Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sid99

MIRACLE "solution" for hyperpigmentation marks ~ your views??

Okay so I have a few brown marks left from acne on my face. Bloody annoying. I was thinking a fast way of getting rid of them would be to tan. I know what your thinking sunlight will make it worse and only increase the level of melanin. True but what if you carefully cover ONLY the marks/discoloured areas with blotches of sunscreen and leave the lighter areas exposed, then go out in the sun for a short time. So your non-hyperpigmented areas will darken eventually to or near the same colour of the brown marks blending it in. I know the downfall is that you skin complexion get dark but who cares, better than having some nasty brown marks. I dont know if this will work with red marks as they are red so will still show but i reckon it will still be less noticeable. Also the tan will eventually fade off but hopefully by then the hyperpigmentation will also naturally start fading. If not just repeat the procedure until they eventually fade (3-12 months or whatever).

I have tried this last year and am quite sure the results were great, can't quite remember how great but great enough for me to stop thinking about it. This year I have some new fresh pigmented marks so im thinking to try it again.

Anyone else tried it? What do you guys think? A sweet little trick (this wont cure the marks but will just hide them)?

Okay so I have a few brown marks left from acne on my face. Bloody annoying. I was thinking a fast way of getting rid of them would be to tan. I know what your thinking sunlight will make it worse and only increase the level of melanin. True but what if you carefully cover ONLY the marks/discoloured areas with blotches of sunscreen and leave the lighter areas exposed, then go out in the sun for a short time. So your non-hyperpigmented areas will darken eventually to or near the same colour of the brown marks blending it in. I know the downfall is that you skin complexion get dark but who cares, better than having some nasty brown marks. I dont know if this will work with red marks as they are red so will still show but i reckon it will still be less noticeable. Also the tan will eventually fade off but hopefully by then the hyperpigmentation will also naturally start fading. If not just repeat the procedure until they eventually fade (3-12 months or whatever).

I have tried this last year and am quite sure the results were great, can't quite remember how great but great enough for me to stop thinking about it. This year I have some new fresh pigmented marks so im thinking to try it again.

Anyone else tried it? What do you guys think? A sweet little trick (this wont cure the marks but will just hide them)?

yeh a sweet little trick until you get an immense amount of sun damage to your skin and a high probability of getting malignant melanoma/skin cancer in later life, you should try using some low concentration peels to fade them instead, theres nothing wrong with a bit of sunlight on top of that but from what it sounds like you are way over exposing yourself to the sun

yeh a sweet little trick until you get an immense amount of sun damage to your skin and a high probability of getting malignant melanoma/skin cancer in later life, you should try using some low concentration peels to fade them instead, theres nothing wrong with a bit of sunlight on top of that but from what it sounds like you are way over exposing yourself to the sun

No, I would only do this procedure maybe once every 2 weeks for an hour at most. The effect may be immediate, and wont work as well in hiding the more darker marks, but will however blend smaller and lighter marks considerably. The biggest problem here in the UK is sunlight, nothing but rain and clouds these days. Also if this does work im hoping that as the tan fades the marks too will fade with it.

I've tried a gycolic peel and being asian I think it just caused me more hyperpigmentation. The process is far to risky for me, slow and painful, and the redness embarassing.

Instead I find the best method of exfoliation is a nice hot shower. Anyways anyone else tried this, I hear it also works for red marks but ofcourse this is a procedure that has to be done with care and moderation. Its no cure but only a temporary camfoulage until the problem areas resolve naturally.

Hi Sid. your technique sounds excellent. :dance:

I have often wondered how to do something similar. My numerous attempts to lighten the dark areas have been unsuccessful, so to darken the rest of the face instead, seems like a logical next choice. :)

I have post inflammatory hyperpigmenation all over my face. So I don't have well defined spots per se. But I wonder if I could still attempt to blend it in with a tan ?

Also, have you considered using a self-tanner? I would imagine that you can apply the self-tanning lotion all over the face and neck, and then take it off the dark spots using like a witch hazel on a q-tip. I'm thinking of trying that. If I don't get good result on my own, I suppose I could also try it with a person who airbrushes tans in a salon. My problem is that I'm extremely self conscious about my acne spots, and I have to wear makeup at all times. But in the summer time it is so horrible. The heat and humidity ruin the makeup, and I can never participate in fun summer activities because of it. So maybe this summer I will try to tan, or to use self-tanners. Acne and the spots are so annoying.

hey star4. For the new marks you got have you tried retin A I am recently on that and in one week it seem my marks have somewhat faded already. I am using a skin lightener with kojic acid in it which alone took me 2 months to almost fade a mark I had once before. But with the retinoid it seems faster.

The tanning technique I am pretty sure will work or atleast help as a quick fix unfortunately whilst on retinoids I cant experiement but I definitely would try it again! The logic is the same as TANNING STICKERS (google them) where you cover areas you dont want to get darker (for us being the already pigmented marks). Try it but becareful and do it in sessions like 20-30 mins blocks.

Now why I think natural tanning is better than tanning lotions is because you also get vitamin d and e and also I believe if you darken the rest of your ski to the same shade as the marks I feel when the tan fades so will the mark as cell memory will probably get confused with the marks and the others parts and all of it will probably just fade together (just my theory). By the way if you dont know what cell memory is in specific for melanocyte cells google it. Also cancer risks in sun are very low if your not a sun worshipper like me who never normally goes out in the sun and lives in the UK where all we see is clouds. Good luck!

hey star4. For the new marks you got have you tried retin A I am recently on that and in one week it seem my marks have somewhat faded already. I am using a skin lightener with kojic acid in it which alone took me 2 months to almost fade a mark I had once before. But with the retinoid it seems faster.

The tanning technique I am pretty sure will work or atleast help as a quick fix unfortunately whilst on retinoids I cant experiement but I definitely would try it again! The logic is the same as TANNING STICKERS (google them) where you cover areas you dont want to get darker (for us being the already pigmented marks). Try it but becareful and do it in sessions like 20-30 mins blocks.

Now why I think natural tanning is better than tanning lotions is because you also get vitamin d and e and also I believe if you darken the rest of your ski to the same shade as the marks I feel when the tan fades so will the mark as cell memory will probably get confused with the marks and the others parts and all of it will probably just fade together (just my theory). By the way if you dont know what cell memory is in specific for melanocyte cells google it. Also cancer risks in sun are very low if your not a sun worshipper like me who never normally goes out in the sun and lives in the UK where all we see is clouds. Good luck!

Hey Sid,

yeah, cell memory is a fascinating topic.

I wonder if that's how different peels work too. In that you irritate the entire facial area, and everything regenerates, including the problem areas.

Someone told me today that you can put some regular lotion on the dark spots, right before applying self-tanning creams. So this way, the dark areas won't darken as much as the rest of the face.

What cream did you use with the Kojic acid? Have you also tried applying lemon? I hear licorice, vit C, vit K, etc. are used for fading, but it's hard to weed out real info from all the promotional info.

I also do not believe that the sun causes skin cancer. Sun in moderation is healthy and good for you. Sunscreen is so full of chemicals, that it probably causes more cancer than the sun ever could. As do all the chemicals we consume these days.

I've never heard of tanning stickers. I'll try to look into this. Thanks!

hey star4,

I think peels may work this way. I remember when I got my first brown mark I got terrified and bought some 30% glycolic acid peel of ebay. I then applied it ONLY on the mark and eventually made the area worse. Maybe if I applied it all over it would have been better but in a way im glad i didn't take the risk as you can never trust ebay products or even myself for that matter.

So i guess in essence thats the way this Retin A works as I apply it all over.

The cream I used (and still use but less frequently) is meladerm. Its quite pricey but I only bought it because on the net it has quite a good reputation but then im not how true they are, sometimes it feels like there own marketing people! I gotta say it did work but not in the 2 weeks they said but more like 2-3 months (but then again I dont know if it was the cream or time that healed it).

If you do decide to try something I suggest you try ONE thing and stick with it and not overcrowd your face with products!

Although my acne is mild for me the biggest problem is that all the breakouts that do occur always do so in the SAME area (which is the areas already hyperpigmentated, normally my cheeks) so even if I do manage to fade the mark they just get bad again if i breakout. That's why im going for the retinoid approach to try and minimise the breakouts aswell as fade the marks at the same time. If you don't suffer from any more breakouts then you will have some good results.