Notifications
Clear all

Safe to use BP with Azelaic acid?

MemberMember
(@zitophobe)

Posted : 03/21/2008 5:28 pm

I've been using BP and Retin-A for a long time, but have just been given azelaic acid to replace them in the hope of greater success. My derm has said to stop using everything and just apply the azelaic acid, but I'm nervous about no longer using BP (the only thing that has ever really helped).

So would it be safe, at least initially, to continue applying it....or at least spot-treating with it? Has anyone done a similar switch before with good results? (I have more faith in you guys than I do my derm!)

MemberMember
(@zitophobe)

Posted : 03/25/2008 1:50 pm

Anyone? And PLEASE tell me this azelaic acid-induced itching will go away soon, it's driving me craazzzzy and keeping me awake at night!

MemberMember
(@narco220)

Posted : 03/31/2008 3:03 pm

Anyone? And PLEASE tell me this azelaic acid-induced itching will go away soon, it's driving me craazzzzy and keeping me awake at night!

Sorry to say ive not used it myself but having just read about it, i would be interested in tryin it.

Is it a new product here in the uk? as ive not heard of it untill now and will be interested in your progress using it ;)

Good luck and keep us posted ;)

MemberMember
(@zitophobe)

Posted : 03/31/2008 3:30 pm

Hi Narco, thanks for your reply :) I'm now a week in and the itching has definitely improved - yay! Still too early to see any results yet, but so far (touch wood) things haven't got any worse, which I was afraid of due to stopping BP.

I don't think azelaic acid is new here in the UK, you may recognise it from its brand names such as Skinoren cream or Finacea gel.

Good luck if you decide to try it :)

"Azelaic acid is used to treat both comedonal acne and inflammatory acne. It works in part by stopping the growth of skin bacteria that cause acne, and by keeping skin pores clear. It is also used as a topical treatment for Rosacea, due to its ability to reduce inflamation."
MemberMember
(@asiaxiah)

Posted : 03/31/2008 4:58 pm

Great to hear that you're trying out Azelaic Acid. I'm on my 2nd and a half week on it, and it's been working better for me than any other topical.

I think you should try to just use the Azelaic Acid because as you're already experienced, it does have a rather irritating itchy/burning side effect for the first few weeks of treatment (I've gotten to a point where I can put it on with it barely tingling now, and so happy about it).

I was actually going to post a new thread, but I've felt that for Azelaic Acid, it's important to note that retinoid users who switch immediately to it are actually at a higher risk of experiencing bad side effects (someone who've used retinoids for a short length of time or didn't use them at all may experience just the normal itching/tingling, but someone who's used retinoids for a long time and suddenly switches to Azelaic Acid may experience very bad versions of those side effects).

I actually had given up on Azelaic Acid on my first try because even after 2 weeks of it, my skin was getting a chemical burn every time I put it on. But, with my new, wise dermatologist, she had me use no topicals for 2 weeks and then made me put on Azelex, which became the key component in giving my skin the time to breathe and work itself back up.

Anyhow, I hope you keep on seeing the great benefits of Azelaic Acid!

MemberMember
(@christine5229)

Posted : 08/24/2015 10:58 am

I use bp with Azelaic acid, no irritation or anything