Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anybody tried this before? Using sunlight, tanning booths, self or spray tans to mask the red marks left from acne?

Does it work and would you recommend it?

Thanks,

James.

I use Dove self-tanning facial moisturiser, it's a good moisturiser and also evens out my tone a bit. I don't looked tanned much, just a bit more colour I guess. It makes me feel better about my red marks, you can't notice them anywhere near as much.

i'm sure there will be a million 'freakouts' on this topic, and for good reason. there are lots of dangerous effects of tanning, and 80% of aging comes from sun damage.

with that said...

i was in the same boat as you, i had marks that were ALMOST GONE..but even if they were gone, i was unhappy with how pale i was from exfoliating/meds, etc... so i started going to the tanning bed 1/2 times every 7 days. i have had really good results. my smaller marks have completely disappeared/blended in and the larger ones don't look as bold and disgusting. i am aware that this might make them last longer, but for me, my self esteem was diminishing every single day, i wouldn't leave my house for more than 5 hours because i would want to retouch my make up, i wouldn't stay with friends after late nights, and my life was disappearing because of them! so a quick fix has brought all of this back, and i think its completely worth it. so, yes, its damaging, but i PERSONALLY think it can be worth it for some.

Thanks peeps for a good question, and honest answers....

I've been avoiding the sun like the plague as I heard it made marks last longer. I'm definitely gonna try this to see if it improves their appearance.

I've been avoiding the sun like the plague as I heard it made marks last longer. I'm definitely gonna try this to see if it improves their appearance.

i went tanning.. and it seems like my red marks are more vissble now :S :S :S wtf?

will the edventually bleach?? anyone else experienced this?

i tired the tanning beds for that reason....for only like a month hah. i didnt tan at all.

how much exposure do you have to have before the aging effect happens?

i went tanning.. and it seems like my red marks are more vissble now :S :S :S wtf?

will the edventually bleach?? anyone else experienced this?

I actually used a tanning booth today. Very space age.

And my red marks have become more magenta. Is that a good sign that shows they're fading or does it indicate that they're flaring up again?

I go tanning once in a while in the winter.. because I hate being extremely pale.. I went a couple times in the last month, also to get a base for going away at the beginning of May.. but anyways I find it does seem to reduce the red spots, I never really thought about it until now.. but they dont completely go away.. just seem faded because your a little darker.

In terms of self tanning lotions and moisterizures, which is best, Dove or Jergens? I would like to try one, but I dont want to break out.

I definitely think it has to do with the type of skin you have. I'm Asian and my skin color is pretty fair but I happen to tan pretty well. It sucks being pale in the winter because my acne leaves awful red marks, even the smallest whiteheads I get leave marks.

Anyway, I went to Florida last month and I got a pretty decent tan there. I felt AWESOME--my red marks were COMPLETELY gone, save one or two rather nasty ones, and I know that sun damage is terrible for the skin and all, but a little tan now and then won't hurt too much. My skin tone was pretty uneven from all the hyperpigmentation marks leftover from acne in the fall/winter but I'd never felt so great after getting that tan. I say if it makes you feel good, why not?

I don't know how this compares to getting fake-baked though, somehow I don't think tanning beds work as well as natural sunlight does. Also, my tan has pretty much faded, and it hasn't really done my red marks any good. The best it does it hide it for a while. =(