Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Why me??

Opinions on high-end line of skincare

I'm not familiar with the high-end stuff since I only go to pharmacies or drugstores, but what do you think of the high-end products from brands like Dermalogica, Origins, etc (I seem to only know these two)?

Do they work much better than the stuff you find in a drugstore (like nivea, st. ives, clearasil, etc)? I mean, even if they do not get rid of acne, but as long as they actually make the skin healthier, it's still more worth it than spending on cheap products which do not give you above-average results.

So what do you think? Which brand is good? I need to know before I actually spend $30-50 on a cleanser that would only last me 2 or 3 weeks...

You should read the book "Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me" by

Paula Begoun if you haven't yet. It's a great book, lots of info about different

skin care lines and almost every one of their products. After I read that I was able

to find some great products and my skin has been awesome ever since. :D

And sorry, I can't remeber the reviews for Dermalogica and Origins.

Or you could go to one of her websites: www.cosmeticscop.com

www.beautypedia.com

:D

You should read the book "Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me" by

Paula Begoun if you haven't yet. It's a great book, lots of info about different

skin care lines and almost every one of their products. After I read that I was able

to find some great products and my skin has been awesome ever since. :D

And sorry, I can't remeber the reviews for Dermalogica and Origins.

Or you could go to one of her websites: www.cosmeticscop.com

www.beautypedia.com

:D

You don't necessarily need reviews to determine whether or not a product is good. One particular product may be effective on someone's skin but may be causing breakouts on someone else's (due to differences in skin types, allergies to certain ingredients), therefore reviews don't totally determine if a product is good or not.

Answer to your first post: No, more expensive skin care products do not necessarily mean they are more effective than less expensive skin care products. Sometimes, those that are less expensive are even more effective than those more expensive products. What I recommend you do is to do some research on skin care products and ingredients. Take note of what is irritating, what isn't, what to avoid in a skin care product, what to look out for, and then go down to your pharmacy / drugstore and find something that isn't irritating etc etc. It may look a bit weird reading the back of every cleanser, moisturizer etc etc but in the end it pays.

Let me give you an example, I paid £44 ($88 ish) for a 3 step regime from Clinique - a high-end brand. The cleanser was in a soap and extremely drying, toner was basically alcohol with a bit of red coloring and the moisturizer was the greasiest thing ever. Result? Nothing. Yes I agree, this regime from Clinique may have been effective on someone else, but alcohol is an ingredient which should be avoided, and talk about being a high-end skin care line.

Good luck!

My experience has been much the same as willeh's, unfotunately!

I hoped that "higher end" meant better research or better quality ingredients, but whether or not that was the case, my skin has actually reacted better to simpler, more basic products than what I've found in most cosmetics. I went on a cosmetics spree for a while, trying to find the right magic potion: tried Mary Kay (just bc a friend was a dealer), Clinique, Aveda, and a couple of Origins products. My skin haaated the Mary Kay; saw no real effect from the Clinique; no noticeable effect from Origins; and actually reacted very badly to Aveda. I think Aveda works for many people, and they advertise as being as "natural" as a high-end cosmetic line can get, but I think I was just plain allergic to some of the plant ingredients. I still haven't figured out which ingredient(s) it was, but almost any Aveda skin product makes me either dry and crinkly, or puffy and swollen!

In the end, I found that my skin likes Black Soap (yep, plain ol soap) plus jojoba oil best. However, a friend of mine swears by Aveda, so there you go!

You probably just need lots of experimentation to find what's right for you. :) I've taken to avoiding anything with a long ingredient list, just bc I've had bad experiences. But you might find your specific magic in something high or low end. Good luck!

The high end skin products I know for men are Zirh, Anthony Logistics, and John Varvatos.

Zirh I've tried only the shave stuff and it's awesome but I've never tried their cleaner, scrub, etc.

Anthony Logistics is amazing. Best stuff out there that I've tried.

John Varvatos another high end expensive line but I haven't tried and won't ever because he's a fashion designer and they don't know shit about skin care IMO.

does high end mean expensive?

I found that lots of cheaper stuff work just as well or even better than products like clinique or w.e

the most I spend on skin care now is 25$ for each the Image clear cell cleanser and bp cuz it awesome

well i think it depends on your skin type....I have oily skin, 22 years old male.......I hate oily products in the morning, its okay in the evening..........i hate moisturizers, any kind, seems to break out everytime i use them.......the only sunblock that was not oily and would not make me look "white, ghostly" is VMV Hypoallergenics Ramada SPF30 sunblock.........I would definitely recommend VMV to anyone........LOL, most of my family members are using VMV....hope this helps

Thanks for the replies.

I was reading the websites posted by effendi and the beautypedia.com site and it would seem Paula really knows her stuff. Her low-down on the brands look good and unbiased, and those are competing brands as well!

Paula's Choice products arent too expensive, and they do refund if you arent satisfied. Any experience using the products?

Yeah, Paula is really great at what she does. Make sure to check out the articles in the Skin Care Facts section -- her youtube videos are also good sources of info. I'm a big fan of her products, you can probably tell by my signature below. I'll try to answer whatever questions you may have.. I'm a total Paula'sChoice Junkie :razz:

Yeah, Paula is really great at what she does. Make sure to check out the articles in the Skin Care Facts section -- her youtube videos are also good sources of info. I'm a big fan of her products, you can probably tell by my signature below. I'll try to answer whatever questions you may have.. I'm a total Paula'sChoice Junkie :razz:

I agree with Fiyero, my new regime which consists of products all from Paula's Choice is the best thing I've ever used out of Clinique, Neutrogena, Simple and SK-II. If you're getting the cleanser and BHA from PC's skin care line, then you should really consider a sunscreen as well. BHA makes your skin more sensitive to the sun = higher risk of sun burn and other problems related to the sun.

If you're getting the cleanser and BHA from PC's skin care line, then you should really consider a sunscreen as well. BHA makes your skin more sensitive to the sun = higher risk of sun burn and other problems related to the sun.

Guys, do the PC cleansers (esp. Skin Balancing Cleanser) lather or foam well? I hate cleansers which I have to use large amounts just so I can spread it well over my face. And is it a gel or cream cleanser?

Yeah, they only have 2% for the liquid. I'm hoping that someday they'll come out with a 1% version- although the 2% hasn't caused any problems for me. I just wish they'd give you the extra option.

As for the cleansers- As far as I know, the only Paula's Choice gel cleanser is the One Step Face Cleanser for Normal/Oily skin. The rest are all creamy, with different consistencies. I believe the creamiest one is the Skin Balancing Cleanser, followed by One Step Face Cleanser for Dry skin which is more of a light lotion. I haven't tried the Skin Recovery one yet.

Paula claims cleansers don't have to lather to be effective, so her cleansers aren't that foamy.. I believe the one that lathers up the most is Skin Balancing, but it's a relatively small lather compared to other cleansers like Purpose.

BP will not make your red marks last longer. The likeliness of that happening decreases even more if you use BP along with BHA, since BHA is an exfoliant. If you were to use both you would have to use only a very thin layer of BP and only on the areas where you tend to breakout.

If you do decide to get a sunscreen in the future, I recommend the Ultra-Light SPF 30 spray.

I also want to make one other suggestion: If you're starting out with only two products, I suggest you get the BHA along with a toner instead of the cleanser. Paula's cleansers are great, but IMO they can be easily substituted by drugstore cleansers that might work equally as well in the meantime. I can't say the same for the toners. There is not one that can compare to the PC ones and I think you will get more of your money's worth due to the quality of the ingredients (antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, anti-inflammatories, etc.) I recommend either Skin Balancing or Moisture Boost.

That's just my opinion though. it's up to you to decide since it is your money after all :thumbsup:

Wow thanks for the long post.

What does a toner do exactly? Does it just reduce pore size or does it so something else too? Because I thought that was all the toners did, but it seems PC's toners do much more than that?

Also, you really think it's a must to use a sunscreen while on a BHA exfoliant? I guess I'll have to buy that too... I might try the samples for the Blemish Fighting Solution, but for the other products like the cleansers, toners, sunscreens or exfoliants I dont think one sample is enough as it's just too little in quantity.

I do want to try Paula's cleansers, as I cant seem to find a really good cleanser around, what other cleansers do you recommend? I cant find Purpose or Cetaphil cleansers here.

A toner delivers healthy ingredients to the skin, helps rebuild the outer layer of skin by delivering good, healthy lipids, gets rid of any dryness/flakiness, and helps as an extra cleansing step. If you're still not sure, try ordering a sample. Then use it with a cotton pad after cleansing and you'll see why a toner is so great. Let's just say that cleansers don't always cleanse like they're supposed to...

This is what Paula has to say about BHA and sunscreens:

Do I have to use sunscreen if I am using an AHA or BHA product?

For the long-term health and appearance of your skin, you certainly should get in to the habit of applying sunscreen every day, rain or shine, especially when you are using an AHA or BHA product. Since these topical exfoliants work to remove layers of sun-damaged skin, it is vitally important that the fresh, new skin is well-protected from UV light. Ironically, the sun-damaged layer of skin (which the AHA or BHA products nicely remove) serves as your skin's first line of defense against sun exposure. Think of it as a callus that offers minimal protection while keeping your skin from looking and feeling its best.

A toner delivers healthy ingredients to the skin, helps rebuild the outer layer of skin by delivering good, healthy lipids, gets rid of any dryness/flakiness, and helps as an extra cleansing step.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the 2% BHA Liquid and the Skin Balancing Toner, and maybe the Ultra-Light SPF 30 Spray, plus samples of the cleanser and blemish fighting solution. I need to know how well it lathers before buying it.

I've placed an order for the 2% BHA Liquid, Skin Balancing Toner, and the Ultra-Light Weightless SPF 30, plus samples of Skin Balancing Cleanser and Blemish Fighting Solution.

I'm wondering, I just started using Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, and upon application my skin does feel tight, but wait a while and it feels nice, and it does seem to control my oil a little bit... making it less viscous. My skin feels smoother. What I'm wondering if I can use the Aloe Gel along with the BHA, Toner and sunscreen?

i was thinking of trying paulas skin balancing gel. does anyone know if it actually works to help control oil throughout the day?

I've placed an order for the 2% BHA Liquid, Skin Balancing Toner, and the Ultra-Light Weightless SPF 30, plus samples of Skin Balancing Cleanser and Blemish Fighting Solution.

I'm wondering, I just started using Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, and upon application my skin does feel tight, but wait a while and it feels nice, and it does seem to control my oil a little bit... making it less viscous. My skin feels smoother. What I'm wondering if I can use the Aloe Gel along with the BHA, Toner and sunscreen?

Yup, you can still use Aloe vera gel with your paula's choice products. You would use it after the BHA, and before the sunscreen. And congrats on all the new products =]