Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
firefly7

Sun beds. Yes I know they can give me skin cancer but...

In my opinion they're bad - in the long run anyway. You've already stated one of the consequences which is an increased risk of developing skin cancer (there are other consequences too which I can't recall). Sun beds are basically 'mechanical suns', they're designed for tanning similarly if you were to lie outside when it's sunny in attempt to get a tan. IMHO, use sun beds for what they're designed for - tanning, and not acne.

The tan you get may temporarily cover up pimples or red marks but the tan will fade with time.

I'm not 100% sure what tanning beds are like for active acne but for red past acne spots they are not good! Tanning beds seem to make the red spots stand out more :S

UV exposure pro-longs hyper-pigmentation. I have three red marks below my eyes that have been there since the summer, I was out in London lots without sunscreen on. It's been 8months and they are as dark as the spots that I got from a week ago. :(. Don't tan until red marks are gone!

You sure it's from tanning and being in the sun? Theres some people who have had theirs for years and never went tanning..

Though I wont deny the whole process of tanning that in the end "could" eventually lead to prolonging the healing.. It's all either quote or thought, never seen an actual study on it(though if someone has in-depth info on it, please post). As far as tanning being bad for your skin, theres pros and cons of it..

If you haven't put in much thought of it, I recommend searching basically tanning in general. Gives you an idea of what some people results were after and just maybe if your lucky, find info on someones prolonged results of tanning.. I always would put it as a last resort though, just don't avoid the "real" sun..

This is the pimple/whitehead forums. Is your question refering to tanning red marks, acne or both?

thanks guys. i should have mentioned that i live near the scottish borders in england. so it will be a good few months before we have any 'sunshine.'

i have tried self tanning in the past but the product itself always seems to make my mild acne worse. id always thought the sun or sunbeds might acne but thought id get your opinions before i take the plunge.

on the downside, a lot of people in the uk use sunbeds (for obvious reasons) and you can always tell a person who have over used them in thier life. the skin looks like an old leather boot! but would a couple of short sessions a week help 'dry up' my existing spots?

thanks guys

Have you tried BP? It's potentially less harmful than sun beds and also dries up pimples..

I have read that tanning may have a beneficial affect on acne for some people. I cant give you the link to the article I read but here is a summary/explanation

You know how they have laser treatments for acne? They use a form of light that kills the bacteria under the skin.

This simulated light in the laser is just a intense version of light that would normally come from the sun. The theory is that tanning would expose you to this wave length of light that helps to kill the bacteria under your skin.

However the pros to this supposed theory there are definitely cons, which everyone else here as already mentioned i.e. looking old and leathery, skin cancer, hyper-pigmentation, etc.

I have read that tanning may have a beneficial affect on acne for some people. I cant give you the link to the article I read but here is a summary/explanation

You know how they have laser treatments for acne? They use a form of light that kills the bacteria under the skin.

This simulated light in the laser is just a intense version of light that would normally come from the sun. The theory is that tanning would expose you to this wave length of light that helps to kill the bacteria under your skin.

However the pros to this supposed theory there are definitely cons, which everyone else here as already mentioned i.e. looking old and leathery, skin cancer, hyper-pigmentation, etc.

If you do end up tanning though, try a Bronzer.. Should reduce the amount of tanning sessions you have to do, though I never used one.. They give an almost stingy/tingle feel to the face, hopefully wouldn't break you out if you ended up using one.. I wouldn't tan just for acne though, unless you got it completely under control and just want to hide/vanish of your marks leftover..

If you do end up tanning though, try a Bronzer.. Should reduce the amount of tanning sessions you have to do, though I never used one.. They give an almost stingy/tingle feel to the face, hopefully wouldn't break you out if you ended up using one.. I wouldn't tan just for acne though, unless you got it completely under control and just want to hide/vanish of your marks leftover..