Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ee33ee

Accutane Side Effects... Holy Crap!

http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/accutane.asp

I've read the side effect lists numerous times, but this is the only place with actual percentages

Over 30% of patients have: Headache, fever, dry skin, dry mucous membranes (mouth, nose), bone pain, nausea and vomiting, rash, mouth sores, itching, sweating, eyesight changes.

10-29% of patients get:

* Back pain

* Pain in muscles and joints

* Allergic reaction

* Abdominal pain

* Poor appetite

* Dizziness

* Drowsiness

* Insomnia

* Anxiety

* Numbness and tingling of hands and feet

* Weakness

* Depression

* Hair loss (thinning)

* Dry eyes, sensitivity to light (see eye problems)

* Decreased night vision, which may persist after treatment is stopped

* Swelling of the feet or ankles

* Low blood counts. Your white and red blood cells and platelets may temporarily decrease. This can put you at increased risk for infection, anemia and/or bleeding.

* Abnormal blood tests: increased triglyceride, cholesterol and/or blood sugar levels.

* Increases in blood tests measuring liver function. These return to normal once treatment is discontinued (see liver problems).

Wow.. can these numbers be true?

They are probably higher than that. Not only that but the percentage of patients for which side effects persist for is much higher than reported.

So you're saying that about half of users experience bone pain, vomiting, headaches, and one third experience depression, weakness, joint pain?

Seems a little unreal..

So you're saying that about half of users experience bone pain, vomiting, headaches, and one third experience depression, weakness, joint pain?

Seems a little unreal..

Seems a little unreal..

believe it baby! *in voice of joey off friends*

Just dont believe everything you read. You have to go from your own experience. And that would also mean that 70% of people dont experience depression. And just because some people "experience" it, that could mean 1 time. Doesnt mean constantly or the whole time on tane.

Also if you have muscle weakness, you are to stop the drug immediately.

Man, these posts are killing me...

I am on the verge of taking Accutane. It is my last resort. All I have to do is tell my dermatologist I'm ready, and he'll write the prescription. But every time I see a post like this one it really starts to worry me... I don't want to lose my hair, have back problems and joint problems, and lose my eyesight! But I can't take my skin looking the way it does anymore. I mean, I CAN'T!

I don't know why I posted this reply; I guess I'm just really worried. I know people who have taken Accutane (or a generic version of it) and they have had no complications, other than dry lips, dry skin, and one of them had ONE nosebleed.

If I took a low dosage, maybe 40 mg, or at max 60 mg, would there be less of a chance that I would get these side effects?

http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/accutane.asp

I've read the side effect lists numerous times, but this is the only place with actual percentages

Over 30% of patients have: Headache, fever, dry skin, dry mucous membranes (mouth, nose), bone pain, nausea and vomiting, rash, mouth sores, itching, sweating, eyesight changes.

10-29% of patients get:

* Back pain

* Pain in muscles and joints

* Allergic reaction

* Abdominal pain

* Poor appetite

* Dizziness

* Drowsiness

* Insomnia

* Anxiety

* Numbness and tingling of hands and feet

* Weakness

* Depression

* Hair loss (thinning)

* Dry eyes, sensitivity to light (see eye problems)

* Decreased night vision, which may persist after treatment is stopped

* Swelling of the feet or ankles

* Low blood counts. Your white and red blood cells and platelets may temporarily decrease. This can put you at increased risk for infection, anemia and/or bleeding.

* Abnormal blood tests: increased triglyceride, cholesterol and/or blood sugar levels.

* Increases in blood tests measuring liver function. These return to normal once treatment is discontinued (see liver problems).

Wow.. can these numbers be true?

How about you stop looking up bullshit studies and just take the damn medication. Hundreds of people on this site took it with no bad side effects (myself included).

How about you stop looking up bullshit studies and just take the damn medication. Hundreds of people on this site took it with no bad side effects (myself included).

I am on the verge of taking Accutane. It is my last resort. All I have to do is tell my dermatologist I'm ready, and he'll write the prescription. But every time I see a post like this one it really starts to worry me... I don't want to lose my hair, have back problems and joint problems, and lose my eyesight! But I can't take my skin looking the way it does anymore. I mean, I CAN'T!

I don't know why I posted this reply; I guess I'm just really worried. I know people who have taken Accutane (or a generic version of it) and they have had no complications, other than dry lips, dry skin, and one of them had ONE nosebleed.

If I took a low dosage, maybe 40 mg, or at max 60 mg, would there be less of a chance that I would get these side effects?

i developed back pain, insomnia, and nosebleeds from accutane. i took a 5 month course of tane 5 years ago and im still struggling with very bad back pain and insomnia... but im considering taking another course cause im sick of my skin...

The fact of the matter is, is that accutane is very serious medicine. For many it has amazing results, but that does come with a chance of the side effects.

I definately noticed tons of side effects (back pain, nosebleeds, sadness, depression).

One thing to remember tho, is that poor skin leads to low self esteem, which can also lead to depression. It may not always be the medicine, but for some it is.

It's important to know yourself and know when you're just not feeling right.

Good luck!!!

hey brother, i understand your concern!! you need to be!! the side effects are devistating!!

what i would recomend is a prolonged dose of maybe 10mg a day MAX!! i would not exceed it.. people have seen tremendous results from doing the long term lose dose regime!!! i would totally go for it!

i think my problem was going on 60 and being so tiny!!

but all in all, i probably would have taken the drug again if i could go back, just a much smaller dose... i mean... acne is just awful man.. i know.. at least now i have beautiful skin... just other shitty ass side effects. but be cautious about it brother!!

Over 30% of patients have: Headache, fever, dry skin, dry mucous membranes (mouth, nose), bone pain, nausea and vomiting, rash, mouth sores, itching, sweating, eyesight changes. - had all of these except nausea and vomiting, mouth sores, fever and sweating but now are all gone

For me: (all of these have now dissapeared though)

* Back pain -Yes

* Pain in muscles and joints - Yes

* Allergic reaction - No

* Abdominal pain - No

* Poor appetite - Yes

* Dizziness - No

* Drowsiness - Yes

* Insomnia - ?

* Anxiety - Yes

* Numbness and tingling of hands and feet - No

* Weakness - Yes

* Depression - Yes

* Hair loss (thinning) - No

* Dry eyes, sensitivity to light (see eye problems) - Yes

* Decreased night vision, which may persist after treatment is stopped - No

* Swelling of the feet or ankles - No

For me:

* Back pain - Sometimes

* Pain in muscles and joints - No

* Allergic reaction - No

* Abdominal pain - No

* Poor appetite - No

* Dizziness - No

* Drowsiness - Sometimes

* Insomnia - Sometimes

* Anxiety - No

* Numbness and tingling of hands and feet - No

* Weakness - Sometimes

* Depression - No

* Hair loss (thinning) - No

* Dry eyes, sensitivity to light (see eye problems) - No

* Decreased night vision, which may persist after treatment is stopped - No

* Swelling of the feet or ankles - No

I'm taking Sotret brand of Accutane.

Ive been on Accutane for 2 times other than this one.

A very important tip: STOP WORRYING SO MUCH ABOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS !

There is nothing to worry about! You will face some side effects: Yes. But they aren't that important in comparison to the outcome you are going to get out of the treatment! ALL the side effects will eventually disappear as soon as your course is over!

Just relax. The vast majority of the listed side effects occur very rarely. If you read the medical reports of any other medications you will find out that they too list some advanced side effects that occur Rarely as mentioned everywhere.

All you have to do is keep a lipstick in your pocket and remember to drink water from time to time and live your life normally!

Ive been on Accutane for 2 times other than this one.

A very important tip: STOP WORRYING SO MUCH ABOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS !

There is nothing to worry about! You will face some side effects: Yes. But they aren't that important in comparison to the outcome you are going to get out of the treatment! ALL the side effects will eventually disappear as soon as your course is over!

Just relax. The vast majority of the listed side effects occur very rarely. If you read the medical reports of any other medications you will find out that they too list some advanced side effects that occur Rarely as mentioned everywhere.

All you have to do is keep a lipstick in your pocket and remember to drink water from time to time and live your life normally!

I was scared as hell to take accutane and tried everthing under the sun for 10 years ad finally gave in. I am experiencing bad lower spinal pain (with cracking sounds), sharp and dull muscle pains and am having to have all kinds of blood work, to be followed with xrays, MRI, etc.

My thought was that I would try accutane and go off of it when the side effects got to be too much. Hopefully it wasn't too late....

If you dig into alllll the potential side effects of most medications today, they will freak you out.

My mother has multiple sclerosis, she is on a plethora of medicines. Some minor, some major. I look into the side effects of each one. It can be pretty frightening, but she's fine. Generally people are FINE. By law they have to list any potential side effect. Potential isnt another word for definately.

If you dig into alllll the potential side effects of most medications today, they will freak you out.

My mother has multiple sclerosis, she is on a plethora of medicines. Some minor, some major. I look into the side effects of each one. It can be pretty frightening, but she's fine. Generally people are FINE. By law they have to list any potential side effect. Potential isnt another word for definately.

yeah.......

but you see before you take any medications you need to treat the side effects as if they are an absolute possibility they will arise in your system. its just sheer carelessness to loosely use the word "potential" as a likeness it wont happen. i am a good example of that, i just glanced at the side effects, saw that hairloss was "rare" and most recovered, so i was like "welp ok then, lets hop on the clear skin train" and now im loosing my precious locks.

there is no real logic in classifying side effects in rank of probability!!! it is carless and illogical to do so!!

people listen, i don't care if there is a side effect that 1% of the populution has suffered from, i will treat it the same as a side effect that 99% of the people suffer from.

if medical experts have discovered that a medication can create a certain side effect, beware!! it could become you. you should suppose that you will get this side effect and then decide if it something you can handle, if it is something you can handle then by all means take the medication!

look at side effects not as ranked probability, but as concrete effects!! a possible side effect is a possible side effect!!!!!!!

janey my guess is you have either taken accutane or plan on taking it very soon and view it as your last hope or a blessing from god, you have made the decision that the drug is for you and it is the right decision to take it.

Let me tell you now unless your acne is extremely severe you are sorely mistaken.

All that needs to be said is using a drug such as roaccutane for acne, is like using a nuclear warhead to get rid of a few rats in the back garden.

The inevitable collateral damage is way to high for a problem such as acne.

Edit: as for the hairloss, i'm sure you know that MPB is down to levels of hormones and sensitivity of hormone receptors at the hair follicle.

Now let me explain something to you, body hair is infact stimulated by DHT/androgens. Where as head hair is negatively affected by the two. Guess what i started loosing tonnes of body hair around the same time i began loosing my head hair in a diffuse pattern. It has nothing to do with MPB in 99% of the cases of accutane hairloss. There are poor women out there suffering the exact same problem as us, to the same degree. I hope you do not become one of them.

Sorry if i come across as rude, but when you even suggest that someones hairloss is probably just male pattern baldness because you have seen it happen to other men at an early age really annoys me. Ignorance is bliss ofcourse.