Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ILoveMyPuppy

Camping for a month and acne!!

So this summer im going on a whole month camping trip as a field study for school becuase im a biology major and its giving me a bunch of credits.

The problem!! Is that i have mild acne. Lately i have been breaking out more and its mainly due to the weather. I live in San Antonio, Texas...where the weather is dry heat, and some humidity, and really hot and its been goin from that to cold and rainy and muggy.

And right now im tryin to deal with it, but i dont know what i will do when i go to this trip. I have never camped before and this is a completely new experience for me. And anyone who suffers with acne can understand that i will want to continue treating my face no matter the circumstances, because it does really bring me down and i have a huge insecurity about it and this is a concern for me for my trip.

I will be going to west texas, new mexico, arizona and back. And i will have some shower facilities and there will be some instances where i wont be able to shower and when i will have to use a bag filled with water to shower. So any mineral makeup recommendations or cleansers and how i should treat my face in these extremes. REMEMBER I WILL BE IN THE DESERT! ( it can rain, snow, get cold, hot...etc!)

Right not i use:

Mario Badescu Enzyme cleanser (really gentle)

Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner

Alpha Hydrox Lotion *wait*

Pro-Active bp lotion

tried bare escentiuals awhile ago and didnt work well but i believer it was bc i was still using the whole pro-activ 3 step system and they both dried my skin

Right now use Lancome foundation (Teinte Idole)

Oh and i know it sounds silly...u are gonne be outside and no one will care..well when u go with 25 people u dont know and u see how everyone else has flawless skin...it really can make a damper on me and this trip in a small way bc i want to be able to enjoy it and not worrying that everyone can see my discoloration, pimples and white heads and large pores

I really think it is a bad idea to use makeup when you go camping. In the heat and sweat and such it will make your makeup look bad..unless of course your makeup is waterproof...

I know your pain. It really does bring ya down. Lately ive been sick of it as well and basicly been eating healthy and drinking healthy while washing my face regularly to see if it works. So far it SEEMS to be doing okay but I have only been doing it a couple of weeks.

So bascily, what are you eating and drinking mainly? Are you eating a lot of fast food/drinking a lot of soda? If so just try to eat healthy and drink healthy. Drink lots of water and I recommend diet lipton green tea (comes in 16oz bottles) since water isn't the most tastefull thing to constantly drink. Make sure its diet though because the regular has a lot of sugar and calories (about as much as soda). It also contains anti-oxidents which well...its good heh. Wash your face 2 times daily (I sometimes do more but it can dry out ya skin)

On a side note, I live in Arizona and a month from now and I would say it would be good weather. I assume if your going to camp in Arizona it would be in the woods somewhear so it won't be hot. (Unless for some odd reason youd camp in the middle of nowhere)

i think what you should do is really try to clean up your diet maybe a month before your trip.

why?

in case you get stressed or whatnot, your skin won't react as badly.

drink fresh cut up fruit (3 different fruits) /soymilk smoothies once a day. take one or two 500mg of flaxseed capsule everyday with the smoothie.

stay away from fast food, dairy, and bread. eat as pure to nature as you can. like using olive oil and making your diet consist mostly of vegetables.

I've been doing this for TWO weeks and my skin has looked the best it has in YEARS .

is there a link for the soymilk smoothies?? and if not what does it consist of?? and can it be the chocolate soymilk?

And do i jus add three different fruit and blend?? which do u use?

Basically what do u mix in ur drinks id try anything.

And thank u everyone on ur advice...more advice would be great

is there a link for the soymilk smoothies?? and if not what does it consist of?? and can it be the chocolate soymilk?

Anyone else have anymore suggestions?

I can't believe adopting a "healthy" diet is being given as the number 1 course of action. Surely you should go see your doctor and consider getting some antibiotics prescribed? Apart from that I don't really see anything you could do...you're just going to have to stick it out realising there is far more to life and follow the basic rules (e.g. don't touch your face!)

I have heard of those face wipes, might be useful when you are trying to wash w/no water. I saw that some people on this board are using "Pond's Cucumber Exfoliating Clean Sweep Face Wipes." There may be other brands.

Also, in regards to makeup I am not sure what you usually wear. I think you would have more success with a mineral makeup rather than trying to do liquid foundation. The mineral makeups are powders and yes they cover as good or better then the usual liquid stuff. I like Bare Minerals, but that can be more expensive. I think they sell mineral makeup at Walgreens/CVS type places - Maybelline maybe?

For a concealer, I like the Cover Girl brand that comes in a tube with a stick (blue cap) or Cover Girl's CG Smoothers (foundation, but use as a concealer only). You can put this on any darker spots that the mineral makeup doesn't cover. I live in a very hot climate and this concealer stays pretty good.

Trust me, I would not go out without makeup. I don't care what the others say. Whether you are outdoors or inside all day doesn't matter. I would not just forget about it and have fun, because I wouldn't be having fun if I thought people were staring at my face.

so you've already been but for anyone who wants an answer to this i recommend going to your doctor and getting some antibiotics prescribed and then going on the regimen and whilst camping make sure you look after you face as difficult as it may be. take some wipes but ultimately try to cleanse apply a topical and moisturise every night.

on the plus side whenever i am at festivals and find it more difficult to wear make up than usual i usually find that my skin actually looks better to me maybe because i get a bit of a tan and that hides it but i think that when you stop caring so much about how you look when you do get a chance to look in a mirror you are pleasantly surprised.

Oh and take a mirror if your a girl and will want to wear make up try not to wear it all the time like you would in the city but obviously i understand that you will feel the need for it sometimes.

x

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but honestly, I'd bite the bullet and skip makeup. You'll be sweating and getting dirty, and combining that with makeup is not going to be kind to your acne. On a research trip your companions will have better things to do than stare at you, and I doubt they'll really care enough to take notice of it. I'd also looking into some cleansing wipes that you can use without water for the days when you have limited access to water.

i live in alaska, dry. cold. i went to hawaii for like 3 weeksn and i was really worried... we also did alot of outdoor activies and whatnot. i did sweat alot. but i made sure to wear very little makeup, but whenever i could i would run to a sink and just rinse my face with water, just water. it really helped actually. that and the combo with the heat dried any active pimples i had, and took away any shine i had. id say.. just rinse your face as needed with warm temp water. ALSO there is this aveno tinted moisurizer, that has really good coverage and spf 30. i love it. doesnt break me out. check in to it

good luck