Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AmandaJoy

Advice on cleanser and medications

Hello,

About 8 weeks ago, I started using Neutrogena Fresh Foaming cleanser (which is supposedly non-comedogenic). Since then, my skin has started breaking out worse than ever, though I'm not sure if it's from the face wash or a different makeup I was wearing. I'm currently using Finacea gel to control the breakouts and take away red marks, along with Retin-A. (I just started this regimen several days ago after seeing a dermatologist for the first time). I noticed that the Neutrogena cleanser has ammonium lauryl sulfate in it and couldn't find information on the web about whether that ingredient is comedogenic or not. Does anyone know? Also, I'm really not sure what cleanser to be using-- my derm recommended Cetaphil, but I know that that contains sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate, which I read clogs pores. I'm not sure what gentle cleanser to use that is safe and would really appreciate some recommendations, especially from anyone who is using Retin-A or Differin and/or azelaic acid. (As a side note, I'd appreciate any feedback on the medications I'm using as well...prior to about 6 months ago, during a very stressful time in my life, I had mild acne that was almost completely controlled by over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide creams).

Thanks so much!

Amanda

Hey just be patient with the prescribed medication and also use a bar of Dove soap... It will soothe your skin without any irritation.