Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been an insomniac for a long time and as a result Im always lethargic. If I didnt have work today, I would sleep most of the day. I sleep well in the day time but not at night even if I do not nap, its hard for me to sleep at night. Do any of you here take iron pills? Do they help? What brand do you use? Any information on this would be helpful

I was never an insomniac, but I am tired most of the time also. I went to the doctor and got blood tests, but they all came back normal (I thought I was anemic). My doctor just suggested that I get on a regular sleep schedule, keep exercising regularly, and always try to eat breakfast. Surprisingly, these things work. When I follow her advice I feel much better. I thought about taking iron pills, but I heard they make you constipated.

No, my blood tests have showed up negative in the past. Although, I havent had one of those tests done in a year. My mom is anemic though and she also had thyroid disease.

I dont exercise. The only exercise I get is in the nursing home where I work up a sweat. Im so tired I dont have energy to do anything. I almost thought about calling in sick to work today.

Dang, it might be the nursing home that's got you so tired. My friend works in one and she's tired a lot, too.

She said one time this old man was like, "Do you like me?" And she said, "Yeah, I like you, do you like me?" He said, "No! I hate you!" And tried to bite her.

I was never an insomniac, but I am tired most of the time also. I went to the doctor and got blood tests, but they all came back normal (I thought I was anemic). My doctor just suggested that I get on a regular sleep schedule, keep exercising regularly, and always try to eat breakfast. Surprisingly, these things work. When I follow her advice I feel much better. I thought about taking iron pills, but I heard they make you constipated.

Is 100 mg really necessary? The RDA's only 27; you could probably take that amount without getting constipated. Right?

Sorry to hear your having trouble sleeping Molly. Working with those old people will take a lot out of you. I agree with other posters that maybe you should try and fit some exercise into your day. It should definitely help you feel more tired at night if you can do some a few hours before you would ideally like to get to sleep. It could be something as simple as going for a short jog or buy yourself an aerobics video or something :shrug: as long as you can fit around half an hour in and take as much out of yourself as you feel comfortable with. Take a warm bath after it to help you relax.

Maybe you should go and get another check up if you feel anything more serious is causing your lethargy. Good luck.

Iron pills made me break out really badly a couple of years ago when i had been clear for years....as soon as i stopped them the acne went away.....be very careful....if u start to break out stop them....

Dang, it might be the nursing home that's got you so tired. My friend works in one and she's tired a lot, too.

She said one time this old man was like, "Do you like me?" And she said, "Yeah, I like you, do you like me?" He said, "No! I hate you!" And tried to bite her.

Last time I checked (last year) I had low levels of iron. I tried increasing consumption of red meat but I didn't think that was enough so I bought iron supplements. Mine is the Spring Valley brand from Walmart; it doesn't contain gluten, lactose, preservatives, or artificial flavors, but it does contain some soy. One tablet is 27 mg, or 150% DV. And it doesn't make me constipated.

Maybe you always feel tired because of your diet. Do you eat a lot of nutrient dense foods that actually give you energy? What kind of food do you eat every day?

Improve your diet, eating more fruits and vegetables and good sources of protein - NOT packaged meals, microwave meals, etc. Cook. Eat breakfast within an hour of getting up in the morning; that alone will improve your energy levels throughout the whole day.

Exercise a little bit at least every day. Lift some weights. As you lose weight, you will feel less tired.

Find an activity you enjoy and that you do well, that creates something. Work on perfecting it. Get immersed in your hobby and stay away from the computer.

If the above do not work, consider doing them all, PLUS changing your schedule to working night shift as you sleep better during the day.

(raises hand shyly) So, this is way out of left field, but I used to feel mysteriously fatigued off and on for ages, even if I was able to sleep. I discovered it was because of a food allergy! Or, an intolerance, actually: I'm fructose intolerant, so eating fruit, wheat, and most vegetables actually make me lethargic (and a whole host of other unpleasant symptoms -- weirdly, since for anyone else on the planet, fruit and veggies are cornerstones of health).

Anyway, just a heads up to keep an eye out for something else diet related. :) Many food allergies and intolerances go undiagnosed, so it might be something to get checked out if anemia doesn't reveal a smoking gun (for wheat or dairy allergies, sugar intolerances, etc). Hopefully that's not it, but wanted to spread the word...!

After i began supplementing with zinc i m facing sleeping disorder i suspect i have iron defiency.i trying to eat iron rich food as much as possible.Recently i began supplementing with Melatonin which helps for getting quality sleep and it is non addictive.I take this 1 hour before i go to bed , i m happy with the results so far