Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
headtrip_honey

Lactose-Free Cooking

Hi, guys, I'll preface this by saying that I am NOT lactose-intolerant (although I was until I was about 3 years old).

However, I volunteer in a church's nursery program, and there is a little girl named Ceylon (pronounced Jay-lon...it's Turkish) who is lactose-intolerant. She has a birthday coming up next week, and I want to make her some dairy-free cupcakes to have for our snack time.

I always feel so bad that she can't have what the other kids are having (her parents bring her a special snack, although she partakes in any fresh fruit or vegetables we might have for the general snack) so I thought it would be nice to make a snack that she can share with anyone.

I've found some recipes online that sound good, but I wondered if anyone here had any they'd like to share?

How thoughtful of you! I'm sure she would be very excited. :)

I don't have a recipe I've tried myself, but I did come across this one by the author of Vegan Lunch Box - her recipes are really popular, so I'm sure it'd be great! This link has a recipe for Chocolate Icing and Fluffy White Cupcakes. :)http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/search?q=cupcakes

Not sure how much this helps, but you can use lactose-free milk for any recipe that calls for milk. Such milk has been treated so that the lactose in it has already been broken down into glucose and galactose.

I've never had it, but supposedly lactose-free milk tastes like the under side of a dog :shock: .

Vietnamese Banana Coconut Pudding - It's a sweet pudding with a rich coconut flavor. All vegetarian, very popular with small children, and fun to eat. You might want to cut down the sugar a little bit.

I've never had it, but supposedly lactose-free milk tastes like the under side of a dog :shock: .

I have to say that the lactose free milk is pretty gross. I can't think of a good alternative for recipes that involve cooking or baking.

All Kraft cheese is pretty much lactose free due to the processing. I have been lactose intolerant since starting puberty, and I only found this out very recently, and have tried eating it without any problems.

I am with rakbs on the lactose-free milk. I'm lactose intolerant and love milk and drink lactose free milk (lactaid) all the time and it tastes just like 'real' milk.

I suggest you give it a go. It'll be something the children like :) not some fancy recipe that's really catered for adults. Just make sure she's lactose intolerant and not that she has a milk allergy. Sometimes they are confused. She won't be able to have any milk if she has a milk allergy.

I am with rakbs on the lactose-free milk. I'm lactose intolerant and love milk and drink lactose free milk (lactaid) all the time and it tastes just like 'real' milk.

I suggest you give it a go. It'll be something the children like :) not some fancy recipe that's really catered for adults. Just make sure she's lactose intolerant and not that she has a milk allergy. Sometimes they are confused. She won't be able to have any milk if she has a milk allergy.

Update: Finally heard back from her parents, and she is allergic to milk and eggs in ALL forms.

However, her mom also gave me her favorite recipe for cake...yay!

Kid-tested, mother approved?

Here's the recipe, in case anyone was interested:

CRAZY CAKE

3 cups flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup cocoa

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons vinegar

2 cups lukewarm water

1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all ingredients together in a 9x13 cake pan and stir with a fork until smooth and creamy. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.