Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekygal

Long Signatures

I'm guessing I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, since really long signatures seem to be the norm around here.

But really, it looks absolutely ridiculous when your signature is longer than your post.

Not only that, but for some of us it really impedes load time, and it makes the page maybe twice as long as it should be. I'm guessing that about 40% of the scrolling/page down-ing I do on this site is to get by lengthy signatures. Waste. Of. Time.

Now, I realize that it's nice to have a few lines to identify yourself. To tag on an inspirational quote, a note of your progress, a reasonably-sized picture, a link to your blog, or whatever. That's fine.

But is it really necessary to have 10+ lines of your entire daily regimen after EVERY SINGLE POST? I mean, yes, this information may seem relevant to the very broad, very diverse topic of "Acne," but is it really relevant to EVERY thread? To EVERY post?

I promise you, if you have an absurdly long signature, the only person who's really going to look at it (with any interest) more than once... is you.

I mean, if you want to share this information -- and I'm sure a lot of it is actually useful, in the right context -- why not just start a thread for that purpose, and link it from your siggy? That takes up much less space, and you still get your point across. (I've seen some people who have already done this, and kudos to them.)

Awhile back, I got really annoyed when my favorite forum started to limit signatures to only four lines. But you know what? I'm REALLY starting to see the point.

UPDATE:

I have broadband, and a fast computer. What a lot of people don't get is that PHP is server-side code. Since the pages are generated by the server each time a thread is called, longer text means there's going to be a longer load time, no matter what your internet connection is like.

And I (obviously) don't have an issue with long text, as long as it is relevant and in an appropriate place. I'm willing to wait the extra couple of seconds for a page to load, as long as I know that less than 50% of the page will be crap.

I agree, geekygal. I'm all for compact signatures. You've inspired me to prune mine down more :)

Also, for anyone who has a long signature and is kind enough to consider suppressing it when not making posts where your acne regimen matters: uncheck the "enable signature" box when you post.

I agree, geekygal. I'm all for compact signatures. You've inspired me to prune mine down more :)

Also, for anyone who has a long signature and is kind enough to consider suppressing it when not making posts where your acne regimen matters: uncheck the "enable signature" box when you post.

I think we still have a limit on how big siggy's can be. We even have a bot that removes them if they get too long. His name is Sigbot. :)

I wonder if Sigbot has been sleeping on the job? :think:

I think we still have a limit on how big siggy's can be. We even have a bot that removes them if they get too long. His name is Sigbot. :)

I wonder if Sigbot has been sleeping on the job? :think:

Guest Bubbly

Really, the only offender here is Lucy.....

The sig is longer than the main thread windows.... therefore distorting the whole thing :/

While we're complaining about ugly posts, most of these avatars don't look so hot either. I don't think I'll ever understand the draw some people have towards dolling up their profiles and signatures with pictures (that aren't of them personally; personal pics are fine and even nice), multiple paragraphs, quotes, etc. etc. that nobody else is going to even look at in any serious way anyway.

This isn't just this site either; it's basically every forum that allows this kind of stuff.

Whoops hahaha.. :lol:

I actually like reading the big signatures it helps you with what products/treatmet to try or stay away from. When I first joined the forum I went through a heap of posts just to find out what people were doing to clear their acne by their signature, not what they were writing in the post!! lol

OK so I took all the space bars out just for you, it made my signature bout 7 lines shorter lol

All you gotta do is uncheck the box that says Enable signature when you don't want it shown. :)

Another forum I post on has a scroll bar for the signatures that are longer then a set amount. That way all signatures take up the same space but those that want really long ones can scroll for them. Just a thought.

Why isn't a rule made of something like 15 lines at most or 10 or something or whatever. And mods can edit it if it's too long. It's better than this scrolling stuff.

the scrollbars annoyed me too, so i took them off. we will think of some more signature rules that sigbot can enforce (such as font sizes and # of words and/or letters) so that the signatures are not too long.

the scrollbars annoyed me too, so i took them off. we will think of some more signature rules that sigbot can enforce (such as font sizes and # of words and/or letters) so that the signatures are not too long.

I really like the information in peoples' sigs (the products they use, their regimens, etc.), but I agree with you that it makes reading the boards kind of tough, when you have to scroll past all the sigs. Would it be possible for the people in charge to add a section to our personal profiles where we can write out our regimen info? That way, people can share that info in one place.