Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traveler

Affrim vs Fraxel

Hello

I started Affirm TX yesterday for rolling and box scars (mild to moderate) on the

mid face . Anyone know what the difference is between the Affirm/Fraxel/Sciton?

I am post Accutane x 1.5 years. The acne has been completely gone since treatment.

After treatment it felt like my face was on fire for about an hour or two. The actual

treatment was pretty painless because of the topical. 24 hours later I'm still a bit

pinkish but good enough to go out without make up (im not a make up person)

No noticable difference in scars at this time but my skin does feel tighter and

maybe just a bit puffy. Maybe it's just the swelling. My RN who does the treatments

at a plastic surgeons office side she had it set on 3.5 out of a possible 5. We are going

for a more intensive treatment in 4 weeks.

Thanks

hey man ,i'm treated with affirm right now too.In the first 6 times(4 pixel,2 affirm) 8 months ago,i just noticed very subtle improvement.However,about 1 weeks ago,i request the high setting for my affirm treatment(as i read on this forum about fraxel-i don't know if the higher setting is necessary for affirm).The doctor said that she will laser me with the higher setting,which is usually set for western people(i 'm asian).At this moment,i see a lot improvement,which is very different to the former treatment(my scar is still visible,still a lot ,but they are smoother).The improvement of the first 6 times could not be compared to the treatment lately. I will try to fulfill 4 more treatments .

So maybe you should ask the doctor for more higher setting as soon as possible.any opinions regarding to what i just wrote?

Also,she wrote in the paper the setting which she lasered me.i pretend to ignore this setting to give her the feeling that 'i totally trust her'.I glimpsed she wrote 6-2,which i guess level 6 ,2 passes.now you wrote that ''she had it set on 3.5 out of a possible 5''. :surprised: .Any informations about the setting of affirm laser?

hey man ,i'm treated with affirm right now too.In the first 6 times(4 pixel,2 affirm) 8 months ago,i just noticed very subtle improvement.However,about 1 weeks ago,i request the high setting for my affirm treatment(as i read on this forum about fraxel-i don't know if the higher setting is necessary for affirm).The doctor said that she will laser me with the higher setting,which is usually set for western people(i 'm asian).At this moment,i see a lot improvement,which is very different to the former treatment(my scar is still visible,still a lot ,but they are smoother).The improvement of the first 6 times could not be compared to the treatment lately. I will try to fulfill 4 more treatments .

So maybe you should ask the doctor for more higher setting as soon as possible.any opinions regarding to what i just wrote?

Also,she wrote in the paper the setting which she lasered me.i pretend to ignore this setting to give her the feeling that 'i totally trust her'.I glimpsed she wrote 6-2,which i guess level 6 ,2 passes.now you wrote that ''she had it set on 3.5 out of a possible 5''. :surprised: .Any informations about the setting of affirm laser?

anyone have any idea about the settings of affirm laser?(what is the data?) :D .

@traveler:if you ask your RN about the settings of affirm,please let me know about it.thanks :D.

I just did Affirm # 2 today. My RN went from the last treatment set at 3.5 to 4 today.

There was a difference in comfort at the higher level but she uses a topical to take the

edge off. Next time I will be administered a pain killer for the proceedure. She passed once

full face then came back and hit the scars or any other small crows feet-nasal folds twice

(in some cases 3 times). When she mentioned that she was moving up to a 4 today I didn't

pay that much attention to it...after all, whats a 1/2 point. I'm shocked at the difference in

the way I look now compared to the 3.5 treatment. I'm considerably redder with white

streaks and can see the red cicles in my skin from the laser head. I did ask her the

highest setting on her Affirm and she confirmed it was a 5. They never use 5 except in all

but rate cases as she said she had two people blister from that setting. I will be hiding out

at home for the next 48 hours. As of now I'm as pink as can be and very tight with what

feels like a bad sunburn. I guess we will wait and see on the results. I would consider my

results at maybe a 20-30% improvement in scars and a 30-40% improvement in skin texture and small wrinkles after the first treatment. I have 5 weeks until #3.

Anyone else have the red circles/white streaks when they were done, I'd appreciate a

ball park timeline on when they go away. I'm going to look goofy at the office if I'm striped

on Monday.

Thanks all!

Hello

I started Affirm TX yesterday for rolling and box scars (mild to moderate) on the

mid face . Anyone know what the difference is between the Affirm/Fraxel/Sciton?

I am post Accutane x 1.5 years. The acne has been completely gone since treatment.

After treatment it felt like my face was on fire for about an hour or two. The actual

treatment was pretty painless because of the topical. 24 hours later I'm still a bit

pinkish but good enough to go out without make up (im not a make up person)

No noticable difference in scars at this time but my skin does feel tighter and

maybe just a bit puffy. Maybe it's just the swelling. My RN who does the treatments

at a plastic surgeons office side she had it set on 3.5 out of a possible 5. We are going

for a more intensive treatment in 4 weeks.

Thanks

i haven't undergone the fraxel treatment yet,but i did tried pixel ( according to my doctor,it's similar to fraxel but from a different company).with pixel,i hardly noticed any subtle improvement.....but with affirm,now i think i could cross my finger...........:i start seeing some improvement which could render me to stick to affirm......

i 'm not a doctor so i couldn't know what is the main differences between affirm and fraxel (how they REBUILD THE SKIN,THE FACE AFTER TREATMENT(they could totally eliminate or just alleviate,COULD FRAXEL MAKE THE SCAR TOTALLY DISSAPEAR?)), just the fundemental basis of creating more collagen......my doctor said that it's like another skin after the affirm treatment ,that's what looks like in my case somehow.especially after 'the increase of the settings' ...however,i haven't satisfied yet(maybe because i consider my case as'pretty severe',now not much people care of my skin but still,it 's pretty hard to accept when comparing to a normal person)

any success with affirm,please let us informed. :D .

I had 5 treatments of affirm for my acne scars... I was planning to have fraxel treatment in the beginning but somehow my doctor recommended affirm over fraxel. He said he abadoned fraxel because it wasn't effective, somehow he was able to convince me that affirm is a much better option so I went for it... To my disappointment, a total waste of money. Very expensive treatment with no dramatic results. May be not an option for people with moderate to deep scars... So hopefully, you'll have better luck than me... Good luck!

I had 5 treatments of affirm for my acne scars... I was planning to have fraxel treatment in the beginning but somehow my doctor recommended affirm over fraxel. He said he abadoned fraxel because it wasn't effective, somehow he was able to convince me that affirm is a much better option so I went for it... To my disappointment, a total waste of money. Very expensive treatment with no dramatic results. May be not an option for people with moderate to deep scars... So hopefully, you'll have better luck than me... Good luck!

at least i see some very positive marks with affirm.also,i heard that affirm is suitable for asian.maybe each one will be suitable with a particular treatment.for money affair,i only pay $100 per treatment.(a lot for me,but still,very cheap in compare to what i heard outside my country).another information is that laser requires several treatments so i think we should stick to it (as i have said,the first 5 pixel give me negligible improvement,but now i start hoping after 4 affirm treatment.............)mayumi211,how much 1 affirm cost in your country?

i wait to hear any more stories abt affirm. :D

at least i see some very positive marks with affirm.also,i heard that affirm is suitable for asian.maybe each one will be suitable with a particular treatment.for money affair,i only pay $100 per treatment.(a lot for me,but still,very cheap in compare to what i heard outside my country).another information is that laser requires several treatments so i think we should stick to it (as i have said,the first 5 pixel give me negligible improvement,but now i start hoping after 4 affirm treatment.............)mayumi211,how much 1 affirm cost in your country?

i wait to hear any more stories abt affirm. :D

I am still red and have some circles from the laser on my chin area. I hope this will resolve

within the next day or two. As far as results, I think I notice some softening of the

edges of the scars but it's too early to tell.

I have no idea how this treatment is going to work. My PS did say Affirm will remodel the

scar to some degree but I dont know the level of improvement just yet as it takes several

weeks for cell regeneration.

I have two scars, one on either side of the nose that I am

concentrating on as they are rather large and fairly deep. Overall I can live with those

scars if this does not work for me so I decided on a less invasive treatment plan.

Since I am no longer a spring chicken I decided to go for the laser that will also give

tightening and take care of some wrinkels.

I pay $550 for full face

I have no experience with Fraxel and will do 4 treatments before I reasses the benefits. I also have decided that I will probably just live with the scars if this does not work for me.

After 11 years of acne I cant bear to have my face ripped up again with red spots after

being clear for almost 2 years. I would suppose that would rule out dermarolling,

needeling and TCA cross. I just dont want any more red spots on my face.

I dont know if Affirm just did a good sales job

but it appears that several derms are going with Affirm over Fraxel, maybe that is just

my perception.

I wish there were more positive stories out there on the results of this laser

I've had 4 affirms since December 17 and have noticed about a 20% improvement in my moderate scarring. I have one more to go next week. I hope to continue seeing results, though.

I have had 3 Affirm treatments on my face ($500 each) and have seen absolutely no improvement at all. In fact, I believe that my skin texture is increasingly becoming worse since having these treatments. I had only very slight scarring and enlarged pores to begin with (and probably should not have done anything in hindsight) and now they are much worse and i notice more indentations and larger pores forming everyday it seems which is quite upsetting to say the least. (It has been about 3 months since my last treatment). My first question is: has anyone else experienced similar negative results after Affirm treatments? And my second question is, what should I do to fix it? I'm now considering Fraxel as it seems that many dermatologists prefer this technology and refer to it as the "gold standard" but am also afraid of damaging my skin further if indeed it is the laser that is causing these negative effects. I'm also considering smoothbeam/vbeam combination as i was told this also helps with large pores and scarring and it's less invasive (and cheaper as the Fraxel prices i have been quoted - by top derms in NYC - are around $1,500 per treatment). Would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

i too had 3 affirm treatments!! and i feel like it did nothing where did you get yorus done eli? i got mine from ucla med center....

i too had 3 affirm treatments!! and i feel like it did nothing where did you get yorus done esile? i got mine from ucla med center....

i dont know if it is about age..or time?

i did 3 treatments last year.. august was the last one... and i am satisfied with the results

so i think it might take more than 6 months to see results?

i too had 3 affirm treatments!! and i feel like it did nothing where did you get yorus done eli? i got mine from ucla med center....

i too had 3 affirm treatments!! and i feel like it did nothing where did you get yorus done esile? i got mine from ucla med center....

i dont know if it is about age..or time?

i did 3 treatments last year.. august was the last one... and i am satisfied with the results

so i think it might take more than 6 months to see results?

I had mine done at a top, well-known dermatologist office in NYC. The PA actually performed the procedure though instead of the Dr. which may be part of the problem? Did you feel like your skin got any worse after the 3 treatments or just stayed the same?

From Affirms own website:

"Note that a 1540 nm laser like the Fraxel® penetrates deeper producing greater and deeper injuries into the dermis where there is a higher concentration of nerve fibers. The larger and deeper tissue injury also requires longer healing, which translates into longer down time."

Something that penetrates deeper (but not too deep to destroy fat or anything mind you) is certainly better for most people.

From Affirms own website:

"Note that a 1540 nm laser like the Fraxel® penetrates deeper producing greater and deeper injuries into the dermis where there is a higher concentration of nerve fibers. The larger and deeper tissue injury also requires longer healing, which translates into longer down time."

Something that penetrates deeper (but not too deep to destroy fat or anything mind you) is certainly better for most people.

I would suppose the depth of your scar would dictate how deep you need to go with the

laser? I wonder if all scars need deeper tissue injury than Affirm. I suppose by virture of the fact they are scars that means they are rooted deep in the epidermis and we have to

reach that area to remodel them. If Affirm does remodel the scar (at least in a minimal way) I wonder if that would be permanent or if you dont get to the very root of the scar if it will "come back" if I can use that phrase.

I've had two treatments

the last one on a level 4 of 5 and MAYBE I see some improvement. It depends on lighting

and other factors I think. I guess I would call it mild improvement but I'll try one more

treatment at least. I have two scars in particular that are pretty deep (ice pick I think) smack dab on either side of the nose. If I can get rid of those two, I'd live with the rest.

If Affirm doesnt work I dont know what other options there are for me. I know I dont

want them cut out becuase of the down time.

As far as skin tone and texture I have noticed overall improvement. I did not experience

getting worse after treatment.

This is all so disappointing/frusterating sometimes.

do you think I could just Fraxel two small spots if this doesnt work? I heard it hurts like hell.

I was even being a baby with Affirm.

Just a week ago I had my 5th affirm treatment. This time, my dr used the new Affirm MultiPlex Laser which combines the 1440 nm with a 1320 nm pulse. The latter can go deeper. I believe he set the fluency at 2.

I've noticed a 20 to 30% improvement in the depth of my scars so far.

My dr. says he'll do one more treatment, i.e. a 6th, using the Affirm MultiPlex. After the 6th, he said we should wait a few months to see if he needs to use another laser like the Matisse.

3 treatments alone seem like not enough to me. Then again, I have moderate acne scarring, you guys must have much less.