Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jvman

Shaving cuts on Accutane, etc.

I'm just finishing up month five, and hopefully will only have one more month of this stuff. One thing I've noticed over the last few months is that I cut the hell out of myself virtually every time I shave. It's strange though, it seems to go in stages, for a week or two everything seems pretty normal and I don't get cuts. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my water intake or moisturizing. I've never had whitehead problem, but I've gotten two very large whiteheads in unusual places (one on my neck, one in my eyebrow line) that have literally popped up in less than a day, popped, and took a very long time to heal, leaving red marks. I guess I can't complain, as I've had no real cysts or noticeable initial breakout.

Yeah you'll get pimples in weird spots.

I had 'em on my legs for a little bit :-#

Try using an electric shaver, or different shaving cream.

If i have to use a razor, i use Neutrogena Razor Defense for Men

I'd still go with the electric shaver though

I second the electric shaver idea, I invested in a expensive one while I was on accutane because I did have a whitehead problem and there great, the pricier ones have a sensitivity setting on them aswell.

I guess I have very sensitive skin, but I've tried an electric in the past (several times in fact, and all the expensive Braun, Norelco stuff) and they always irritate me much worse than shaving. My routine is to shave in the shower, after I've been in there a bit. This makes a big difference, as does using a very sharp blade (I change mine every five days). I also lather up using a barbers brush, which helps the hair stand up better. A couple of years ago I started to get patches on my chin and neck where the hair doesn't grow (Alopecia Barbae). It's some sort of autoimmune disorder, and the cause is unknown. Some data indicates that major stress can set it off, and I was going thru a separation/divorce about the time it started. I personally think years of antibiotic use might have something to do with it, but my Derm doesn't think so. Anyway, my beard has always been dark and heavy, and now I have to shave extra-close otherwise the bald patches are more obvious. If I go out in the evening I need to shave beforehand. I'd be interested to see if any other guys here have Alopecia Barbae, and if there might be a relationship between that and cystic acne or longterm antibiotic use.