Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dnttreadonme900

My Face Has Gotten Horrible!

I've had mild acne for the past 2 years and it just got really bad this week. I got a huge cyst last month that was already a huge eyesore on my face, it's getting smaller but still big and still there. NOW, about 8 pimples popped up on my face this week! They aren't big, maybe one is a nodule, but they won't go away! I think I'm getting my period next week, but this is ridiculous! I usually get one or two pimples on my chin or jawline during that week but these 8 pimples are on my chin, cheek, and forehead (I never get pimples there) and jawline. WTF! And my skin is peeling so it's hard to cover up with makeup.

I'm already going to the dermatologist on 4/11 and I think my acne is hormonal. I'm going to bed him for birth control pills. I really don't want to go on accutane, but if he says that would do it I would go for it. I'm sick of this. Mild acne made me embarassed of my face already but now it's even worse and I want to cry. Every time a pimple or two go away, new ones pop up. It's a neverending battle.

I refuse to use any topical treatments. I've used them all...retin a, clindamycin, bp, sa, tazorac, differin.

Been on minocycline forever, it actually cleared me up for a few months but then just kept my face at bay up until now.

What are other oral medications I can try?

Hey there, I'm sorry and I know exactly what you're going through. I have hormonal acne, too, and it's such a bitch. Let me just tell you, I strongly believe Accutane doesn't cure hormonal acne. I took accutane and had awesome skin for 8 years, but I was also on BCP that whole time, and I think it was the BCP that kept me clear. I went off BCP, had a baby, and suddenly my cystic acne was back in full force. So, my advice is to save Accutane for very last. Here's my current battle plan, if it helps you:

On 3/21 I started Doryx (antibiotic, like minocycline but I think a bit stronger), Differin and prescription BP. Yesterday, I started BCP (Yaz). Yaz has the equivalent of 25mg of spironolactone in it.

I am going to take the Doryx for 8 weeks then wean off of it. After that, if I'm not clear, I will stick to my regimen for an additional 8 weeks to see if the Yaz clears me up. If not, I will add Spironolactone to the mix. I'd rather not, though, b/c Spironolactone only works while you are taking it, and I don't want to take something like that indefinitely.

I only use the BP on spots, so when my acne goes away I won't be using that anymore. So, hopefully in 6 months, I will be taking Yaz and using Differin at night and THAT'S IT. :pray:

So my advice for you is to add Yaz bcp to the mix and give that 3 months. I'd also advice spot treating with BP (I use NeoBenz Micro SD) and using Differin at night, if you find that you really need topicals after all.

I've been thinking about the birth control pills for a while and believe that will work. I strongly think my acne is hormonal, even though they say all acne is hormonal, I think mine is triggered especially on that stupid thing I have in my abdomen called a uterus.

My mom doesn't want me going on bcp, even though I'm 19 and can do it whether she wants me to or not hahaha, she thinks me going on some sulfur pills will work like they did with my brother a few years ago who had severe acne, but he doesn't have a uterus, does HE?! That's probably why the mino isn't as effective. I use topical sulfur so I don't see why the oral will be any better, especially when I'm hormonal.

So is yasmin the best bcp I can go on for my acne? I hope I don't gain weight on it lol. But I don't mind if my boobs get a little bigger...lol.

I'm already going to the dermatologist on 4/11 and I think my acne is hormonal. I'm going to bed him for birth control pills.

I'm already going to the dermatologist on 4/11 and I think my acne is hormonal. I'm going to bed him for birth control pills.
Ok, I realize now that it was a typo, but when I first read that sentence, I TOTALLY thought that you were saying that you were going to sleep with your Dr. so he'd give you the pills.

And if so, I was going to recommend... pills first, bed later.

:whistle:

Minocycline was a joke for me. I did not see any results until I was put on 1500 mg of Amoxicillin.It took about 6-7 months to see a dramatic effect, but it could be that I am outgrowing it. :shrug::pray: But I will NOT risk going off it until I get on low dose Tane and beat it for good. :box:

But I have yet to hear of anyone else taking Amox. for acne, other than a few people who got it for other purposes and used it for a week or so. It works very well and you can take it on an empty stomach with no ill effect, unlike Minocycline...that was not fun learning that out the hard way. :sick::injured:

But my dem. is weird :crazy2: , sometimes I wonder if she is qualified or just does not care about flingin' meds at a problem. :unsure:

I would go for the accutane if I were you. Since you were on tazorac (hopefully within the last 6 months) your skin is well-adjusted to retinoids.....meaning you will have a fast-response to the accutane. Bear in mind, accutane can be prescribed in a variety of doses - you may only need 1 40mg capsule per day to get optimal results.........taking 2, 40 mg capsules a day is sometimes prescribed, but not always necessary, and causes more dryness/ unpleasant side effects.....hopefully your dermatologist is one of the better ones.

If you do get accutane. try the generic brand "Claravis." It's much cheaper and the capsules are easier to remove from the package and also easier to swallow. I personally hate those round, fat, hard-to-swallow accutane capsules....claravis capsules are small and thin.

Hormonal Acne? I wouldn't be worried so much about some specific hormonal cause.......while hormones may play a role in acne and inflammation, acne has more to do with the way your skin cells are shedding and also with how much oil your sebaceous glands are producing. The people who don't get results or get fast results with accutane actually have a problem with their skin structure. Their skin cells are not aligned very well and exfoliate in a disorderly fashion, trapping debris and oils in the pores causing acne lesions. To improve skin texture and structure, use glycolic acid (an alpha-hydroxy acid), or a beta-hydroxy acid, tazorac, retin-A, or get laser done (i.e. SAFE NON-ABLATIVE lasers : fraxel or smoothbeam). However, even after you've smoothed your skin, you've got to reduce the oil production in order to eliminate acne. The only medicine that will do this is isotretinoin! You've already treated your skin with Tazorac so your skin structure is certainly much improved. Now to get rid of the remaining acne, you've got to stop the excessive oil production with accutane. You probably did experience break-outs while you were on the topical medications you mentioned, especially Tazorac. Tazorac is very harsh and tends to bring comedones to the surface since it induces exfoliation when introduced to the skin..but it smoothes the skin and is a key medicine used by dermatologists to heal damaged and acne-prone skin. It is accutane that gives the finishing touch.....making you almost 100% clear (hopefully). To my knowledge, Tazorac or other topical antibiotic medications simply cannot give those results on their own. I used the topical antibiotics mentioned here when I was on the Tazorac to control some of the initial flares when starting on that retinoid. They won't keep you clear for very long because the bacteria in your skin will get resistant to what you are using (probably in 1-3 months)!!! Accutane can keep you completely clear for anywhere from 6-9 months!!! Many people have had these results from accutane, and they are much much more dramatic if you were on a topical retinoid before you started the accutane! Hope this helps!!

I am someone who has suffered from acne and acne scars...now I'm starting medical school in the fall in North carolina...hopefully to become a dermatologist. I suffered for over 10 years with severe acne and acne scarring. I really hope my advice helps!

I think I was just freaking out when I made this post, lol because it was the week before my period and usually I get a few pimples on my chin or jawline then but this time it was different, I got some oh my forehead and cheeks as well as my chin and jawline - the worst pms breakout EVER!

They're all much pretty gone now. I only have the cyst that formed about a month ago and 2 other active spots, which means I only have 3 spots on my face at the moment.

Even though its only 3 pimples right now, theres still pimples on my face! I don't want any!

Accutane will be my last resort, and I'm not saying that just to be stubborn or whatnot. It's because of two reasons...one, I'm guessing my acne is mild? I don't know, sometimes it feels moderate but nonetheless, I only have a few pimples. Two, I'll be on birth control pills while I'm on accutane. How will I know which one is clearing me up? I plan on taking BCP and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I'll go on the accutane knowing that it won't be the bcp curing me.

BTW, I still use retin-a...but for the marks left behind, which is great at getting rid of. I've never had an initial breakout by that, but sometimes I get one or two little noninflamed whiteheads from it I guess that just go away when I wash my face.