Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mans

Can exercise make acne worse?

Okay, So I noticed my acne started to get worse when I was on glycolic acid cream and went exercising 3-4 times a week (jogging).

Now my face is the worst ever. My whole face seriously has acne. every square inch.

I have been 99% clear 2 months ago. So I'm trying to isolate the "cause".

I have totally changed my lifestyle since the acne started getting worse. It's unbelievable how much I've changed. I haven't had fastfood, soda, artificial flavored stuff, milk and all that.. It's so far from what my habits were before (when I had clear skin) - I ate fastfood everyday and had like a liter + of soda. no kidding. but I was clear.

The derm told me this is completely hormonal, like me being 19 and all. But I'm still uneasy. I mean, why all of a sudden? and all this in a couple of months? Holy hell. It's just unbelievable the state of my face now compared months ago. :(

So, can exercise actually make acne worse? Excessive sweating maybe? I dunno. I just want to know.

Or is it truly good for you and i should continue exercising despite my skin condition now hoping that it would help make my skin better.

Thanks guys

Lower the intensity of your exercise -- jogging and running at higher speeds is potentially stressful and evokes inflammation. See if just walking helps.

I'd say as well if you're weakening your body to the point of overtraining and it's not resting/regenerating itself then yes, it can contribute to your acne. I'd also recommend crosstraining, rather than just getting into one type of exercise. Don't know your age, but have you as well checked blood sugar tolerance and food allergies?

Okay, So I noticed my acne started to get worse when I was on glycolic acid cream and went exercising 3-4 times a week (jogging).

Now my face is the worst ever. My whole face seriously has acne. every square inch.

I have been 99% clear 2 months ago. So I'm trying to isolate the "cause".

I have totally changed my lifestyle since the acne started getting worse. It's unbelievable how much I've changed. I haven't had fastfood, soda, artificial flavored stuff, milk and all that.. It's so far from what my habits were before (when I had clear skin) - I ate fastfood everyday and had like a liter + of soda. no kidding. but I was clear.

The derm told me this is completely hormonal, like me being 19 and all. But I'm still uneasy. I mean, why all of a sudden? and all this in a couple of months? Holy hell. It's just unbelievable the state of my face now compared months ago. :(

So, can exercise actually make acne worse? Excessive sweating maybe? I dunno. I just want to know.

Or is it truly good for you and i should continue exercising despite my skin condition now hoping that it would help make my skin better.

Thanks guys

I had the same problem about 1-2 weeks after starting to work out; I discovered that I was breaking out because I would sweat, then not take a shower for a few hours. Showering after going to the gym basically solved that problem.

I had the same problem about 1-2 weeks after starting to work out; I discovered that I was breaking out because I would sweat, then not take a shower for a few hours. Showering after going to the gym basically solved that problem.

KONICHIWA!

I believe it's because of this also. I researched into it during my exercise freak era and would always shower DIRECTLY after exercise. You could also be over-doing it though, calm down with the exercise, don't do it as frequently and shower straight after.

Awesome advice given to you so far. I'd also like to add that because of the change in your diet, you might be going through a cleansing stage right now... just hang in there. And have no fear of exercise (as long as you don't overdue it), because sweating is recommended for those with acne, and it's a great way to release toxins. Hang in there! :)

Well, i did tone down on the exercise but noticed that my body / skin was just getting worse. so for any adjustments with the routine it was too late, because my skin has already responded and it hasn't calmed down since then. I don't go jogging now.

I did wash my face right after jogging with cetaphil. I went exercising solely for my skin nothing else. but if my current condition was because of exercise and being healthy, well, I'm pissed. Just when i was becoming hollistically healthy my skin retaliates.

Or am I just blaming this on the wrong thing and maybe my derm is right and this is just hormonal

If you went through all the precautions then it is a mystery why this happened. Did your face get worse pretty much exactly around the time you started doing heavy exercise or would you say it could be a coincidence? I'm very paranoid and I would stop doing things even if I enjoy them if they are around the time of me having a bad breakout.

Another possible cause could be that you are cleansing your face too many times and when you cleanse, your face releases more sebum to compensate. I always work out before I do my night-time cleanse, cleansing more than twice a day is too much.

Do what I do.

Always use a clean towel everyday and pat your sweat dry whenever you start to sweat. After your workout, splash cold COLD water on your face and then take a shower as soon as possible. (If you workout at home or your workouts are around your house, you don't need the cold water.)

I have a job.. lifting heavy stuff , i walk alot there etc and i notice is clearing my back... etc.

my face is getting clear now. cause i don't eat junks at all :(

I heard somewhere (might have been on this site) that when you first start exercising regularly and break-out, it's because your body is finally getting rid of loads of toxins. So then you should start to clear up loads.

I find that exercising improves my skin, may also be the improved blood circulation or something. I don't use anything on my face when I exercise, only when I've had a break-out I use a tiny bit of concealer. I just go and have a shower as soon as I'm done, and my complexion looks loads better afterwards as well.

After exercising wash your face with mild cleanser so the perspiration and oil don't block your pores. Take a shower as soon as you can so you don't get pimples on your back and neck also.

maybe ur sweat is reacting with ur cream. u should give ur skin oxygen while excercising.

I would actually reccomend jogging, instead of walking, for 30-45 minutes (about). When you finish the excercise, don't wash with cetaphil... at least I personally wouldn't. Either shower or, like someone above said, pat your face dry with a towel while sweating then wash with cold water after the excercise (that is exactly what I do when I go to the gym).

When washing your face, either wash with just water, or with soaps of a lower pH (7 or below should be good). Most soaps have a high pH, around 12 or 13, and skin has a lower pH around 5, and the basic soaps can be very harsh on the skin. Look to buy organic soaps or, what I use, dove basic soaps. I use dove pink soap, has a pH of 7, way less irritating. And really cleans your face.