Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

Dumb Question..

Dumb,but I wanted to see what you guys think. If a scar looks normal when it's swollen, does that mean a filler would work really well?

I ask because I have an awful scar on my chin(it's my most hated scar) it looks like someone took a knife and slashed me. Well it's swollen now, and it looks pretty good...the deep horizontal line is gone.

Not a dumb Q at all!

I would say yes.... but I guess that would depend on the experience of the derm.

It's so encouraging! Even though I know it's just temporary, at least I have hope that I can use a filler there and it'll look normal.

It's amazing. I mean it's normally a really deep long line and it's invisible right now. This same scar/line prompted a Physician's Assistant to look at me in horror and say, "What happened."

I keep looking in the mirror today, and even in the morning light it looks good. I forgot what it looked like to not have it there--it's almost strange since I'm so used to seeing it #-o

OOH, I wonder if it is my hyalaronic acid I've been using lately? [-o< (little kid in me wishing and hoping).

I'm really going to hate it when the swelling goes down guys sad.gif

Emma

I've heard that sometimes a pimple in the area of a scar will raise the scar permanantly - that would be cool huh?

Hi, Emma, I was just wondering this myself the other day. I do tend to think that a scar that disappears with swelling would benefit from fillers. One question I have is, is subcision always performed with fillers are injected? I think this would affect the outcome. Also, I have found that silicone pads (like rejuveness and spenco) do a great job of temporarily plumping up such scars. Maybe it's hyper-hydration, I don't know. But these pads tend to give my skin that swollen effect (without the redness and soreness) for a few hours at least. Good luck, and thanks for answering my questions.

Hi, Emma,  I was just wondering this myself the other day.  I do tend to think that a scar that disappears with swelling would benefit from fillers.  One question I have is, is subcision always performed with fillers are injected?  I think this would affect the outcome.  Also, I have found that silicone pads (like rejuveness and spenco) do a great job of temporarily plumping up such scars.  Maybe it's hyper-hydration, I don't know. But these pads tend to give my skin that swollen effect (without the redness and soreness) for a few hours at least.  Good luck, and thanks for answering my questions.

I first tried the spenco second skin "scar management pad," which I found in the drug store. It is about a 2 x 4 inch, fairly thick (1/16 inch or so) pure silicone pad. This particular brand is self adhesive (it's actually sort of gooey and sticks to your skin, but on areas that get a lot of movement, you may need to tape it down.) I usually place it on my scars (surgical "seams"--so both a bit indented and also a bit raised at the edges, if that makes sense) over night, and when I wake up in the morning, my scars seem much more flush. I've just recently tried rejuveness, which is much thinner, dry (not gooey) and needs to be secured with tape. While they both seem to work, I think the rejuveness works better (also more expensive). Silicone pads are intended for hypertrophic scars, but I find that they help level out all of my scars. And while the immediate effects are temporary, this is supposed to be a slow cumulative process, so I think the overall appearance of scars should improve over time. There are some interesting testimonials on these products at epinions.com--maybe check them out. Also, if you want to save money, try looking for these on e-bay (NIB)--much cheaper than if you buy them in a store or from the manufacturer (plus they can be tough to find in the store). Hope this helps. BTW, have you contacted Dr. Y yet?

--leo

maya, in the u.s. we don't have any permanent dermal fillers such as AQUAMID, ARTECOLL, ARGIFORM and others. These are most popular in europe such as the UK. I wonder if there's any UK folks talking about it. Do you hear alot of people using Aquamid in the UK?

and can anymore canadian folks or uk folks go more into this? I would think that the cure for scars is right in your own ballpark.