Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
malia

once resistant, always resistant?

once a certain antibiotic stops working for someone the derm prescribes another. after a while, you run out of options! there is a limited number of antibiotics that treat acne without completely destroying all the "good" bacteria in your body. and all the "bad" bacteria has evolved to strains that are resistant to the antis you used to take....right?

why, then after a few years being off antibiotics, can you take the same one again and have it work???

i'm confused.

Hey, I don't know the answer to your question but I'm really interested. Have you switched back to a certain antibiotic after a few years and had it work? I used Benzamycin topical and got resistant to it about a year and a half ago and I'd like to switch back to it before I get resistant to Benzaclin. However, I'm not sure if I'd still be resistant to Benzamycin and I don't want to waste lots of money on the prescription if it isn't going to work.

As was said in the other thread, once the p.acnes bacteria is resistant to it, then thats it. I do not believe its possible to stop taking a drug for a given amount of time due to resistance, then somehow revert back to being non resistant as the same bacteria are present. For people who have seemingly experienced this, they were probably not resistant to the drug in the first place and simply had a break out for some reason. I hope i fall into this latter category as i am back on Minocin again.

noether:

if you are switching back to Benzamycin are you doing it because you have some of it left over? talk to your derm before you do and see what he says about resistance.

i am currently taking Doryx (doxycyline) and it MAY be working. i'm not too sure bc i had only mild acne before and started Retin-A Micro along with the antis. over the past 15years of dealing with acne i have tried a bunch of antibiotics and Accutane 3 times. i can't remember if i've used doxycycline before but if i'm correct it is under the tetracycline family. i used tetracycline for almost 3 years! although Doryx is under the tetracycline family it probably stops bacteria in a slightly different way (why would they give it another name if it didn't?)

Malia:

I don't have any Benzamycin left. I'll be starting my fourth month of using Benzaclin soon and I'd like to switch to something else before I get resistant to Benzaclin, so that it's always an option to come back to it if I can't find better stuff in the future. My idea is to switch to something else, and then use Benzaclin for a few more months, and the switch again...keep cycling it so the bacteria hopefully won't have time to develop immunity. I became resistant to Benzamycin a year and a half ago, which is really unfortunate because topicals containing antibiotics seem to work reasonably well for me, and I think these are the only two on the market. Too bad they don't make topicals with other tetracycline-derivative antibiotics. I was hoping that maybe after this long period of time Benzamycin would work again. I don't have a derm (I get the prescriptions from my regular doctor) and I don't have an appointment coming up anytime soon so I can't ask them about it. Maybe I'll ask the virology prof here at school. :-k

You didn't kill ALL the bacteria that isn't resistant so it makes a comeback and you kill it again.