Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoeBloggs

Is scarring easier to handle then very severe acne?

Last year around February time I got very severe acne, my face would often be swollen in the mouth and eye areas that completely distorted my facial shape, I had interconnecting cysts that basically covered both of my cheeks, and during that time my face was completely destroyed.

Now my skin is looking a million times better (but still shit) and in a few months I should be clear of any remaining acne(thanks to tane), and in a year or so I should be clear of any existing red marks (from waaaay before accutane) but that will also mean I will have to face the challenge of scars.

Since the time when I had severe acne I believed that I would be able to live life with scars without a problem, that because I had gone through the worst stuff I would be able to handle scars easily.

But lately I have been having doubts, after seeing all the topics on how much scars can effect someone its made me think, back when my face was bad I said that I could deal with red marks, but here I am with a face full of red marks and Im not really dealing with it (sitting at home, doing nothing with life, dont like going out in the daytime etc).

And now I am saying I can deal with scars but not red marks, so Im just thinking when the time comes and my acne/red marks go away will I be able to deal with it better? Or am I just deluding myself?

Anyone who has experienced severe acne and moderate/severe scarring I would really appreciate your thoughts!

Personally? I think scars are worse. But maybe thats because I only have more scars than acne? I don't mind the red marks so much, but I have icepick and rolling scars on my forehead and cheeks so practically most of my face. Red marks I can cover up but not these scars.

I think it depends on what kind of scars they are. If they're flat-ish, they're easier to cover up than active acne is. Also, scars don't physically hurt as much, so that would be better. And I think I'd rather be done with the acne and have some scars, than still have the acne and worry that the scars are still getting worse. You know what I mean?

I mean, it sucks to have scars at all, but at least you're reaching a point where it won't get any worse, so you can know what to expect.

I haven't had either severely, but from some pics I've seen, I would prefer the scarring to the acne.

This question is almost contradictary :think: because the scars come from the acne, so most people who suffered severe acne would have scarring, unless you are being hypothetical?

I couldn't really say if one is worse than the other but if you have gotten to the stage where you are only dealing with scars and not the severe acne anymore then that is somewhat of a good thing. At least scars are there and won't really get any worse unless you severly aggrivate them and you don't have to worry about them as much as in having to keep acne at bay.

I only have mild scars and one medium depth one and I would take these over acne or red marks anyday because once the redness goes from them and they match your own skin colour I don't think they look quite as bad.

Both are horrible, obviously, but (and I suppose it's easier for me to say since my acne is mild rather than severe now) I think scarring can be harder to deal with than having acne in a lot of ways. I guess it depends on how severe the scars are - I'd take minor scarring over severe acne but I'd rather go through bad breakouts again than have the scars I do now, if I could be mostly scar free in the future.

At least when my skin was severely broken out I had the hope of it one day clearing up... now I don't have that, it's just a terrible feeling of permanence. I wouldn't mind so much if they were more localised but they're so widespread over my face that I've never truly felt clear, even though the bad breakouts have stopped.

Then again, there are more options now to improve scarring and not having to deal with the painful breakouts anymore is a major plus... but still, as grateful as I am to have gotten rid of the horrible bumps and redness at last, having to live with these chunks out of my face as a permanent reminder isn't easy at times. Ultimately, both are pretty draining on self-esteem and I suppose it varies among individuals whether they'd be more accepting of scars over active acne.

To be totally hypocritical though, I find acne scars perfectly sexy on other people. To me, it gives them more character and hints at maybe a little more depth to their personality because of what they've had to go through.

Personally I always thought that scars werent that bad looking, Id say its about 10x nicer to look at then active acne but then when you have a lot of scars it is pretty unsightly.

Anyway my OP was pretty vague, let me expand

When I had severe acne I didnt deal with it well whatsoever, thats something I can admit. I became a complete recluse, I couldnt go out for the life of me, I only went out to see close friends and only at night, everytime I had to fill up my car I dreaded it. The guy at the counter would always nervously stare at my face and I would pray there wouldnt be anyone else buying anything.

So yeah, I would personally say that I didnt have a choice really, unless I wanted to be stared at everywhere I went,

But the thing is back then I used to say to myself. Well when this severe stuff goes and Im left with red marks over my face I'll definately be able to regain my self esteem and go out and live life again.

But now Im still the same , I dont like going out and stuff, but I dont even have severe acne anymore, just red marks mostly. And yet Im still a complete recluse ,and have no self esteem.

I go out a little more then before, but not much at all. And now Im saying to myself that once the marks have gone and Im left with scars I'll be able to regain my self esteem.

I have seriously thought that would be the case for ages, I always thought Id be able to deal with the scars no problem, but seeing how much trouble I am have dealing with the red marks I have started doubting it.

I guess the question I am asking is - Does it get any easier?

Well severe acne usually causes scars... So I would think they would be almost equally hard. But without the acne, scars are not so much physically painful.

It depends on if you would rather have the emotional or the physical pain. But there is always the circumstance where you will have to put up with both. It is difficult to choose.