Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snack

Are vitamin A and Accutane really just the same thing?

I've noticed some people find that just taking vitamin A helps their skin, but how much do most people need to take to notice an effect? I'm guessing if it's at all similar to Accutane you'd need to take a high enough dosage as to be borderline dangerous long-term.

My multivitamin contains 5000 IU or 100% Daily Value of vitamin A, but I haven't noticed any remote impact on my skin since I started taking it.

They're not the same thing, but by increasing your Vitamin A levels, you would also thereotically increase your isotretinon (spelling?) levels too (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Your multivtamin has Vitamin A from beta carotene. Beta carotene is absorbed only 3% from raw carrots; it's probably absorbed even less, if at all, from your multivitamin. Your Vitamin A should be preformed Vitamin A that's found in meat.

Vitamin A is found naturally in many foods. Each of the following contains at least 0.15 mg (which is equal to 150 micrograms -500 IU). See Recommended Daily Intake of Vitamin A or beta carotene per 1.75-7 oz. (50-200 g):

* liver (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish) (6500 μg 722%)

* carrots (835 μg 93%)

* venttani (817 μg 91%)

* Broccoli leaves (800 μg 89%) - broccoli florets have much less- see below

* sweet potatoes (709 μg 79%)

* kale (681 μg 76%)

* butter (684 μg 76%)

* spinach (469 μg 52%)

* leafy vegetables

* pumpkin (369 μg 41%)

* collard greens (333 μg 37%)

* cantaloupe melon (169 μg 19%)

* eggs (140 μg 16%)

* apricots (96 μg 11%)

* papaya (55 μg 6%)

* mango (38 μg 4%)

* broccoli (31 μg 3%)

* peas (38 μg 4%)

* beetroot[6]

* winter squash

apart from the small ammounts in eggs and buter animal liver is the one and only source of vitamin A. No vegetable contains vitamin A only Beta Carontene.

Butter? BUTTER??? WHAT?

and meat appears to have like 7 times more Vitamin A than carrots. Shocking :o

I've noticed some people find that just taking vitamin A helps their skin, but how much do most people need to take to notice an effect? I'm guessing if it's at all similar to Accutane you'd need to take a high enough dosage as to be borderline dangerous long-term.

My multivitamin contains 5000 IU or 100% Daily Value of vitamin A, but I haven't noticed any remote impact on my skin since I started taking it.

And again: beta carotene is poorly absorbed, and is not efficiently converted to Vitamin A anyway. You should be sure to get some Vitamin A from animal sources.

And again: beta carotene is poorly absorbed, and is not efficiently converted to Vitamin A anyway. You should be sure to get some Vitamin A from animal sources.

One of the reasons I think green smoothies (blended leafy greens) work so well is because of the high content of beta carotene, which gets converted to vitamin A.

One of the reasons I think green smoothies (blended leafy greens) work so well is because of the high content of beta carotene, which gets converted to vitamin A.

But don't acne prone people have difficulties converting beta carotene into vitamin A?

Yeah, I started making those yesterday (well, 2 days ago now technically =P)! Except I didn't cut up an apple into small enough slices I guess, because it totally jammed my blender. Boo!

I just toss random stuff in. I find it's a great way to not only add fruits and veggies to my diet but to also help add extra calories for weight gain. I throw in granola, nuts, all sorts of stuff.

But don't acne prone people have difficulties converting beta carotene into vitamin A?

I tried taking Airborne 3 times a day becuae it had alot of vitamin A but I did not see any effect at all. ANd after that thing in the news aout it being proven to do nothing to speed up recovery from a cold or flu I fell like an ass for paying $7 a tube. :wall::wall::xxx: