Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm beginning to think that I am a pretty darn unlucky person...And that maybe I should have appreciated having mild acne while I had it.

Like most everyone else, I started getting acne around puberty and it was alright--maybe one or two pimples at a time, with the most being maybe five. I'm sure that it might have cleared up with age. But anyway, a few years passed and my family and I recently visited Taiwan. I started breaking out a lot more than usual on my forehead area, and I decided to use Olay daily facial pads to see if it would help. The first day, it was great. Dried out one huge pimple near my hairline and made my face feel oil-free. The second night, I had a huge fight with my sister and after applying the facial pads, went to bed. When I woke up the next morning, all hell had broken loose. There was a ring of pimples near my eye, completely scattered on my cheeks and basically everywhere on my face. Literally, forty pimples in one night. I am completely dumbfounded and kind of pissed about it. What's ironic about it is that the previous day, I had told myself I was lucky to have clear cheeks. Not anymore.

Anyway though, so I guess now it's jumped from mild acne to severe or at least on the far end of moderate. And all in one night. I'm on medication, but I doubt all forty disgusting pustules are going to be gone by the time school starts.

Has anyone else experienced this--using a product that has just made you break out really really horribly? I'm guessing it was the extremly drying facial pads that's causing my breakout--I mean, I even have pimples around my eye, which is a basically oil-free area.

---sighhhh

"What's ironic about it is that the previous day, I had told myself I was lucky to have clear cheeks. Not anymore. "

Well, can relate to that. :S

Clearasil's BP "Vanishing" cream.

I swear, I think that was the cause of my cystic acne.

Before I had mild acne. Then my mom picked some Clearasil up for me.

At first it really didn't do much but I stuck with it, after a week or two my acne was still the same, if not worse.

So by that time I was finished with the tube, my mom went out and bought me the generic version of it I guess, the Equate brand my Wal-Mart I think.

That seemed to work better, but again I used it all up and got back on Clearasil.

It began by reallyyy drying out my skin, then within a couple weeks I developed severe acne.

I wished I'd never used that product.

And it all went down hill from there.

That was around, mid-Decemeber I'd say.

I was lucky that when I broke up in huge, horrible cysts I was on winter break.

There was simply nooo way I could have gone to school like that.

My face looked like a pizza with life size pepperonis :P.

My forehead was pretty much clear during everything, but my cheeks, jawline, and chin was what got hit hard.

Not only did I have like 5 cysts on each cheek, but to top it off I had whiteheads by them, or on top of the cysts, and my chin, ohhh myyy, my chin was covered with white heads, LITERALLY 10-15 white heads, every size, on my chin.

It was until then that I actually realized how bad my acne was and that was when my self-esteem got shot down to an unheard of low in my life.

I couldn't even look my family members in the eye, let alone come out of my room, I didn't even want my own blood to see me at my worst.

On the Monday that I went back to school, my cysts had gone down a bit, but they were still there.

Then by the end of the week they came back with a vengeance.

I was dumbfounded at how my face could have gotten that bad in a week.

I was dumb, and I didn't know anything about acne back then so I got on Proactiv and it dried my skin out horribly and didn't do me any good.

I started missing school because I'd wake up and my face was peeling and super dry.

I begged my mom to let me stay home, I missed a day a week for about, 3-4 weeks.

So my parents and I had enough of this and after trying home remedies we scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist. He told me my acne was real bad for my age and prescribed me Minocycline and gave me some sample bars of Cetaphil.

That combo got my acne under control but I still had a couple cysts left over and still a handful of nodules. So my 2nd appointment he said I was improving and prescribed me Doxycyline and Retin-A. That combo was what finished off my acne, and now I'm left with alot of red marks and a bit of scarring from my severe acne.

Haha, sorry, I got real in-depth.

I just felt like sharing my acne story :).

I'm beginning to think that I am a pretty darn unlucky person...And that maybe I should have appreciated having mild acne while I had it.

Like most everyone else, I started getting acne around puberty and it was alright--maybe one or two pimples at a time, with the most being maybe five. I'm sure that it might have cleared up with age. But anyway, a few years passed and my family and I recently visited Taiwan. I started breaking out a lot more than usual on my forehead area, and I decided to use Olay daily facial pads to see if it would help. The first day, it was great. Dried out one huge pimple near my hairline and made my face feel oil-free. The second night, I had a huge fight with my sister and after applying the facial pads, went to bed. When I woke up the next morning, all hell had broken loose. There was a ring of pimples near my eye, completely scattered on my cheeks and basically everywhere on my face. Literally, forty pimples in one night. I am completely dumbfounded and kind of pissed about it. What's ironic about it is that the previous day, I had told myself I was lucky to have clear cheeks. Not anymore.

Anyway though, so I guess now it's jumped from mild acne to severe or at least on the far end of moderate. And all in one night. I'm on medication, but I doubt all forty disgusting pustules are going to be gone by the time school starts.

Has anyone else experienced this--using a product that has just made you break out really really horribly? I'm guessing it was the extremly drying facial pads that's causing my breakout--I mean, I even have pimples around my eye, which is a basically oil-free area.

---sighhhh

Clearasil's BP "Vanishing" cream.

I swear, I think that was the cause of my cystic acne.

Before I had mild acne. Then my mom picked some Clearasil up for me.

At first it really didn't do much but I stuck with it, after a week or two my acne was still the same, if not worse.

So by that time I was finished with the tube, my mom went out and bought me the generic version of it I guess, the Equate brand my Wal-Mart I think.

That seemed to work better, but again I used it all up and got back on Clearasil.

It began by reallyyy drying out my skin, then within a couple weeks I developed severe acne.

I wished I'd never used that product.

And it all went down hill from there.

That was around, mid-Decemeber I'd say.

I was lucky that when I broke up in huge, horrible cysts I was on winter break.

There was simply nooo way I could have gone to school like that.

My face looked like a pizza with life size pepperonis :P.

My forehead was pretty much clear during everything, but my cheeks, jawline, and chin was what got hit hard.

Not only did I have like 5 cysts on each cheek, but to top it off I had whiteheads by them, or on top of the cysts, and my chin, ohhh myyy, my chin was covered with white heads, LITERALLY 10-15 white heads, every size, on my chin.

It was until then that I actually realized how bad my acne was and that was when my self-esteem got shot down to an unheard of low in my life.

I couldn't even look my family members in the eye, let alone come out of my room, I didn't even want my own blood to see me at my worst.

On the Monday that I went back to school, my cysts had gone down a bit, but they were still there.

Then by the end of the week they came back with a vengeance.

I was dumbfounded at how my face could have gotten that bad in a week.

I was dumb, and I didn't know anything about acne back then so I got on Proactiv and it dried my skin out horribly and didn't do me any good.

I started missing school because I'd wake up and my face was peeling and super dry.

I begged my mom to let me stay home, I missed a day a week for about, 3-4 weeks.

So my parents and I had enough of this and after trying home remedies we scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist. He told me my acne was real bad for my age and prescribed me Minocycline and gave me some sample bars of Cetaphil.

That combo got my acne under control but I still had a couple cysts left over and still a handful of nodules. So my 2nd appointment he said I was improving and prescribed me Doxycyline and Retin-A. That combo was what finished off my acne, and now I'm left with alot of red marks and a bit of scarring from my severe acne.

Haha, sorry, I got real in-depth.

I just felt like sharing my acne story :).

I know what your talking about. I also started getting pimples at a young age but it wasnt anything too bad. Then i started to use otc's and it didnt do anything. It only slowly made my face worse untill my cheeks and neck were covered with pimples. After about 2-3 years of putting my face through hell i finally visited a derm and eventually got clear. Crappy meds have made my acne go from moderate to severe in just a few years.

Yah and Taiwan's hot/humid weather can really break a person out. :doh:

Ybnvs:

Yeah, that's pretty much how my story went.

I don't know why I broke out sooooo bad though.

I had tried some BP products before and my face never broke out like that. I too still have a bit of acne left on my forehead and some small red bumps on my chin, and I occasionally get a white head, a pimple or two on my cheeks.

But this damn scarring and red marks really get to me and make my face look worse then it is.

My skin actually feels smooth, but it looks like shit at times.

Monsieur Beck:

Yeah, I honestly wish I could at least go back to when I started severely breaking out now that I have all this knowledge.

I used to pop a lot of my cysts and white heads which I think is the main cause of all these red marks and scarring.

My face would actually look better than it was a few years back if it wasn't for all this post-acne hoobla :P

But they'll fade within time.

"What's ironic about it is that the previous day, I had told myself I was lucky to have clear cheeks. Not anymore. "

Well, can relate to that. :S

You always see those warnings on most over the counter and prescribed meds.

"Conditions will worsen and then progressively get better" crapola.

I was prescribed Differen and Erythromycin that had to be refrigerated before I went on Accutaine, and Differen durring and post treatment.

The antibiotic erythromycin did that to me once, but not as fast as you had it happen, more like over a week. Went from a few nudules to full out 10 nodules on my face predominantly (some on chest and shoulders)

TO be honest, if you don't want to take accutane, just go get the Differen. It really helped me control breakouts of the paps/pusts type and some nodules. Also ask your doctor about having an elevated Vitamin A diet. Isotretinoin, the active ingredient in Accutane is a metabolite of Vitamin A. Retinol (vitamin A) is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and metabolized in the liver into retinal. Retinal is irreversibly oxidized into retinoic acids, which

reversibly interconvert into each other. 13-cis-retinoic acid (isotretinoin, thus Accutane) is one of those acids.