Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flawless

What is the difference between scars and red marks? What do I have?

Ok...so right at the moment Im not sure what I have. This dermatologist that I went to told me I had deep scarring and I needed to get a bunch of laser treatments...but this dermatologist was a cosmetic derm and I think he just wanted my money, because I switched derms and the new one tells me I have red marks. I dont know who to believe. What i have: flat, red spots...not all of them are perfectly round, some of them are irregular in shape. They aren't pitted or anything. so what are they?

Are those red marks indented? If they are then those are scars. But if your red marks are just red and are not indented, then they are just red marks, not scars.

If you run your fingers along your skin and feel indentions then yes, you have scars. But if they are just red than they will fade with time.

If you run your fingers along your skin and feel indentions then yes, you have scars. But if they are just red than they will fade with time.

Sometimes you can't feel indented scarring. The best thing to do is to look at yourself in a mirror where you have light shining from behind, where you can see the texture of your skin but not so much the red marks. That will tell you if the scars are indented or not. If not, the redness should completely fade in time. If so, the redness will fade and the indents should also improve over time, although the indents may not go away completely. Depends on how bad they are.

Red marks are usually flat areas of redness where the pimple used to be. Scars are physical indentations in the skin. If you can't tell if they are indented do as sweetheart says above me and use harsh lighting to your advantage.

I used to tilt my head in the mirror in my kitchen (fluorescent lighting) to tell if some of my red marks were indented.

But don't worry if your marks are smooth or indented/pitted, the red marks do fade in time and most indented marks, or the redness in these scars I had faded and left me with some mild dips/pits only really noticable to myself.

It just sounds like you have flat red marks so give it time and hang around the forum and you'll probs find something that works for you.