Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello - I apololgize if this has been discussed before.

One of my Anthropology professors says that hunter-gatherer's don't get acne. She says it's because they're eating something that we wouldn't normally eat - Dirt. They don't just eat dirt, but when they're preparing their food, it's mixed in, unavoidably. I don't remember how much she said they consume a year, but it's a substantial amount. She said that there's minerals in the dirt that we don't get enough of. We asked her what the solution was to this, and she says she takes Magnesium tablets. What do you think? Have you heard this before? I've thought about starting this, but I'm currently on Accutane so I'm waiting. (14 days left!) If my acne comes back, I may try this.

I can only advise you to quit accutane right now. It will destroy your overall health, even if your bady can balance the negative effects of the stuff, it will not heal your acne!!

Well..... I'm not entirely convinced that dirt is that nutritious (is she a nutrition expert?) and it is probably best avoided, well, because it might contain harmful bacteria etc etc. There is a reason why we are hygenic about food and food preparation. I suppose abit of soil might be good for the immune system etc....

But anyway. I think saying something like 'hunter gatherers don't get acne' is completely non-sensical, it is a sweeping generalization, and I'm sure there must be some hunter-gratherers who have acne because of genetic reasons or whatever.

One thing I will say is this: I tend to find that my acne clears up considerably when I go for extended periods of time on fieldtrips (I'm a geologist) --- when you're outside all day for two weeks, battling with the wind and the rain, its like your face really needs the extra oil and skin-- otherwise I'd swear that without my extra oil my face would have dried up. Also, I think the extra sunlight it gets helps too. So perhaps its a shift away from the outdoor lifestyle (e.g. hunter-gatherer lifestyles) and into our indoor cacooned lifestyle, thats to blame.

Magnesium is a very good micronutritent and I'd try to include it in my diet regardless of whether I had acne or not.

Most people don't get enough magnesium in their diet, so yeah it's beneficial. I'm not sure it would help acne much, however.

Read this forum; the best way to treat your acne are by holistic means, meaning that taking Accutane or taking magnesium pills are not your best options available to you.

Hello - I apololgize if this has been discussed before.

One of my Anthropology professors says that hunter-gatherer's don't get acne. She says it's because they're eating something that we wouldn't normally eat - Dirt.

Well I've only got 2 weeks of Accutane left, so I think it's a little late to worry about how it has (if it has) effected me negatively. Although I admit that I wish I'd found this site before I went to my doctor.

My professor spent a lot of time with hunter-gatherers and knows many people who have, so I kinda figured she knows a bit about what she's talking about. However I do agree that it could be several different factors put together for the reason they don't really get acne.

Well two weeks is a lot of time for taking such a toxic drug.

I hope you read about all the side effect. Especially the long term side effect, which are not necessarily stated. I was like you: Close my eyes and get through, it won't kill me and everything will be alright, but it won't especially once your digestion is messed up, this affects not only your skin, but every detail of your body and human being....