Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ee33ee

Accutane Side Effects... Holy Crap!

janey my guess is you have either taken accutane or plan on taking it very soon and view it as your last hope or a blessing from god, you have made the decision that the drug is for you and it is the right decision to take it.

Let me tell you now unless your acne is extremely severe you are sorely mistaken.

All that needs to be said is using a drug such as roaccutane for acne, is like using a nuclear warhead to get rid of a few rats in the back garden.

The inevitable collateral damage is way to high for a problem such as acne.

Edit: as for the hairloss, i'm sure you know that MPB is down to levels of hormones and sensitivity of hormone receptors at the hair follicle.

Now let me explain something to you, body hair is infact stimulated by DHT/androgens. Where as head hair is negatively affected by the two. Guess what i started loosing tonnes of body hair around the same time i began loosing my head hair in a diffuse pattern. It has nothing to do with MPB in 99% of the cases of accutane hairloss. There are poor women out there suffering the exact same problem as us, to the same degree. I hope you do not become one of them.

Sorry if i come across as rude, but when you even suggest that someones hairloss is probably just male pattern baldness because you have seen it happen to other men at an early age really annoys me. Ignorance is bliss ofcourse.

janey my guess is you have either taken accutane or plan on taking it very soon and view it as your last hope or a blessing from god, you have made the decision that the drug is for you and it is the right decision to take it.

Let me tell you now unless your acne is extremely severe you are sorely mistaken.

All that needs to be said is using a drug such as roaccutane for acne, is like using a nuclear warhead to get rid of a few rats in the back garden.

The inevitable collateral damage is way to high for a problem such as acne.

Edit: as for the hairloss, i'm sure you know that MPB is down to levels of hormones and sensitivity of hormone receptors at the hair follicle.

Now let me explain something to you, body hair is infact stimulated by DHT/androgens. Where as head hair is negatively affected by the two. Guess what i started loosing tonnes of body hair around the same time i began loosing my head hair in a diffuse pattern. It has nothing to do with MPB in 99% of the cases of accutane hairloss. There are poor women out there suffering the exact same problem as us, to the same degree. I hope you do not become one of them.

Sorry if i come across as rude, but when you even suggest that someones hairloss is probably just male pattern baldness because you have seen it happen to other men at an early age really annoys me. Ignorance is bliss ofcourse.

I did not mean to come accross as ignorant and you obviously know a lot more about hair loss than the average person but that was not apparant from your previous post. It was merely a suggestion as some people are inclined to find the nearest most obvious thing to blame in some situations (e.g. the bad stomach must be caused by serious food poisoning from that takeaway on the way home, not the ten gallons of beer consumed previously :lol: ).

I am not going to argue with your analogy of a nuke, it made me laugh. But for some people living with acne can literally ruin their life, regardless of how severe it is it effects us all in different ways. I am not going to go into my own case but I think it is important to encourage people to seek out the research for themselves and make a decision based on weighing up what they know to be the risks, and what the gains could be for them.

For many people this is a miracle drug, for many it has adverse effects. But as long as you know these risks it is up to the individual. We make decisions about our health everyday perhaps even without realising it. I just wanted to point out that there are many many benefits, and that people will always hear more bad experiences than good because we are more likely to tell the bad stories than the good.

I just think people should make up their own minds and it is unfair to tell them to do otherwise.

havent been on here for a bit so this may have been raised in another thread but is it common knowledge that accutane is also a potential cancer drug??

Accutane is an anti-cancer chemotherapy drug

Brad Pitt is like 45 years old. Of course he's going to start looking old these days :rolleyes:

"Women on the pill run a slight risk of DVT which can be fatal, and an increased chance of breast cancer, and yet millions of people still take it."

"We make decisions about our health everyday perhaps even without realising it."

Thats very true. Even for something as small as a women deciding to use a tampon, she runs the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. And thats not even a medicine! You cannot sit in the corner and be afraid of everything.

I do not believe you should go into accutane thinking that every possible side effect "could be you"... the mind is a very powerful thing. And stress can damage the body in so many ways, it also has numerous potentially serious side effects. Now, you should be completely educated about accutane when making the decision however. Know all the potentials, good and bad. Its up to every individual which decision they make.

Brad Pitt is like 45 years old. Of course he's going to start looking old these days :rolleyes:

"Women on the pill run a slight risk of DVT which can be fatal, and an increased chance of breast cancer, and yet millions of people still take it."

"We make decisions about our health everyday perhaps even without realising it."

Thats very true. Even for something as small as a women deciding to use a tampon, she runs the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. And thats not even a medicine! You cannot sit in the corner and be afraid of everything.

I do not believe you should go into accutane thinking that every possible side effect "could be you"... the mind is a very powerful thing. And stress can damage the body in so many ways, it also has numerous potentially serious side effects. Now, you should be completely educated about accutane when making the decision however. Know all the potentials, good and bad. Its up to every individual which decision they make.

Ive been on Accutane for 2 times other than this one.

A very important tip: STOP WORRYING SO MUCH ABOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS !

There is nothing to worry about! You will face some side effects: Yes. But they aren't that important in comparison to the outcome you are going to get out of the treatment! ALL the side effects will eventually disappear as soon as your course is over!

Just relax. The vast majority of the listed side effects occur very rarely. If you read the medical reports of any other medications you will find out that they too list some advanced side effects that occur Rarely as mentioned everywhere.

All you have to do is keep a lipstick in your pocket and remember to drink water from time to time and live your life normally!

What she said! :clap:

I took accutane with very little side effects. Dry lips and dry skin and initially fatigue was all I had. I was on low dose 20mg per day. Moral of story- go as low as your doctor permits you to go even if it has to be a prolong course.

I also don't think that those percentages are accurate because of the different dosages. Apparently, people who take low dose have lesser side effects as compared to those who take higher doses. Hypervitaminosis probably occur also because of the high dose > 40mg. I will only believe the percentages if everyone took the same dose.

just to put this into perspective here is the listing of side effects for ibuprofen (advil,motrin etc.)

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects from ibuprofen are rash, ringing in the ears, headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation and heartburn. NSAIDs reduce the ability of blood to clot and therefore increase bleeding after an injury. Ibuprofen may cause ulceration of the stomach or intestine, and the ulcers may bleed. Sometimes, ulceration can occur without abdominal pain, and black, tarry stools, weakness, and dizziness upon standing (orthostatic hypotension) due to bleeding may be the only signs of an ulcer. NSAIDs reduce the flow of blood to the kidneys and impair function of the kidneys. The impairment is most likely to occur in patients who already have impaired function of the kidney or congestive heart failure, and use of NSAIDs in these patients should be cautious. People who are allergic to other NSAIDs, including aspirin, should not use ibuprofen. Individuals with asthma are more likely to experience allergic reactions to ibuprofen and other NSAIDs. Fluid retention (edema), blood clots, heart attacks, hypertension and heart failure have also been associated with the use of NSAIDs.

does this look familiar to anybody ? it looks very similar to something like accutane, which a lot of people seem to think is the most dangerous drug on the planet. it sounds pretty serious when you look at it. but in reality, its just advil. lets get real there is lots of things that can or will be bad for your body. just think about the damage your doing next time you take a bite of that mcdonalds burger. but i think the bottom line is its great to worry about your physical health, but how about you start thinking about your mental health too. sure your physically fit and perfectly healthy, but who cares if your not happy ?

acne can affect your life big time. we can all relate to a time where we were so excited for a certain day, then we wake up to see a new pimple on our face and all the sudden your entire day is ruined. accutane gave me my life back, and you only get one life so make sure you enjoy it and have some great times before its over. and if acne is holding you back, then i say you should whatever it takes to get it out of the way. accutane does have serious side effects but the reason i will always defend it when somebody speaks bad about it is because it JUST WORKS. i dont have to deal with the stress of searching for 10 years for a specific regimen or finding what foods are triggering my acne and alter my diet. i just take my pills every day and i have clear skin just like i was promised. with all the fake medications out there and false hopes this one actually does its job.

just something to think about next time you read one of the 50 threads a day on here about some new study that proves accutane is responsible for AIDS and world war 2.

/endrant

There is nothing to worry about! You will face some side effects: Yes. But they aren't that important in comparison to the outcome you are going to get out of the treatment! ALL the side effects will eventually disappear as soon as your course is over!

Just relax. The vast majority of the listed side effects occur very rarely. If you read the medical reports of any other medications you will find out that they too list some advanced side effects that occur Rarely as mentioned everywhere.

All you have to do is keep a lipstick in your pocket and remember to drink water from time to time and live your life normally!

THANK YOU! SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!!

Tell that to someone who has permanent brain damage from accutane.

Tell that to someone who has permanent brain damage from accutane.

Hey!

Just thought I would share my accutane story...

I started on 40m a day for about 2months, then went up to 60 for 5 months.

the BIG problem i had was with my Kidneys!!!... my lower back started to KILL me. it was horrible. at first i thought it was from work (I am a personal trainer), but then my blood tests revealed that it was in fact my kidneys. Now that i have been off of it for a couple months, my blood and urine tests are getting a lot better.

another big problem was the fact that i developed somewhat of an eating disorder. this may be because I used to be a competitive gymnast, and am now a PT... but the accutane made me obsess with how "skinny" I was. I lost my appetite, all i ate was vegetables and fruit ... anything with carbs (even bread)... would make me sick to my stomach just to look at.. so i started to throw up pretty much everything I ate. I ended up losing 10lbs in just under 2 weeks. I had that problem from pretty much day 1 of taking accutane... so after a while i just got used to it.

I also had some crazy anxiety type attacks and wouldn't be able to sleep. About 4-5 days after i stopped taking it, i started to be myself again.

Even though i went through all this.. it was totally worth it! my face is clear.. and my chest and back are pretty mcuh clear! Now i am just working on the scarring. I am a lot more confident and I can wear a lot of things i didn't wear in the past! :)

o, and if you get really dry lips..try using a lip exfoliator at night.. about every 2 nights.. then put the "white" blistex on after. stay away from vaseline, etc... it only makes them WORSE!

hope that helped a little!

good luck!

Well, I hope for all of you taking accutane that you luck out and have no permanent effects. The fact is that it affects the brain, and those changes can be permanent. My son took accutane for 8 weeks and became psychotic--and that lasted well beyond stopping accutane. He is currently still in a mental institution, the third time in 9 months, and 2 psych doctors agree that accutane was the trigger, the others agree that it is likely. If you think I'm trying to scare you out of it--I am!!

You'll notice in the warnings that the doctor is supposed to ask you if there is any history of psychiatric problems in your family. Do you honestly imagine that you really know the true answer to that question? If there is a history, you are NOT supposed to be prescribed accutane. Do you think that your mom tells you, as you go off to college, "Gee honey, I just wanted you to know that back when you were two your dad took prescription medicines for depression." Or do your folks really tell you that your mom's brother was institutionalized for mental illness, or that when your older sister was gone for 6 months back when you were 5 she was really in the psych ward? Of course not. These are things that many families do not discuss. So, before you merrily go along and take such a strong medicine that has been proven to be very dangerous, do your research.

As someone else here pointed out, if the 1% of people who get a side effect is you--it might as well be 100%.

Not knowing what your odds are: Would you rather have pimples or insanity?

I vote for pimples.

Hey!

Just thought I would share my accutane story...

I started on 40m a day for about 2months, then went up to 60 for 5 months.

the BIG problem i had was with my Kidneys!!!... my lower back started to KILL me. it was horrible. at first i thought it was from work (I am a personal trainer), but then my blood tests revealed that it was in fact my kidneys. Now that i have been off of it for a couple months, my blood and urine tests are getting a lot better.

another big problem was the fact that i developed somewhat of an eating disorder. this may be because I used to be a competitive gymnast, and am now a PT... but the accutane made me obsess with how "skinny" I was. I lost my appetite, all i ate was vegetables and fruit ... anything with carbs (even bread)... would make me sick to my stomach just to look at.. so i started to throw up pretty much everything I ate. I ended up losing 10lbs in just under 2 weeks. I had that problem from pretty much day 1 of taking accutane... so after a while i just got used to it.

I also had some crazy anxiety type attacks and wouldn't be able to sleep. About 4-5 days after i stopped taking it, i started to be myself again.

Even though i went through all this.. it was totally worth it! my face is clear.. and my chest and back are pretty mcuh clear! Now i am just working on the scarring. I am a lot more confident and I can wear a lot of things i didn't wear in the past! :)

o, and if you get really dry lips..try using a lip exfoliator at night.. about every 2 nights.. then put the "white" blistex on after. stay away from vaseline, etc... it only makes them WORSE!

hope that helped a little!

good luck!

* Back pain-No

* Pain in muscles and joints-No

* Allergic reaction-No

* Abdominal pain-No

* Poor appetite-No

* Dizziness-No

* Drowsiness-No

* Insomnia-Yes

* Anxiety-No

* Numbness and tingling of hands and feet-No

* Weakness-Yes

* Depression-No

* Hair loss (thinning)-Yes

* Dry eyes, sensitivity to light (see eye problems)-Sensitive to lights

I know this isn't what you asked for, but it tells you not to read everything you hear. I think Accutane helps more than it hurts.

* Back pain-No

* Pain in muscles and joints-No

* Allergic reaction-No

* Abdominal pain-No

* Poor appetite-No

* Dizziness-No

* Drowsiness-No

* Insomnia-Yes

* Anxiety-No

* Numbness and tingling of hands and feet-No

* Weakness-Yes

* Depression-No

* Hair loss (thinning)-Yes

* Dry eyes, sensitivity to light (see eye problems)-Sensitive to lights

I know this isn't what you asked for, but it tells you not to read everything you hear. I think Accutane helps more than it hurts.