Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User47728

Androgens and Histamine

http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/cgi/...nt/167/1/71.pdf

Histamine production was dramatically reduced when male rats were castrated. Histamine levels returned to normal when the castrated mice were given supplemented androgens. Acne, as we know, involves excess androgens, or excess sensitivity to androgens. Perhaps allergens don't cause acne, maybe androgens make us prone to allergies and acne?

I mention this because of the trend I've noticed in myself and others on this board who notice that common food allergens seems to make their acne worse, such as wheat, dairy, nuts, etc. And there does seem to be a link between histamine and androgens.

What do you think?

I think it may be true? I have morning flu a lot and sometimes i take anti-histamines when its out of control. This androgen thing may be causing me my spots, hair thinning and sinus problems. What a combo to have=(

Could be a coincidence, but it seems that when I do things that are supposed to control androgens (good, sleep, exercise, omega 3, low gi etc.), foods that bothered me before with acne or gi symptoms dont anymore or not as much!

Yep. And Vitamin C is an anti-histamine and was part of the vitamin combo (b-complex, Zinc and C) I took that was the first thing that ever helped me. I have rosacea as well and my face is never red anymore.

It's also good for the adrenals. There's a thread on that somewhere.

So are you saying that excessive androgens causes excessive histamine, which causes abnormal allergic responses to certain foods...yet we aren't really allergic to them, and we would be able to tolerate them if androgen levels were normal?

And does anyone else wish that curing acne was as easy as taking a pill without any side effects?

So are you saying that excessive androgens causes excessive histamine, which causes abnormal allergic responses to certain foods...yet we aren't really allergic to them, and we would be able to tolerate them if androgen levels were normal?

And does anyone else wish that curing acne was as easy as taking a pill without any side effects?

I think it's important info. I've had chronic sinus problems around the same time I developed acne, and it's still going strong (although greatly reduced due to my change in diet).

I have oily skin, acne, allergies, etc. All seemed to happen at the same time (post puberty).

Vitamin C is a good one

Ive never megadoed but supposedly 18,000 MG a day of Vitamin C will help acne..... thats a HUGE dose which isnt lethal but 36 times more then the 500MG a day recommended serving

It would be easier to overdose on the soy lecithin that's packaged with the Vitamin C than the Vitamin C itself.

I didn't know vitamin Cwas an anti-histamine, that's interesting.

Salt is a natural antihistamine also.

Lately I've been drinking peppermint tea because it's anti-androgenic, 3 cups a day, and I've been able to eat chocolate, peanut butter, and wheat, things I could never eat before. I think this androgen-histamine thing may be why.

It would be easier to overdose on the soy lecithin that's packaged with the Vitamin C than the Vitamin C itself.

I've been using loose leaf peppermint tea in a metal tea ball dipper thingy, lol so I don't know if there's a difference between doing it that way and using the pre-made paper tea bags in a box. Maybe pre-made tea is more processed and so less effective? I don't know. The tea costs waaay less when I bought it in bulk, so I just do it that way. I've also been thinking about getting some peppermint extract, but I haven't really looked into that yet.

Oh, and also I sweeten the tea with xylitol instead of sugar or honey.

This might be of interest: the mineral copper apparently is able to signifanctly reduce histamine, and too much copper actually results in histamine levels that are too low.

Maybe it would be worth it to take a milligram or two of supplemental copper, especially those of us who have been taking zinc for elongated periods of time.

This might be of interest: the mineral copper apparently is able to signifanctly reduce histamine, and too much copper actually results in histamine levels that are too low.

Maybe it would be worth it to take a milligram or two of supplemental copper, especially those of us who have been taking zinc for elongated periods of time.

Histamine production was dramatically reduced when male rats were castrated. Histamine levels returned to normal when the castrated mice were given supplemented androgens. Acne, as we know, involves excess androgens, or excess sensitivity to androgens. Perhaps allergens don't cause acne, maybe androgens make us prone to allergies and acne?

I mention this because of the trend I've noticed in myself and others on this board who notice that common food allergens seems to make their acne worse, such as wheat, dairy, nuts, etc. And there does seem to be a link between histamine and androgens.

What do you think?

What do you think?

Could be, but the fact that allergenic foods trigger in inflammatory response could also be the reason. What I've discovered is that along with blood sugar issues chronic, low-intensity inflammation is another big reason for acne. Inflammation also leads to blood sugar issues and vice versa so those things reinforce one another.

More then that IMO...

I usually shoot for like 10 MG a day, thats well over the recommended limit but if you suspect a Copper Defiency then Ive read thats fine to take

Copper is dirt cheap... got a Bottle of 2MG Copper Pills, 300 in the bottle for under 3 bills

right now Im doing

Methionine 1000MG

Copper 10MG

Vitamin C 17,000MG

Calcium + Magnesium - 2000 MG Calcium, I think around 500 Mag.

All of those are beneficial in Histadelics and those with High Histamine Levels... Ill keep all posted

More then that IMO...

I usually shoot for like 10 MG a day, thats well over the recommended limit but if you suspect a Copper Defiency then Ive read thats fine to take

Copper is dirt cheap... got a Bottle of 2MG Copper Pills, 300 in the bottle for under 3 bills

right now Im doing

Methionine 1000MG

Copper 10MG

Vitamin C 17,000MG

Calcium + Magnesium - 2000 MG Calcium, I think around 500 Mag.

All of those are beneficial in Histadelics and those with High Histamine Levels... Ill keep all posted

Bump.

Just something I thought was worth viewing/discussing again. Because we get into trends too much and some people forget there are other factors besides the trend of the day.

Other related thread about experimenting with prescription and OTC anti-histamines with link to lengthy healthboards thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2383325

I don't know, I thought I read that acne prone individuals don't usually have abnormally high levels of androgen hormones. I've also not found anything about an unusual sensitivity to androgens in acne prone people.

If it were true, you'd think that males would be breaking out far worse than females since we have like 17 times the level of androgens females have, but breakouts are about the same across the sexes. I'm still thinking it has something to do with deficiencies in diet as an underlying cause.

I've been taking my B5 supplements again (with B-100 complex) and the improvement in my skin is staggering. I'm thinking something has caused me digestion problems (I did test positive for gluten sensitivity) and resulted in malabsorption issues that cannot be corrected unless I get the vitamins and nutrients I need in the right quantity to reverse a possible "debt" that I'm in.

Going to add vitamin C to the mix and see if I can't get rid of this chronic sinus issue I've had.

I don't know, I thought I read that acne prone individuals don't usually have abnormally high levels of androgen hormones. I've also not found anything about an unusual sensitivity to androgens in acne prone people.

If it were true, you'd think that males would be breaking out far worse than females since we have like 17 times the level of androgens females have, but breakouts are about the same across the sexes. I'm still thinking it has something to do with deficiencies in diet as an underlying cause.

No, it's that they might not necessarily have abnormally high levels at the current time. They may have been high in the past, and/or their receptors may be more sensitive.

And males ususally do have worse acne, at least in the teen years. I know when I was in high school, there were several guys that had extremely inflamed acne covering their face and/or back so that huge areas were red. I was the only female in my school that came close to that. No other girl had large inflamed cysts or nodules. My friends would complain about breaking out and I'd have to ask where, because it wasn't noticable.

Here's another possible antihistamine I came across. I don't know why I didn't note where the info came from:

Proanthocyanidins are flavonols found in apples, cinnamon, grape seed, cocoa, grape skin, and red wines of Vitis vinifera. However, bilberry, cranberry, black currant, green tea, black tea, and many other plants contain them. Of interest because:

* Proanthocyanidins reduce histamine production, and are used in the treatment of allergies.

* Proanthocyanidins help improve circulation by strengthening capillary walls. This is especially important for people with compromised circulatory systems, such as stroke victims, diabetics, arthritics, smokers, oral contraceptive users and people with general cardiovascular insufficiencies.

* Proanthocyanidins inhibit enzymes that break down collagen. Proanthocyanidins help collagen repair. The breakdown of collagen is what causes our skin to lose its elasticity which in turn causes wrinkles. Proanthocyanidins help keep skin elastic, smooth and wrinkle-free. Proanthocyanidins are also taken as an oral cosmetic to help in the prevention of wrinkles.

* Proanthocyanidins act as an internal sunscreen. Inhibiting the daily effects the Sun's rays have on our skin is our best defense against the aging of our skin.

* Proanthocyanidins cross the blood-brain barrier to protect the blood vessels in the brain.

Proanthocyanidins cross the blood-brain barrier. This enables proanthocyanidins to fight free radicals in the vessels of the brain that in turn will help them remain healthy. This can result in increased mental acuity, a decreased potential for stroke, and possibly in fighting senility.