Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay18

resistance to bactrim? need feedback :]

hi everyone :]

i've been researching bactrim ALOT and i hear that it clears acne up pretty quickly. i'm supposed to start it today, but i cant help but wonder.. if this actually works for me and clears my skin up, how can i take it so that i dont develop a resistance to it? what i mean by that is, should i take it for 6 months on and off? 3 months on and off? i want to develop some kind of plan so that i can continuously use it and get great results. anyone have any ideas? :]

hi everyone :]

i've been researching bactrim ALOT and i hear that it clears acne up pretty quickly. i'm supposed to start it today, but i cant help but wonder.. if this actually works for me and clears my skin up, how can i take it so that i dont develop a resistance to it? what i mean by that is, should i take it for 6 months on and off? 3 months on and off? i want to develop some kind of plan so that i can continuously use it and get great results. anyone have any ideas? :]

I've been on Bactrim for about 4-5 months and am pretty much completely cleared up. It worked really well. I started on the lower dosage but was bumped up to the higher dosage eventually. In about a month my doctor said I will be able to get off Bactrim. I would just talk to your derm, they would know the best plan for you.

Bactrim works very well if you can tolerate it. I took it. However, it is a pretty potent drug and not suitable for long-term use (past 6 months). Tetracyclines are better suited for long-term use, if you are going to do it. Really taking antibiotics long-term is a bad idea in general. But you will get a lot of disagreement about that on these boards.

bactrim works like any other antibiotic prescribed for acne (though it is sulfa based and not a tetracycline-derivative) - it is no faster, "better" or more effective than any other, no matter what you read on these boards.

i feel inclined to tell you this because i used bactrim over the summer to clear up a severe case of cystic acne, and after i had it prescribed to me i surfed these boards forever, reading these ridiculous testimonials from people who claimed to have seen major results in just a few days. thats bullsh*t. it took a serious toll on my morale! bactrim did clear my skin up, though, but i didn't see ANY visible results until around 8 weeks in.

I have no idea to make it so you dont get immune to bactrim. All I can say though is septra really is awesome and it starts working really fast!