Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
One1

Blackheads not going away

Hello I used to not really care about my blackheads at all but recently they have become annoying because they arent really showing any signs of going away like i was told. I have been using Tazoradc for 4 months now and just finished up my tetracycline because my derm told me to stop. My overall acne has really lessened but i still get very persistant acne aswell. I thought a retinoid as strong as taz would make the blackheads go away but 4 months in i still got LOTS on my nose, lower forehead, and not so much on my cheeks. Every now and then i notice a blackhead on my nose looking like it wants to come out and i just squeeze it out but then i get a red spot on my nose. Anyone have a similar problem or have sucess and getting rid of their blackheads?

Okay, that sounds okay.

Who knows what sort of effects it will have had on your skin another 4 months from now.

Have you heard of the baby brush method before? Maybe try that. It's basically gentle exfoliation through a gentle brush. Ie. helping your skin exfoliate the upper layer of your skin more easily.

Also in your situation, I would be tempted to combine it (beginning very slowly to allow skin to get accustomed) with mandelic acid 10% (or another acid). I don't really know if that's usually tolerable together with taz so do so at own risk! It might be too much for your skin. Maybe someone else can tell you from experience.

If the acid actually helps but the combination of taz+acid is too much, you could also try combining it with green cream instead, which is a milder, over the counter retinol. Do so at own risk but I've heard of others doing it.

Anyway if you have a severe case then very low dose accutane might be the only solution. I used to be able to squeeze a lot out from my pores. Not so anymore since I'm on very low dose accutane. I seem to recall lionqueen also had good success with low dose accutane for clearing out her pores.

how much are you on? is 10mg /day effective for clearing out pores or do u have to go higher, thanx!

quote name='antoniog' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:02 AM' post='2236140']

Okay, that sounds okay.

Who knows what sort of effects it will have had on your skin another 4 months from now.

Have you heard of the baby brush method before? Maybe try that. It's basically gentle exfoliation through a gentle brush. Ie. helping your skin exfoliate the upper layer of your skin more easily.

Also in your situation, I would be tempted to combine it (beginning very slowly to allow skin to get accustomed) with mandelic acid 10% (or another acid). I don't really know if that's usually tolerable together with taz so do so at own risk! It might be too much for your skin. Maybe someone else can tell you from experience.

If the acid actually helps but the combination of taz+acid is too much, you could also try combining it with green cream instead, which is a milder, over the counter retinol. Do so at own risk but I've heard of others doing it.

Anyway if you have a severe case then very low dose accutane might be the only solution. I used to be able to squeeze a lot out from my pores. Not so anymore since I'm on very low dose accutane. I seem to recall lionqueen also had good success with low dose accutane for clearing out her pores.

My skin peels like every 2 days just from using Taz and washing my face with cetiphel facial cleanser i dont think it could handle mandelic acid and baby brush =/...

My derm told me he doesent prescribe accutane anymore also... it seems like he is a real huge fan of taz and he seems to be convinced it will work.

Reason i want my blackheads to be gone is because the areas with the black heads are the most inflamed/red areas on my face and they are the areas where the most pimples form. Is this normal? Im not sure if Taz is working them out more and more as time passes or what to expect =/

I would stick with the Taz for awhile longer .... but I think your instincts are correct. Your skin sounds too fragile from the Taz to respond well to any other products such as mandelic or green cream.

Gentle exfoliation might help with the flaking, though .... you might consider using the baby brush with your cleanser. You can be very gentle with it.

If the Taz isn't doing it for you after a few more months ..... well, low-dose Accutane is miraculous. I took 10 mg/day for 60 days and have been taking only 10 mg every other day since then.

I would stick with the Taz for awhile longer .... but I think your instincts are correct. Your skin sounds too fragile from the Taz to respond well to any other products such as mandelic or green cream.

Gentle exfoliation might help with the flaking, though .... you might consider using the baby brush with your cleanser. You can be very gentle with it.

If the Taz isn't doing it for you after a few more months ..... well, low-dose Accutane is miraculous. I took 10 mg/day for 60 days and have been taking only 10 mg every other day since then.

Derms are very mixed about the whole Accutane thing .... some will only prescribe it at the higher doses and some won't prescribe it at all!

Luckily there are a few who are open to the low-dose route. You do have to shop around. If there are only two derms in your area, well, you may be stuck.

But as I said, keep at it with the Taz. Theoretically, it should work for you in time. You might read some of the Tazorac regimen logs and see what other people's experiences have been.

Some people will never be able to get rid blackheads. I am one of them. I think it has to do with the shape of my pores. Not only are they large, they like to collect junk.

I've been on 2 rounds of Accutane and even that didn't help clear it up. What Accutane did was purge the existing junk, but more junk collected and Accutane would purge again only to have new junk move in. It was an endless cycle.

Taz is one of the best topicals for blackheads. It might not clear you up entirely, but it should help. I use Retin-A. Although I have massive blackheads on my nose, everywhere else is under control. Without Retin-A, my forehead, chin, and cheeks begin forming pools of black.