanging out with some of my friends, missing out on parties.

Positive - Learned more about skin care, not judging anyone at all by their looks. (Basically what the posters above said. lol)

negatively:

I care more about my outer appearance. later for stuff cuz im taking too much time applying products or obsessing over skin. money is lesser because buying skin products. less social.feeling like im missing out. questioning peoples motives sometimes wondering why they would bother hanging out with me

positive:

never make fun of people for things they can't help. you can't help acne and I know I will never make fund of somebody with acne. im more sensitive now

negative: i feel like i can't go without makeup, at least concealer, when i leave my room/house. i feel more paranoid what other people think of me. sometimes this is worse than other times, and sometimes im fine with it.

positive: makes me realise who the shallow people are. also iv become perfect at doing my makeup, i think i could be a really good makeup artist! my mum and dad were really good helping me through my worst times, made me feel better and appreciate them a tiny bit more.

Negative: I'm vain in bathrooms. I'm can't leave a bathroom without scrutinizing my face. Sometimes, I let my acne dictate how my mood will be for the entire day, and sometimes, that's bad.

Positive: I'm humbled by this experience and have learned a lot through research and experience. I can empathize with others. I dig that.

Negative: Obsessive skin picking and mirror checking.

Positive: Like others, I am humbled by the experience. It's also helped me find other things about myself to love and accentuate, rather than skin.

Negative: psychological effect. Acne rules my life. It decides whether I'll be going out or staying in, if I'm in a good mood, and whether I'm in a relationship or not.

Positive: if I ever get over it, I'm never going to take clear skin for granted again.

Negative: In the past 6 months it has made me lose my incredible social circle, made me more paranoid and taken away my steaming confidence. It has dictated my mood, the way my day will for instance if it looks like it improving I will have a fun day and be willing to do things else quite the opposite. Has dented my wallet slightly, has interfered with happiness and has brought a great deal of stress and depression.

Positive: Made me more wise, more accepting and brought me far more closer to my family.

Negative: made me feel ashamed of my face. never going one day of high school without a fully put on face of foundation.. for the past 4 years. that = hardly any sleep because i tend to stay up till 4 am with anxiety.

positive: made me understand suffering, agony, and debilitation. i can appreciate little things. and actually made me be proud of my scars. after accutane.. i feel like my scars r a symbol, like some tattoo of how horrible my experiences were. and how i overcame them. and reminding me that everyday is about creating a life.. and acknowledging my own freedom from that.

Nothing can shut me down.