Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slightlystoopid111

How important is a cleanser?

When I use a mild cleanser before I apply my medication at night, the next day I will wash my face in the morning and there will be dry skin in places where it usually doesn't show if I didn't use a cleanser.

My question, is it worth it to get severe drying / itching by cleansing your face before putting on medication? When I don't cleanse my face is near perfect with barely any drying. I just never understood what the point is with cleansing when it hurts me more than helps. My dermatologist strongly supports cleansing, and tells me to do it twice a day when I can barely even do it once.

Cleansing is very important if you use acne medications. If you clean the layer of oil and dirt first, your acne medications will reach your skin and pores better, making them way better to work. Besides that, people with acne should clean the skin AT LEAST once a day to remove this oil, dirt and dead skin cells to prevent the pores from clogging and forming a whitehead.

Some people also state its for killing the acne bacteria, but i don`t believe that because its always there anyway...

I think the increase of drying might also be caused by the medication itself, because it works more into your skin.

Be sure to use a gentle cleanser though.

Cleansing is very important if you use acne medications. If you clean the layer of oil and dirt first, your acne medications will reach your skin and pores better, making them way better to work. Besides that, people with acne should clean the skin AT LEAST once a day to remove this oil, dirt and dead skin cells to prevent the pores from clogging and forming a whitehead.

Some people also state its for killing the acne bacteria, but i don`t believe that because its always there anyway...

I think the increase of drying might also be caused by the medication itself, because it works more into your skin.

My thoughts exact. For a cleanser I recommend Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, I've also heard great reviews about Purpose cleanser but never tried it myself.

My thoughts exact. For a cleanser I recommend Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, I've also heard great reviews about Purpose cleanser but never tried it myself.

I've used 4 different cleansers so far that claim to be "gentle", but after repeated use prove to be the exact opposite for my skin. My skin starts out extremely dry after water touches it, then becomes oily as it tries to compensate for the dryness.

So is it worth it to get even worse dry skin to become cleansed?

Cleansing is important to remove dirt, il and debris that can clog your pores. I do find that the gentle cleansers are best. I am supposed to use a BP wash (Per my Derm) but find it too irritating and switched to a sulfate free cleanser and my skin loves it and it removes all the dirt without overstripping the skin. I have to treat my skin like it's dry rather than combination. Drier skins need more gentle cleansing. I can't even use cetaphil, so I'm using a cleansing oil instead and in within days, I really mean like 2 days of not overstripping my skin, it looked tremendously better. So I'm chucking th BP wash as a cleanser and only using it for short contact therapy in the mornings. I leave it on for about a minute, no scrubbing, then rnse thoroughly. It will still kill bacteria that way.