Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elvybeauti

Did high altitude and stress cause my acne?

This seems crazy at first, but I can't think of any other explanation.

I'm originally from Syracuse NY, which has an elevation of 580ft., and is almost always cloudy, and humid. To say the least, it's not one of those nice, sunny, places you visit on vacation.

I moved to Denver, CO in August 2007, which has an elevation of 5,280 ft, very very dry, and is ALWAYS sunny and amazing weather (except at 3 pm during the summers, when it rains for 4 minutes out of nowhere).

Within 1 month of moving to Denver, i got severe cystic acne. I've always been extremely healthy and clear-skinned, until I moved here.

My theory is that upon moving here, my skin was shocked at the thin air, which means less oxygen, and very high UV rays.

Within that first month, i also went hiking in the Rocky Mountains, and reached elevation of 11,000ft. I wore sunscreen, but i still experienced slight burnage. The air is so thin up there that I know the UV rays were drilling into my skin. I thought SPF 30 would be fine, but now I don't think it was enough.

After the first month of very bad acne, i tried using sunscreen more, but it kept getting worse. It wasn't until after 3 months that I finally got to the dermatologist and started Accutane.

Well, we all know that acne worsens with sun exposure, which is why I'm thinking the thin air/high UV rays played a huge part in causing such bad acne.

In august, I also began grad school, (the reason i moved to denver) which has greatly increased my levels of stress (due to money, time, work, etc.).

Could this combination have caused such a fast development of horrible skin??

I really want some opinions, thoughts, ideas, and to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

wow! that happened to me too. I moved to parker (it's like 20 minutes from denver, and higher in altitude I think), then I got acne :shock:

OH BOY

I hope it was just stress : (

I already have pretttyy bad acne, and I live in New Hampshire, and this summer I'm moving to Albuquerque. I CAN'T take anymore.

so for the sake of both of us, I hope it was just stress hahaha.

Good luck with tane

Yes, it is extremely dry here, which is why I drink more than 1 liter of water a day (soooo much water), especially because i'm on Tane.

Angela, when you move, just avoid getting stress and hopefully you wont have problems.

I'm going to truly focus on not getting hyper over stupid things and grades, and be as calm as possible all the time, and see what it does.

I moved to Japan from Canada, and my face looks horrible now!! I only ever had 1 or 2 pimples before. Dunno about the altitude but the weather is completely different here.

I don't know about altitude changes, but when I moved a few years back the water was completely different. We were living for a few years in a remote Australian town and the water was heavily chllorinated. Like you could smell it in the shower some days, and even taste it in the water. Didn't seem to affect me while I was there, but when I returned to the city after 3 years my skin broke out badly.