Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Piroshky

About To Go Insane: Newfound Frustration + A Little Background

*If in the wrong section, my apologies, please move as you see fit*

So first, a little history. I've been using DK's Regimen for a good 2-3 years now, however every 6-9 months I've had to go without it for a week, so just as I'm really clearing up, I fall off the wagon and have to start from square one. I've had incredibly dry skin, incredibly oily skin (when using Jojoba to treat the dry skin), and incredibly red skin for a while now.

About 6 months ago, my face was dry and irritated, so I scratched it for a day or so. Unfortunately for me, I'm positive that upon scratching it over the course of a day, something from under my fingernails got into my skin and infected it, as a month or so later, I had a crusty, orange scab over my skin, with sores that, after removing the scab, would slowly but surely leak orange gunk which would harden and form a scab. So for a month or so I had a cheek covered in a weird orange stuff that I can scrape off but would itch and make my skin horribly off-color (even more so, as on the regimen my skin is a soft rose - very different from my normal dark Germanic white). Frustrated, I tried the internet, looking at various things with similar symptoms in an attempt to self-diagnose what I have. All the possibilities pointed to one solution - a tropical anti-biotic. So to test out what I might have, I began applying Neosporin, which is a "First Aid Antiobiotic Ointment - Containing Neomycin, Polymyxin B Sulfates, and Bacitracin Zinc." This worked wonders! Cleared my skin up to it's original tone, no more scab, however I knew I would have to go off it, as being a tropical ointment, it was very shimmery and people began to comment that I had something wet on my face (which was slightly more embarrassing than the dry skin) and it was just impractical in general. So, I went off it, bit the bullet, and unfortunately, a little over a week later it came back in full force.

So, I knew what a possible fix was, and began the cycle of doing it for a few weeks, going off, going back on, etc, until recently, when I went off it for a little over a week. Completely back, I scheduled a derm appt, thinking it'd take 3-4 weeks (before scheduling, I went back on the Neosporin), however I got one three days later (not enough time for the scab to come back fully).

Today, at the derms, she walks in and swabs my cheek with alcohol, and then tells me it's just acne." And I said (paraphrasing), "No, it's not that, it's on this part of my cheek (where no acne is) and it's discolored and patchy. The only problem is I didn't know I'd see you this soon, so I was still on Neosporin." She then tells me, "That wouldn't affect my diagnosis, I'm prescribing you Differin and "Clearout?" but keep doing your regimen."

I'm frustrated, because my acne is nothing to complain about, but I do have scarring on my cheek, but it can't heal, because the infection sits on top of it! She didn't even bother to give me the time of day, just prescribed me two drugs that will make my face dryer, redder, and more acne prone, instead of giving me a damn tropical anti-biotic to kill the infection. She even agreed that it was an infection after telling her what it looked like before.

Can anyone share an opinion on my situation (whether I need Differin, what I should do, etc.)?

I'm about to just go off all regimens and wing it, it's such a hassle and a bother when I never get real results anyway (my acne is not mild to severe like Differin suggests, I just need something that won't dry my face out (and thus irritate my skin) and something that doesn't leave my skin red!).

Pics:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9609/p1010050uj7.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4902/p1010051vq8.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/640/p1010052et3.jpg

(I had a late night :shifty: )

(Chin redness is explainable, because I just started shaving daily and found it works wonders in keeping away the dead skin)

Current Regimen:

-DK Cleanser

-DK BP

-Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

Application Locations:

-Left Cheek, Nose, Chin, Above Upper Lip

Current Age: 18

tsk tsk, dermatologists. :snooty:

Looks like maybe you need to take some antibiotics to get rid of that infection, you can't keep using Neosporin forever. Maybe you could also find an antibacterial soap to wash with. I don't know any though, trying to find one myself.

Good luck.

tsk tsk, dermatologists. :snooty:

Looks like maybe you need to take some antibiotics to get rid of that infection, you can't keep using Neosporin forever. Maybe you could also find an antibacterial soap to wash with. I don't know any though, trying to find one myself.

Good luck.

Do you actually live in D.C. or are you from Maryland/Virginia and trying to look cool? (Don't worry, you're not the only one :) )

If so, what school do you go to? I have a friend at Gonzaga.

Do you actually live in D.C. or are you from Maryland/Virginia and trying to look cool? (Don't worry, you're not the only one :) )

If so, what school do you go to? I have a friend at Gonzaga.

I didn't! Haha, that's just the only school that I know of in D.C.

Do you know a Brendan McMahon? (probably spelled that wrong)

Tall, red-haired kid, good sense of humor.

Don't mention anything, he musn't know where you've seen me. :ninja:

Hehe, jk.

I didn't! Haha, that's just the only school that I know of in D.C.

Do you know a Brendan McMahon? (probably spelled that wrong)

Tall, red-haired kid, good sense of humor.

Don't mention anything, he musn't know where you've seen me. :ninja:

Hehe, jk.