Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
syrup face

Accutane's effect on mental health

Posted

After doing endless research on Accutane and it's effects on the brain and overall mental health, and also experiencing side effects first hand, I've become quite aware that this drug does alter the mental state of the user. Whether these effects are permanent or not is the question.

If you've ever taking accutane, or are taking it, and have felt spaced out, mentally foggy, depressed or unmotivated - you're not alone; this seems to be quite common.

I've come across countless posts on here and other forums on the net, complaining of loss of concentration, intelligence & memory, depression, mood swings, anxiety & phychosis. They describe feelings of "brain fog", "spaceyness", or simply not feeling like the same person. I've experienced all of these side effects myself, minus phychosis, and have only been on accutane for 3 weeks. I've even noticed loss of libido (sexual desire). I started out at 80mg, and have since cut my dose down to 40mg administered every 2 days.

My question is for those who were on accutane and have ended treatment: Did you experience any of these side effects, and if so, what were they and did they go away or continue after the treatment ended? Also, how long ago did you take accutane and what was your dosage? Ty.

Posted

In my experience the brain fog, "spaceyness" lack of concentration all go back to normall pretty quickly after accutane. I know some people complain of a lack of concentration long after accutane though, but this is just my experience.

As for the depression, mood swings and anxiety (i never had any of these TERRIBLY mind you). I can say that they all improve once you stop and the longer i have been off the drug the more i improve, however the brain can only repair so much damage, and that is what accutane does, it damages certain receptors. The brain has amazing capacity to repair itself (contains stem cells), but it can only do so much.

Everyone who goes on accutane has a certain number of receptors killed off, any underlying condition such as depression, OCD, anxiety etc all become far more apparent. Selective Seratonin reuptake inhibitors are the best thing for accutane patients. I have told myself every change in my mental state is down to the physical side effects i now suffer from due to accutane, but the fact of the matter is my ability to deal with them has probably been greatly altered aswell....

I have a terrible intolerance to stressfull situations thanks to accutane.

Posted

My dermatologist and I spoke at length regarding the side effects of accutane on several occassions.

I fully trust his opinions of the drug, and his response was that the severe side effects of tane are RARE and seen in HIGH doses (he said there are skin diseases-other than acne- that they use tane for that are high dose/long term treatments). Also, the vast majority are TEMPORARY. My derm is highly qualified...love, love, love him. He's awesome.

I was tired on accutane and not real motivated to work out. No loss of mental functioning. The thing is, I was also exhausted on antibiotics. (Fatigue is also a side effect of antibiotics.) I'm just sensitive to meds that way.

I've been off the drug for over a year. My skin is clear and I feel great.

I experienced mild achiness, mild fatigue, dry lips and eyes, and mild hairloss. All the side effects began to reduce within 2 weeks of stopping my course. They all went away after 2 months.

Posted

I took accutane over two years now and was the only thing that cleared my skin up. However i definately got depressed while on the course could barely come out of my room over xmas. I remember reading all of the possible side effects on the back of the prescription and it almost put me off it, although i am glad i stuck it out now!!

Posted

Ty. Anyone else?

Posted

bump

Posted

I am really getting worried. I have been on accutane for 90 days. 1 40mg pill everyday. The only serious side effect I encountered during the course was frequent headache leading me to think I have brain tumor. I saw 4-5 different family physicians about this. All of them said that they are 99% sure that I dont have brain tumor. In any case, my family physician got a CT scan of my head done. It turned out to be negative. I was GREATLY relieved after that. That one week before the results came was hell. I jsut thought that I am going to die.

I have been off accutane for 22 days now. 7 days ago, the stupid lightheadedness appeared. If I am right, accutane takes about 9 days to be cleared from blood. Lightheadedness appeared after I wrote my exam. It felt that I am getting sick. Came home and meaured my temp, it was around 38 celsius. 1 degree higher. Thought maybe thats the case. But its been here for 7 days now and my temp is 37 celsius. It feels I am on weed. Little bit lack of concentration. But werent these side effects suppose to show up while I WAS on the drug and not 22 days after I stopped it. I am really really getting worried! Not really dizzy like it doesnt seem that environment is circling but there is this feeling that I am "foggy and cloudy." Like I am on drugs and cannot think clearly.

What should I do?

Posted
I am really getting worried. I have been on accutane for 90 days. 1 40mg pill everyday. The only serious side effect I encountered during the course was frequent headache leading me to think I have brain tumor. I saw 4-5 different family physicians about this. All of them said that they are 99% sure that I dont have brain tumor. In any case, my family physician got a CT scan of my head done. It turned out to be negative. I was GREATLY relieved after that. That one week before the results came was hell. I jsut thought that I am going to die.

I have been off accutane for 22 days now. 7 days ago, the stupid lightheadedness appeared. If I am right, accutane takes about 9 days to be cleared from blood. Lightheadedness appeared after I wrote my exam. It felt that I am getting sick. Came home and meaured my temp, it was around 38 celsius. 1 degree higher. Thought maybe thats the case. But its been here for 7 days now and my temp is 37 celsius. It feels I am on weed. Little bit lack of concentration. But werent these side effects suppose to show up while I WAS on the drug and not 22 days after I stopped it. I am really really getting worried! Not really dizzy like it doesnt seem that environment is circling but there is this feeling that I am "foggy and cloudy." Like I am on drugs and cannot think clearly.

What should I do?

Posted

wow guys. you all think a fever and a bit of spaceyness is bothersome? try being hospitalized for a few days because you were seeing shit and were so dizzy you couldnt walk. accutane can kill you. it almost killed me. and thats MY story. if any of you REALLY want some real life advice from someone who's been through some serious shit with accutane, message me. ill tell you everything you need to know.

Posted

Still, a lot of people won't experience this. The side effects are subjective and most are minor. I have depression but I understand it's the medication and I am working on it so it's not as bad. Most people won't become super depressed or super dizzy or die... Most people will get dry skin and clear for a while :). Sadly some people (although a minority) will experience further side effects.

I still say use accutane, even after the depression it has caused me, because in the end when you come off you will be soo bountifully happy ;).

Posted
After doing endless research on Accutane and it's effects on the brain and overall mental health, and also experiencing side effects first hand, I've become quite aware that this drug does indeed alter the mental state of the user. Whether these effects are permanent or not is what I'm trying to figure out.

If you've ever taking accutane, or are taking it, and have felt spaced out, mentally foggy, depressed or unmotivated - you're not alone; this seems to be quite common.

I've come across countless posts on here and other forums on the net, complaining of loss of concentration, intelligence & memory, depression, mood swings, anxiety & phychosis. They describe feelings of "brain fog", "spaceyness", or simply not feeling like the same person. I've experienced all of these side effects myself, minus phychosis, and have only been on accutane for 3 weeks. I've even noticed loss of libido (sexual desire). I started out at 80mg, and have since cut my dose down to 40mg administered every 2 days.

My question is for those who were on accutane and have ended treatment: Did you experience any of these side effects, and if so, what were they and did they go away or continue after the treatment ended? Also, how long ago did you take accutane and what was your dosage? Ty.

Posted

Roughly 3 months after my last tane dose (this was my second time on Accutane) I developed severe depression. At times I'd say I was pretty close to killing myself, something I now hate to admit :redface: . Looking back now I'm amazed I got so low but I suppose it could happen to anyone. The doc put me on Prozac for 9 months but mentioned that although it is unlikely Roaccutane caused the depression, it is possible that it had increased my susceptibility to catching the disorder. I still have acne but no signs of depression and am generally a happy young male.

One other side affect I had on tane which no one could explain were twitches. In particular my head would twitch to the right every few seconds on certain days. I assume this is related to the brain/central nervous system. I'm sure this twitching was connected to Roaccutane as only happened while I was on the drug and the symptom disappeared shortly after I finished my last dosage.

Posted
Roughly 3 months after my last tane dose (this was my second time on Accutane) I developed severe depression. At times I'd say I was pretty close to killing myself, something I now hate to admit :redface: . Looking back now I'm amazed I got so low but I suppose it could happen to anyone. The doc put me on Prozac for 9 months but mentioned that although it is unlikely Roaccutane caused the depression, it is possible that it had increased my susceptibility to catching the disorder. I still have acne but no signs of depression and am generally a happy young male.

One other side affect I had on tane which no one could explain were twitches. In particular my head would twitch to the right every few seconds on certain days. I assume this is related to the brain/central nervous system. I'm sure this twitching was connected to Roaccutane as only happened while I was on the drug and the symptom disappeared shortly after I finished my last dosage.

Posted

40mg a day for 6 months.

Did nothing for my acne.

And i cant concentrate when someones talking to me i cant understand someone if there telling me something like 100% of the time no joking

Im going to try and go on a second cycle though.

Even though Accutain has been a waste of time for me for 6 months i do reccomend it because it does work.. Im just hoping it works for me on the 2nd cycle.

6 months of hell again GREAT!

Another countless months hell

Posted

yes, I'm on 80mg and I feel spaced out and foggy as fuck :9 it is horrible. I have 7 A level exams and I am gonna fail them all

Posted

I felt pretty spaced out, but it had NO effect on my grades and it all went away 2-3 weeks after i stopped taking the drug