Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AOEE

Very short/mild IB on Tretinoin

I have been on Tretinoin 0.025% for 4 weeks exactly now for very mild acne. I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash followed by ACV topically and a generic erythromyocin/BP cream in the AM's. I do the same in the PM's but use Tretinoin instead of the EM/BP.

The first 2 weeks I had dry, red skin. Pre-cystic bumps would show up pink but were very sensitive so I avoided popping/picking them.

Weeks 2-4 were worse, I had more pink bumps and some visibly pus-filled acne.

Starting a couple days ago though, I noticed my skin was a lot clearer than the Weeks 2-4 IB stage, and everything seemed to be healing. No more pus-filled cysts, no more pink bumps, I don't even need to use moisturizer anymore. It seems to be getting better each day because I don't have any new bumps appearing (or they are tiny and disappear in a day).

But I have read and hear from many of you guys here that the IB is THREE MONTHS. Differin's claim is improvement after SEVEN WEEKS. Did I just get lucky and see improvement real soon, or are there "cycles" during the IB?

Thanks.

It's just hit and miss I suppose. Like you, I had a very mild initial breakout when I started using tretinoin. I think it occurred after the second week, lasted maybe a week, and that was it. I was paranoid for a long time, but I've been using it for 3 months and have only seen improvement. Hopefully this is your case, too!! :)

It all depends. I used differin and it made me break out even more for 4 months and never improved. On retin-a there is no set "initial breakout" period... it all depends. sometimes people never even experience the IB!

^Thanks for all the info. I'm more optimistic now. Had been dealing with acne for nearly 4 years and just never did anything about it. So glad I finally saw a derm and got it taken care of (hopefully once and for all). :)