Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatAznKid

ASIAN College Student Begins his Journey...

I guess I'll be keeping a log throughout my accutane journey. A lil' about myself: 19.college student. HATE getting blood work done. have been suffering from acne since i was 13. mostly break out with cystic acne along my chin/jaw line area, and pimples on the forehead. my skin is usually really OILY, i can go through about two oil absorbing sheets a day so IM HOPING accutane will dry up all the oil on my face.

REGIME: 60 mg a day SOTRET

Cleanser: Paula's Choice Skin Balancing cleanser

Moistorize with Dan's lotion

thats it!

LEEETS HOPE I GET CLEAR :]

pictures before-

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...ost&id=8854

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...ost&id=8828

DAY 1 THROUGH 4

The first day I noticed I was a little dizzy. Could have been in my head, not sure... but I'm finally relieved that I took the steps and am now taking accutane! Actually, it only took me one day to get it. Just made an appointment with a derm, gave me my prescription, went and did my blood work, and that was it. It's already day 4 and I haven't noticed anything yet. My breakouts seem to be the same? My lips were always dry before going on tane, so as of now.. no real difference. However, my face does seem REALLY oily though. Well; wish me luck! 5 more months to go..

DAY 5

Woke up this morning with an extremely dry face! It felt really dry around my cheek area, and very oily around the nose and forehead. I decided not to use my cleanser today because it would probably make my face even more dry. Ate some lunch, took the pill, went to class, then proceeded to work out. I ran for a couple of minutes. Man, I don't think it was a good idea to go run. LOL. I felt really dizzy, might have been because I had within 2 hours or because of the accutane. I'm not really sure, but I know I didn't feel too well. Dinner came, took my pill, felt a lil bit better. Anywho, I just finished my shower and applied CETAPHIL Moistorizer. It feels refreshing on my face, but I can already feel it getting dry again?! Has anyone experience where their face is so dry that it gets really oily? hmm. oh yeah, i also noticed that im getting this painful pimple/cyst on my jawline. it hurts!

DAY 6

Holy cow... the side effects are diff hitting me sooner than I thought! My face, especially my cheeks, look really red. It looks as if I went tanning or something. It looks even weirder because around my eye area, the skin's yellow. Took the pills, and I just cant get over how dry my skin feels! I just added a nice layer of cetaphil on my cheeks and above my lip area( the most dry - tzone is still pretty oily but flakey) and it still feels dry! any recs for the redness+dryness? i really hope i dont get rosacea from this..

Hey you asian kid! Haha well for one im glad to hear you are on the tane! It WILL work. Just a really hard journey. The redness is common and i still experience it to this day (im on day 67 i think). Just hang in there! The forum will def. give you some support.

Day 7

It's already day 7 and I don't think I can do this anymore. My cheeks are SOOOOOO DRY, reapplying moistorizer doesn't even do anything! My cheeks are extremely red -- people today asked me if my face got burnt during Spring Break. It's actually really embarassing. I hope I don't get roseaca from accutane. Also, my ribs are starting to hurt a bit too. I need motivation...

right before tane : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/sliqx88/IMG_8581.jpg

now: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/sliqx88/IMG_8704.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/sliqx88/IMG_8702.jpg

shoot me..

Sounds like you need to scrub that face! That will get off all that dry flaky skin on your cheeks! Then put on a lot of lotion! Your face will be red and hot after you do it, but it is well worth it! Dont give up dude! You are already a week into this! When people ask about your face just hold your head up and say its the medicine im on...and know that in 4-6 months (less in your case) they will be astounded! The worse it is now, the more room there is foor improvement!

Uhhhh....I don't think you should scrub your face. That would probably exasperate things more. I don't know though.

Okay, I have a little moisturizing trick for you.

First of all, you said that you have Cetaphil, but is it the lotion or the cream? That makes a HUGE difference. The cream is much more moisturizing.

Okay, so after you wash your face when it is still wet (not super drippy) put on the Cetaphil cream. You see, lotion locks in moisture. It doesn't create it. I find that doing this helps tremendously. If you don't want to wash your face (doing so too much will just dry you out more) put some Cetaphil cream in your hand and add a couple drops of water and mix it together. Then apply.

I hope this helps. It makes all the difference for me. I have super sensitive skin.

Oh, BTW.

I love Asian people.

Seriously. You guys rock:)

Hey Azn, all of your photos look like you are completely acne and red mark free. How do you pull such trickery?

Scrubbing is a must for me...if not that flaky skin would never go away! ...could just be me though.

BTW im jacking that tip from seven star...sounds like a winner.

Hey! Thanks for the replies guys! I would love to scrub my face, but I think that will just aggravate my cheeks more! LOL. I came back home today for the weekend, and when my mom saw my face, she freaked out. She told me I should stop taking accutane and that my body is not reacting well to it. Seriously, I look like I'm sick with a red face. Maybe she's right. Could I be allergic to accutane? But anywho, I'm going to try and stick it out. Today's day 8.. nothing has really changed. Woke up with a REALLY DRY face again. I asked my roommate whether my face got less red, and he said yeah. Last night, I applied a cool layer of aloe vera all over my face, then put the cetaphil lotion all over the face followed by a thick layer of aquaphor only on the upper lips/smile line/cheeks area. My skin still felt extremely tight and dry. I'm really crossing my fingers that the redness will die down. I already have people staring at me. :confused:

@ seven star- that sounds like a cool unique. like me, i also have REALLY sensitive skin. for instance, if i bent down to pick up a pencil or tried to tie my shoes, my face quickly flushes with redness! i'm currently using the LOTION right now. how much difference does the cream make compared to aquaphor? i mean, aquaphor i heard gets as good as it gets with dry skin.. but maybe the cream might work? i don't know, i feel like nothing will work right now.

@ragginmuffin - yeah for some reason, my pictures look like i dont have acne. i think because most of the pictures i take, the lighting is good.

hey! don't give up on accutane, i just hit my 1 month mark, and its been a tough ride. i know what you mean about the red face. it does suck:( maybe you should try emu oil. i started using it at around day 6(when my face got supppperrrrrr dry and flakey and red) and now i flake no more. SOMETIMES it gets red at night after i wash my face, but it goes away in the morning for sure.

i use emu oil on top of my cetaphil lotion morning and night. since emu oil has this deep penetrating ability, it sinks deep within the dermis as a super skin softener and skin nutrient, and i hope it carries my cetaphil down into my skin even more lol. maybe give it a try! :)

btw, your acne doesn't look like its there at all in the pics haha....you'll be fine in no time.

Hey! Thanks for the replies guys! I would love to scrub my face, but I think that will just aggravate my cheeks more! LOL. I came back home today for the weekend, and when my mom saw my face, she freaked out. She told me I should stop taking accutane and that my body is not reacting well to it. Seriously, I look like I'm sick with a red face. Maybe she's right. Could I be allergic to accutane? But anywho, I'm going to try and stick it out. Today's day 8.. nothing has really changed. Woke up with a REALLY DRY face again. I asked my roommate whether my face got less red, and he said yeah. Last night, I applied a cool layer of aloe vera all over my face, then put the cetaphil lotion all over the face followed by a thick layer of aquaphor only on the upper lips/smile line/cheeks area. My skin still felt extremely tight and dry. I'm really crossing my fingers that the redness will die down. I already have people staring at me. :confused:

@ seven star- that sounds like a cool unique. like me, i also have REALLY sensitive skin. for instance, if i bent down to pick up a pencil or tried to tie my shoes, my face quickly flushes with redness! i'm currently using the LOTION right now. how much difference does the cream make compared to aquaphor? i mean, aquaphor i heard gets as good as it gets with dry skin.. but maybe the cream might work? i don't know, i feel like nothing will work right now.

@ragginmuffin - yeah for some reason, my pictures look like i dont have acne. i think because most of the pictures i take, the lighting is good.

Hey! I think you should keep going with it unless you really think you are allergic or something. It is going to be a really hard next couple of months but you can read about all the other people who are going through the same exact thing and find strength in that.

As far as the flushing goes, I have not experienced it yet but I can say I think it is really endearing when boys blush or get red in the face.

I am curious to hear about your progress.

DAY 10

Busy busy weekend. Brother flew into town and spent time with him. Anywho~ my face is still red and very dry. I'm getting a little bit used to it. Went clubbing on Saturday, and people thought I was drunk with the red face. Sigh. I guess i can't really do much about it. I still have to constantly reapply moistorizer but atleast that helps a bit. I'm going to this meeting this week in chicago, so I'm praying praying that the redness will go away. I've been breaking out. I'm not exactly sure if this is my "IB" but since I always break out, it's nothing really new. I have about 4 new pimples on my left neck/jawline. Oh yeah.. I'm also really surprised of the amount of moistorizer I use! I apply a bunch of aquaphor and cetaphil but my face hasn't really clogged up or anything from it. :D Also..... I bought the CETAPHIL CREAM recommended to me by SSG. Whoa, this sucker was $13! Oh well, it's worth it if it works. Anyways, I'm going to try the water+cream trick tonight. Does anyone know if I wash my face, then pat dry and rub the cetaphil cream + aloe vera will it be as effective as the cream+water technique? if someone could let me know by the time i shower (in 3-4hours, that'd be great!) i'm exctied, haha.

Hey guys.. I have to stop the accutane. Saturday night, I went to a club and left with a ringing ear. Right now.. I still have that ringing in my ear. I think accutane made me more sensative to everything, light, sound.. and so I consulted my doctor and he told me to stop taking the accutane as it may have contributed to the ringing in my ear. I also talked to an audiologist and he said that I might have damaged my ears from the loud sound. this sucks.

aw man. that really sucks =(. i just started following your log a few days ago and was really hoping to read til the end. did you get put on something else then?

Hey guys.. I have to stop the accutane. Saturday night, I went to a club and left with a ringing ear. Right now.. I still have that ringing in my ear. I think accutane made me more sensative to everything, light, sound.. and so I consulted my doctor and he told me to stop taking the accutane as it may have contributed to the ringing in my ear. I also talked to an audiologist and he said that I might have damaged my ears from the loud sound. this sucks.

aww man i am so so so so so sorry to hear that. You do what you gotta do.& i was just thinking of how your results were coming along. Well good luck finding something that works for you, and your hearing.

aww man i am so so so so so sorry to hear that. You do what you gotta do.& i was just thinking of how your results were coming along. Well good luck finding something that works for you, and your hearing.