Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunday

Keeping my acne under control is wrecking my life!

So I have cystic acne.

I've been following the DKR regimen almost religiously, taking supplements of a, c, omg3, zinc... and following a strict diet of fish / rice / vitamin-a rich vegetables (carrot/pumpkin only). Drinking 8-10 glasses of water per day, trying to sleep well (hard!), stopped intake of caffeine and alcohol entirely.

When I do all that, my face is clear, occasionally crystal clear. I still get the occasional cyst (usually big and angry) but apart from that... clearer than I've ever been.

But as soon as I stray from this (in my eyes) incredibly over the top regime, I turn into a cystic mess! I go out to dinner ONE night and it's all over. I spend ONE night staying up late talking to my girlfriend and it's breakout central. Not to mention as a skinny 20 year old male, my body weight is at an all time low thanks to this stupid diet, and I'm just starting to wonder if a clear face is worth all this! The moment I slip up I break out!

I felt I couldn't have a social life with acne, now I feel like I can't have a social life without acne either because of all the hoops I have to jump through to stay clear. It just seems like I can't win. I guess I'm curious, has anyone else run into this same issue?

Most people in my shoes would just jump straight on accutane so I guess I'm one of a dying breed... I promised myself I wouldn't do the accutane thing because before this whole mess I used to be into downhill mountain biking and am fairly dependant on strong muscles / bones / ligaments... I told myself wrecking my body wasn't worth a clear face. I'm starting to change my mind though, and I don't want to. I just want to cry.

It doesnt sound like you need accutane since your skin is crystal clear at times like you describe. Maybe there is something else thats causing your acne rather than slipping from your regimin. Have you spoken to your doctor or derm about it?

It doesnt sound like you need accutane since your skin is crystal clear at times like you describe. Maybe there is something else thats causing your acne rather than slipping from your regimin. Have you spoken to your doctor or derm about it?

Unfortunately my skin is only clear when I'm following the regimen (plus everything else I mentioned) religiously. If I slip up on just one aspect (eg. lose sleep, eat fatty foods) for a day or two, I break out. If I stopped doing everything I do my acne would probably classify as moderate to severe (w/2-4 cysts at a given time) and leave me a viable accutane candidate.

Speaking to my doctor/derm won't achieve anything... I'm not sure if they're the same everywhere or not, but solving the acne problem via the medical system here seems to follow this equation:

Trial 2x tetracycline family antibiotics, at least 3 months per trial

Failure of 2x tetracycline family antibiotics = isotretinoin [accutane]

Frankly, short of the joys of spending money to argue with someone supposedly educated on the subject (which might be fun I guess) I'm not interested. Dan's site here is probably the closest thing to good dermatological advice I've seen, and I guess I've proved to myself that his solution works (at least in the short term, or for as long as you are willing to be dedicated to it) but that in itself is part of my current problem...

Well, I also never wanted to take accutane. I finally did, I'll admit i took a few steps backwards in physical health, but a yr later i not only got it all back but i became stronger than ever. I was my strongest in my life after tane. So its not gonna permanently ruin your body for say.

I can definitely relate with you. I, like you, have avoided dermatologists at almost all costs because I don't want to deal with the trial-and-error method of topicals and other prescriptions. I congratulate you on at least finding a regimen that will/does keep you mostly clear; I'm still working on finding that balance. Don't loose faith. If you do go out with friends to eat, etc...perhaps look for alternative food options that fit into your diet.

On a side note, perhaps you could try to incorporate other foods back into your diet in order to feel more satisfied or full. If so, try fruits and veggies that have beneficial properties. For veggies, why do you only eat ones that are high in vit. a? I know that vit. a is beneficial, but a wide variety/intake of veggies is helpful in maintaining a healthy body (esp. since it seems as though you're not getting those vitamins/nutrients elsewhere in your diet.). For fruits, maybe try to incorporate some that have anti-inflammatory or antioxidant properties such as blueberries, raspberries, etc.

Here's a link to an article about anti-inflammatory foods: Foods

Hopefully I helped some...