Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it ever better to pop a pimple than to leave it alone? I have one on my cheek and don't want it to scar. Any suggestions.

hot hot compress as hot as you can take it get that shit out!!!!!!!then clean it with some hy.perioxde after that put some cordzone cream it takes the redness away

I have generally mild acne(mostly red spots than zits)

but I do get my share of bad zits from time to time, like just the past few days 2 pretty gnarly whiteheads have popped up. I tried not to pop them, but they got brushed against my pillow, and popped on their own accord.

one of them looks okay, the other one is much redder and a little bigger now.

all in all, I'd say DON'T pop them, and if you do, rinse your face with vinegar or an antibacterial.

I do pop the white heads only and right after use vinegar to kill the bacteria left behind and once the pore is dry and kind of closed up then I use elicina cream to help it heal. I know that many people don't like elicina because it doesn't really help with old acne scars but it does wonders for fresh scars. I always had scars left behind from poping but after starting on elicina, I never get scars and because I exfoliate before using the cream, It gets deeper in the skin and I heal right away. No kidding! biggrin.gif

at first i thought popping it wasn't good. but now after it was first performed on me by a doctor in the ER room, i realized that it heals faster, almost instantly, with no scarring and with less redmarks. they used a pin of some kind and punctured it, then squeezed and drained it. it was red at first, then a few days later the skin healed with no more acne. the body sends antigens and white bloodcells to heal the wound faster than it heals acne. they used sterile instruments to create the puncture.

agreed^

if a spot is drained properly (the way a derm does it) it will go faster, but i have learned that if its done badly, or before it's ready, it comes back to a head, bigger than before, or spreads into multiple spots, or worse, it scars.

if you are gonna pop, dont get on a roll and squeeze every pore on your face..(i have done this, popping gets out of control sometimes, and the results are nasty)...your hands should be scrubbed and needles sterilised (boil it in water for a few mins), and use fresh needle/scrub hands again before touching another zit, or any other part of your face.

the pus that comes out of your zit will contain loads of nasty bacteria which would just love you to spread them around your face.

afterwards i splash with cold water, or ice it, i dont know whether it helps, but it stops the popped zit leaking fluid.

if its huge, and mega-sore i dab on savlon, and if its not too bad just bp, which helps to dry it out.

overall, i have noticed the less i touch, pop, or pick, the less breakouts i have. but sometimes action needs to be taken with big juicy ripe ones that aint going no-where. usually i leave it for a day or two, and if it doesnt go, i attack the bugger.

agreed^

if a spot is drained properly (the way a derm does it) it will go faster, but i have learned that if its done badly, or before it's ready, it comes back to a head, bigger than before, or spreads into multiple spots, or worse, it scars.

if you are gonna pop, dont get on a roll and squeeze every pore on your face..(i have done this, popping gets out of control sometimes, and the results are nasty)...your hands should be scrubbed and needles sterilised (boil it in water for a few mins), and use fresh needle/scrub hands again before touching another zit, or any other part of your face.

the pus that comes out of your zit will contain loads of nasty bacteria which would just love you to spread them around your face.

afterwards i splash with cold water, or ice it, i dont know whether it helps, but it stops the popped zit leaking fluid.

if its huge, and mega-sore i dab on savlon, and if its not too bad just bp, which helps to dry it out.

overall, i have noticed the less i touch, pop, or pick, the less breakouts i have. but sometimes action needs to be taken with big juicy ripe ones that aint going no-where.  usually i leave it for a day or two, and if it doesnt go, i attack the bugger.

I know I'm not supposed to, but, if it looks "poppable"...I get a bowl(or paper cup, see below) of hot, salted water, swab the pimple and my fingers with peroxide, and I ...pop it. Then soak pimple in the salt water to draw out the puss for awhile. Then apply Epicuren's Probiotic Facial Cream--it will make it go away sooner. If you are concerned about scarring, put on Calendula ointment or cream--it will speed up the healing of any cut, scrape, or burn.

But of course, you should never, ever, pop your pimples...

I think when a whitehead is "ripe" u should pop it. I remember I listened to the whole dont pop ur pimple thing years ago and tried it. Went to school everyday with a dozen of whiteheads of my face. People were probably disgusted to look at me. And not only that, the whiteheads would soon harden and turn itno this hard yellowish thing that leaves a indentation in ur skin (well, at least on my skin).

I don't suggest popping. As an example, for the past week I've had tons of small whiteheads that just kept coming right next to my nose and I just kept popping. I realized this was the only part of my face still getting pimples on my current regimen like this and I wasn't doing anything else differently.

I stopped popping them. Looked a bit crappier for a few days but dealt with it, and now the area is clear. If you have a very big whitehead or something it should naturally open up after awhile in which case you can very lightly squeeze out some of the puss, but I don't try to force anything out that doesn't want to come out with very very light squeezing.

there are certain zits to me that I know if i could pop or not. explaining them would get confusing, but most of the time i don't pop but every once in a while there's those zits that you just HAVE to (psychologically of course, but relieving pressure and all that bacteria and junk could help some zits heal faster)

As long as you live, you'll NEVER see everyone agree on this subject.

Here's my $.02 :

The conservative answer is "don't pop". This is geared toward those people who cannot be trusted with sharp objects and are too dumb to know how to sterilize. These people shouldn't pop, as doing so would likely cause worsening of the infection and possible scars. (These are also the people you shouldn't trust behind the wheel of a car, around animals/small children, etc.)

The realisitic answer is "pop them only when they are ready to be popped and pop them carefully!" This means make sure you are using clean, sterilized instruments, do not be too agressive, and only pop when the pimple has formed a head. Take a small, clean needle and *gently* poke the white head of the pimple...only deep enough to penetrate the surface. Then, remove the needle, put tissue around your fingers, and *gently* squeeze each side until it either runs clear (or blood is becoming visible). Once you see blood...stop. Once the stuff that's coming out is clear...stop. Then, rinse your face with lukewarm water and dab the spots with Tea Tree Oil, BP, or whatever your anti-microbial of choice may be.

If you do this, you should have no problems.