Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EnkaiNami

Please help me...what should I do for this?

My skin is pretty much horrible as of right now, and I don't know what to do, or what I have (what my skin problem is, I mean).

My skin turns beet red after being washed and stays that way for hours. There are a lot of slightly elevated oval shaped (sort of) red marks on my skin that get pustule-like on and off. That used to be my main problem, but now ALL of my skin, to the touch and looks like, a bunch of miniature bumps all over my cheeks, forehead, and as of this morning, chin. Touching it, it feels like grains on my skin. Not even a millimeter of smooth skin any more, literally. I'm very depressed.

I've stopped washing my face completely, because I am at such a lost at what to do anymore. Can anyone tell me what I have, and advice on how to get rid of it?

The only thing I'd oppose to is anything harsh (extremely sensitive skin), and no Retin-A (which is what made me get these new bumps in the first place. 0.01% was too strong for me, then derm gave me 0.025%...completely wrecked my already awful skin).

Anyone...?

EDIT: I heard yogurt is good for whiteheads. I just got Dial Yogurt hand wash, and it makes my hands feel very soft, but I wonder if it is safe to use on your face? I heard the body wash doesn't clog pores (from a somewhat reliable source, I suppose), but the handwash, I don't know. Any advice on that?

I don't think yogurt is going to do much for whatever is going on with your skin at the moment. Did you have the redness before starting retin-A? Are the new bumps red or skin colored? Do you mostly get inflamed pimples (pustules, papules, etc.) or noninflamed (closed comedones, or whiteheads)?

I had redness before Retin-A, but the Retin-A made it worse because I still got pimples that turned bright red after washing. It also gave me the tiny weird bumps.

The tiny bumps are skin colored, and hard. They're only a few millimeters apart and they are all over. They haven't gone away in over a month.

I have more whiteheads than pimples as of this moment, but I have about 10-13 pustules/papules at the moment that are inflamed.

I quit taking Retin-A, but it's bad effect is lasting.

I quit using cleansers all together (because of the tiny hard bumps, I was desperate to do anything to get rid of them), but I used to be gentle when I washed.

How do you wash without gently rubbing?

It sounds like you may have widespread noninflamed acne (closed comedones). These may or may not become inflamed pimples. You need something that exfoliates your skin really well. I would wait for the redness from the retin-a to die down before adding any new products in. How long since you have used retin-a?

Don't stop washing your face - it may be contributing to the increase breakouts you are seeing. Try using a gentle cleanser twice a day, and a noncomedogenic moisturizer if you get dry, along with a noncomedogenic sunscreen. After you have been off the retin-a for a few weeks or so, you might try starting a new regimen. I have a link for a regimen for noninflamed acne that you might consider trying. It is from my acne clinic. Or you might consider trying my acne clinic's long distance treatment plan. They are very, very good at treating all types of acne - even long distance. The website is: www.facerealityskincare.com.

If you just want to try the noninflamed acne regimen on your own, I can give you a link to the regimen if you are interested.

Have you considered that it might be rosacea? Your description sounds almost exactly the way mine presented initially. I thought it was an acne outbreak, but not only didn't it respond to BP, but it got worse.

It usually doesn't develop until late 20-30's. Are you in the right demographic or is there a history of rosacea in your family?

I'm 17, so I don't think I have rosacea, and no one in my family has it.

It's been three weeks since I've been off Retin-A. Those darn little bumps have been around for about a month now. My derm. insists that he wants to put me back on it, but I'm starting to think he's being stupid.

Sure, I can try the regimen. I'll try virtually anything.

It's been three weeks since I've been off Retin-A. Those darn little bumps have been around for about a month now. My derm. insists that he wants to put me back on it, but I'm starting to think he's being stupid.

Ok, here is Laura's Regimen for noninflamed acne:

http://www.acne.org/non-inflamed-acne-regimen.html

It is only meant for those who mostly have noninflamed acne. If you are prone to getting a lot of inflamed pimples too, then you probably need a slightly different regimen than this one.

Ok, here is Laura's Regimen for noninflamed acne:

http://www.acne.org/non-inflamed-acne-regimen.html

It is only meant for those who mostly have noninflamed acne. If you are prone to getting a lot of inflamed pimples too, then you probably need a slightly different regimen than this one.

Don't forget there's usually an initial breakout with Retin-A - things get worse before they get better. How long were you using it for? I broke out for the first month or so, but after that saw drastic improvements. It was bad at first but well worth persevering.

Hope you find something that helps, it's hard to advise on the handwash without knowing the ingredients, but would guess it contains a foaming agent such as sodium lauryl sulfate which is bad for acne.