Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snack

One thing I don't get about the insulin resistance debate.

If you get your fasting blood sugar checked and it comes back within the normal range, doesn't that pretty much mean you don't have insulin resistance? And if you don't have insulin resistance, wouldn't that pretty much mean your acne is NOT being aggravated by sugar consumption?

Just a thought

And by "sugar" I would also like some clarification as to what the hell we're talking about, because I see a lot of people who eat a lot of fruit claiming to have "sugar free" diets. It's basically impossible to completely cut sugar out of your diet, so I'm assuming we're referring to a particular type of sugar, i.e. high fructose corn syrup.

True, I suppose...but people who eat excessive sugar tend to not have perfect insulin status. So this would be rare.

True, I suppose...but people who eat excessive sugar tend to not have perfect insulin status. So this would be rare.

I have normal fasting blood sugar, but I have a TON of sugar in my diet, albeit 99% of it is from fruits. I highly doubt I'm the exception to the rule.

I have a hard time believing anyone honestly gets insulin resistance or diabetes just from consuming a large quantity of fruits. There are a ton of other factors to consider, including body weight, genetics, low vs high GI diet, etc. That's why I don't understand this whole sugar issue. If you have normal blood sugar, odds are it's not the cause of nor even really a contributing factor to your acne.

Hmm, good point, I wonder what my blood sugar level is.

This probably doesn't make sense, but do you think it would be possible for a person to test at a normal blood sugar level, while being abnormally sensitive to high GI foods, resulting in ephemeral thus undetectable blood sugar spikes?

If you get your fasting blood sugar checked and it comes back within the normal range, doesn't that pretty much mean you don't have insulin resistance? And if you don't have insulin resistance, wouldn't that pretty much mean your acne is NOT being aggravated by sugar consumption?

Most blood glucose testing doesn't register pre-diabetes level glucose problems. That's why this whole "syndrome X" thing is such a problem, it flies under the radar in most cases until the person practically has full blown diabetes.

I dont know very much about this topic... but I went to the doctor for a bad flu and they gave me other tests too. They checked for my blood sugar level... and many other tests. All of them came back normal.

The doctor remarked that he noticed that I had "higher than normal" triglycerides, but that didnt mean anything and told me to forget that he mentioned it.

I finally googled it... and found that higher than normal triglycerides can be an indicator or insulin insensivity.