Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snack

Just really depressed about the whole thing.

It just seems like nothing works. I tried the OTC regimens for awhile, tried Dan's Regimen, went to a derm and tried Retin-A, tried oral antibiotics and all that jazz. My last hope was Accutane, and that worked great while I was on it, but now that I've been off for awhile I'm starting to get tiny whiteheads and blackheads again, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before things get bad again.

Considering I'm nearly 22 and nothing's been working, it occurred to me today that I should reevaluate the whole "diet/acne myth." I spent almost all day today Googling around for answers, but for every site that indicates there's a definitive connection there's another that says there isn't. Basically, I have no idea. But even if there was a connection, I'm in an ongoing struggle to gain weight (I am, and always have been, a little underweight for my height and I'm trying to change that) and not really in any position to be cutting things out of my diet. I feel like I have to choose between trying to achieve a healthy weight and acne, which is why I have been praying for so long that my acne is NOT diet related (I eat fairly well balanced, but still...).

Basically, I just feel really shitty right now. All I'm doing for my face is cleansing twice a day with Dan's cleanser because I'm too afraid to try anything else for fear of getting worse breakouts. I'm meeting with a new derm in about two weeks, but I am extremely pessimistic about it. What miracle could this guy possibly offer? You'd think finding a good, reliable, consistent medication for acne would be easy in this day and age, but it's so....hard.

I'm sorry to whine. I'm actually a very optimistic person for the most part, but when it comes to acne I feel like I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. I just want to find something that works. Why is it so difficult? :l

Why can't you try to eat right for your skin but just eat larger quantities? Do you work out at all to put on muscle mass?

If you really want to see if diet and acne are related for you there is only one way to know, try. I am sure there are foods and recipes you can follow to gain weight while eating right for your skin. I bet lots of previous underweight guys have some tips. Unfortunately, I'm a previous overweight who is currently overweight. You can have my fat though. It's nice compact fat not too dimply!

I'm sorry you're frustrated though. I know the feeling. Did any treatment you tried, aside from accutane, give you at least moderate results? If so I'd do that now if you are afraid only in a matter of time you are going to break out badly again. At least you will have something controlling and combating the acne aside from cleanser.

Why can't you try to eat right for your skin but just eat larger quantities? Do you work out at all to put on muscle mass?

If you really want to see if diet and acne are related for you there is only one way to know, try. I am sure there are foods and recipes you can follow to gain weight while eating right for your skin. I bet lots of previous underweight guys have some tips. Unfortunately, I'm a previous overweight who is currently overweight. You can have my fat though. It's nice compact fat not too dimply!

I'm sorry you're frustrated though. I know the feeling. Did any treatment you tried, aside from accutane, give you at least moderate results? If so I'd do that now if you are afraid only in a matter of time you are going to break out badly again. At least you will have something controlling and combating the acne aside from cleanser.

I would suggest starting a new regimen with Dan's products. Maybe another moisturizer instead of Dan's. And then perhaps some AHA creme for spot treatment.

You could also look into some diets against acne. I just bought "The Dietary Cure for Acne" and oh boy. That is a great book. It tells you what to eat, and what to stay away from. Started reading it yesterway, and im starting my diet tomorrow.

I'm 95% clear, but I would like to keep it that way untill my hormones is balanced once again. So i'm doing anything I possible can to keep my skin nice.

And anyone who says food has nothing to do with acne, is wrong imo. Im seeing huge differences when im eating healthy.

Sorry about the bad english, i'm from Denmark ;)

T3, your English is fine. What does this book say to stay away from and what does it say to eat?

Snack, I find the whole diet and acne thing really confusing. I read sites that say to avoid nuts, and then I read a site that says eat almonds. Maybe the people over at the nutrition and holistic section can help you out more and wade through all the different diets? Because I know I have read things that say you should eat fish and nuts for healthy skin.

Good luck with the regimen, and learning to control the stress in your life. I think stress is a big thing because even if it doesn't really cause breakouts if you feel better then you can better cope with your acne. Otherwise you're going to feel like shit, take a look in the mirror and feel even shittier.

I'm not quite done reading it yet, but generelly it says:

Things to stay away from:

Dairy Foods (milk and so on..)

Cereal Grains (wheat, corn, oat)

Cereal Grain-Like Seeds

Legumes (Soy beans etc)

Starchy Tubers (potatoes etc.)

Yeast Containing Foods (baked goods: donuts and so on)

Fatty, Processed & Canned Meats & Fish (hamburgers, processed foods, canned tuna)

Alcoholic beverages

Sweets

Vegetable and Salad Oils, Margarines and Shortening (go with Olive Oil or Flaxseed oil)

While this seems somewhat extreme, you could still eat oat, brown rice and so on. Don't cut it all out. These things are only for the strict diet. (im trying to go extreme to see how it works)

Im not done with the "things to eat" part.

But in general it says:

- Fresh fish

- Loads of salads for dinner and lunch.

- You could make salads with fish/chicken.

- Slads with nuts. But go easy with the nuts, since too much can cause acne aswell because of the high protein amount.

- Supplements like Fish oil, Zinc, D-3 vitamines are good aswell.

- Fresh fruits

- Vegetables as snacks

I will update with some recipes and stuff that you can use for breakfast, dinner and lunch.

But the "things to avoid" part if the most important I think. Just consider what you eat, and you will se improvements.

To gain weight, try adding lots of unheated oil to everything you eat. Its healthy too!

Dont know who much healthy eating helps ur skin. I eat as health as i can veg and fruit every day etc. I really i dont think it helps. It does not make sense peolpe who eat the shit food dont get acne or spots but if u got acne and ur eating healthy it does'nt help its just like WTF. Eg one of my mate's eats like a pig eating alsorts of crap and hes does not get one damn spot.

Yeah, I've read that dairy and refined sugars are the biggies, but I don't eat any refined sugars and only a very small amount of dairy and I still break out. I'm really skeptical about the diet thing, but hey, if it works for some people, more power to you. The one thing I am a little concerned about is that I'm starting a whey protein powder soon to help with the weight gain, and I've heard this can aggravate acne. We'll see.

If it's really bad you can try accutane again. I had to go on accutane 3 times before my acne finally stopped for the most part.