Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I tried doing Dan's Regimen for MONTHS & it really helped the active pustules & pimples...but it did bupkis for my blackheads & clogged pores. It made my skin really red too - no matter how little I put on my skin.

I have really oily skin, but it is flaky. It is sensitive too... this is so frustrating.

I'm going to try the Oil Cleansing Method, i think. It sounds so counter-intuitive to what I've been told, but the definition of insanity is to keep trying the same tactics & expect different results, right?

The oil cleansing method doesn't really work. You need to KILL the bacterial first before it gets worse, then work on keeping things clean without stripping too much good oil. Thats why a gentle soap and good moisturiser will do wonders.

I get major clogged pores, noninflammatory, open and closed comedones. Once they arrive, the only way to get them out is to squeeze them. I often do it myself because I find estheticians do not unclog the pore fully and then it just gets inflammed. I actually just finished a huge purging session. My skin will probably be red for like a week but after that it looks as good as new with no marks, scars, or anything. I do this about once a month because that's how long it takes the pores to fill back up for me. I also use Ziana and NeoBenz Micro on my face which helps a whole lot with decreasing the amount/severity of the clogged pores.

I got this same problem,

I have clogged pores and I can feel them everywhere when I wash my face it is like to much for me. I can't even begin to start squezing these things out cause I have tried before with an horrible outcome. I feel so gross. So how do I get rid of these clooged pores? I am on Dans plan too with the cleansing ,BP, and moisturizer and at night I use AHA. How long am I looking at?

When is this going away?

This Sucks, Jen

My nose and cheeks are filled with sebum and blackheads which really pisses me off and has held me back in an mma career..

I've tried loads of products (even accutane) and i've never been able to budge these bastards!!

At the moment im using skinoren (azelaic acid) and super cp serum which has salicylic acid in it, i also use the queen helene mint julep masque twice aweek.

None of the above products are solving the problem and the only realistic things left for to try are:

B5

Sea Buckthorn Oil (the only reason i may use this is because i've been reading up on that demodex mite, which maybe causing this excess sebum, but i doubt it).

If any one has cleared the problems mention by otc products,natural products, vitamins, diet etc then please post the solution, as you would be helping a lot of people.

Thanks.

The only thing that's ever helped me with this kind of clogged pores is OCM.

What does OCM stand for ....oil cleansing method ?

how do you do that

also, how well has your clogged pores responded to this ... do you still get clogged pores ?

Whatever method you try...

the better the method is for removal of cloggage, the worse it will get later.

I'm not being pessimistic, this is how it is for me.

If I cleaned them out, they would be back the next day or later that day.

But it's even worse, I can't really clean them out fully anymore, its hard and takes way too much time and even if i take alll that time to do it, the results last only for a half day and then they come back, yea what a great reward for all the hard work.

But what do you expect? How can you expect to change anything here by just constantly taking them off? The problem isnt getting better, it's getting worse. Accutane and similar meds may be the only way to actually treat the condition because it could slow down sebum production, and that's not a guarantee either.

'

It's been a very inconsistent crazy roller coaster ride for me. I've hoped it will go away, I've given up, I've stopped caring about it somedays, Its all I care about other days, whats there left to say...whatever mind state, whatever emotion, whatever destruction its caused, I've probably experienced them all, and hell yes it can get way way worse and it is... slowly.. slowly so I can enjoy the ride eh....

I come back to this board once in a while, and people are saying the same god damn thing, and everybody is going thru the same thing I went through, asking the same questions, and unfortunately getting the same failing answers.

ok, definetly a pessimistic post but yea I'm wrong, everybody is different, maybe it'll go away for you, lOL. yea righhhht... I just gave you hope right now... I shouldnt have, the loop of failure will continue. Keep trying, keep hope alive even if you know it probably leads to failure, It is better than giving up. It is. I've done that too.

The only thing that's ever helped me with this kind of clogged pores is OCM.

What does OCM stand for ....oil cleansing method ?

how do you do that

also, how well has your clogged pores responded to this ... do you still get clogged pores ?

Sorry, I should have been more expansive with my initial post.

Yes, OCM is the Oil Cleansing Method. Be forewarned, though, like any other acne treatment, what works for some can be disastrous for others. It's been working for me for about a month, but did NOT work for me when I started out using extra virgin olive oil-- I broke out horribly. I stopped, of course, and once that was almost completely resolved, I switched to grapeseed oil (along with castor oil, always with castor oil) and I've had a lot of success. I haven't been doing it long enough to know whether it's a long term solution for me, but with regard to blackheads and clogged pores, I had them bad before I did OCM with EVOO, and they went away even when I was breaking out in cystic acne from the EVOO. Then I stopped OCM, and the clogged pores and blackheads came back. When I started up again with grapeseed oil, they went away. So I'm pretty well convinced that the OCM is what's doing it.

However, in the interests of full disclosure, there are other things that come with doing OCM for me that I don't otherwise. Namely steaming. I use a lot of hot water when I do OCM, and I use a washcloth soaked in hot water to steam my face for several minutes when I do OCM. I haven't experimented to see if the steaming would help with the blackheads and clogged pores even if I weren't doing OCM; frankly, I enjoy it too much, and am seeing too many positive things happening on my face to change anything about my routine right now.

My pores aren't 100% clear, but they're miles better than when I started OCM about a month ago. Every night I see them clearing up. Some night I make very obvious, tangible progress, other nights I don't. But the overall effect is pretty positive.

I'll detail my routine for you, but I want to be really, really clear: Some people's skin react REALLY badly to OCM. I really highly recommend doing some of your own research on the process and read some reviews on your own and make your own decision about whether you want to take the risk of trying it. You can find some reviews at MakeupAlley, and there's a long thread about it here too in the General Products forum. If you elect to do this, please remember that it sometimes takes a few different formulations before you sort out what works best for you. Some of the bad formulations can cause some damage. You've got to understand what you're trying before you try it, because as much as I enjoy this, it doesn't work for everyone.

(I'm probably scaring you off of it... I don't mean to. I just don't want to feel responsible if it doesn't work for you!!)

I use grapeseed oil (purchased from Whole Foods) and castor oil (purchased from a local health food store-- Whole Foods was out when I got there). The castor oil is cold pressed and organic. There's mixed review out there of the castor oil you can get in the drugstore. Some say it's just fine, others wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. The organic cold pressed stuff isn't much more expensive (maybe 4 bucks instead of 2.50 for 6 ounces or so) so if you can find it, I'd say it's worth it. The grapeseed oil is also about a six ounce bottle, and I think was 5 bucks. I believe it's organic, though grape seeds are too small to be cold pressed, so it's mechanically pressed. Your research will inform you as to how much you want to care about these details.

Many people pre-mix their oils; I don't. Frankly, I tried it and didn't find it super sanitary. Now, I just keep both bottles next to my sink, and mix in my hand. This means I can adjust my mixture as I see fit: a little more castor oil one day, a little less the next, a couple of drops of jojoba oil once a week.

The point of OCM is that castor oil is a drawing oil. It'll pull impurities out of your skin. This is the "cleaning" part of OCM. But castor oil can also be very drying to the skin, so you can't just use it straight (castor oil is also a home remedy for hair growth, like filling in sparse eyebrows, so I really wouldn't use it straight for that reason alone). It's also sticky and thick and wouldn't spread well anyhow. This is where your second, or "carrier" oil comes in. I think most people start out with EVOO because they have it around the house, but again, I had really bad results with EVOO, so proceed with caution. Other popular and less problematic oils include: sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, and jojoba. There are others, of course, but these will be the easiest to find.

I squirt a large puddle of grapeseed oil into my hand, and then a couple of generous drops of castor oil. I rub the mixture between my hands and then massage into my face. How long I do this for varies; once a week I go for about an hour (I add some jojoba oil on these days) while my husband's out of the house at class, but nightly I go for one to five minutes.

I wash my hands and then run a washcloth under steaming hot water. I squeeze out the excess water and lay the towel on my face until it gets cool. I do this 3-4 times. It's very soothing and you can feel your pores opening. Then I cool the running water off some (still very warm, but not steaming) and use the soaking wet washcloth to massage the oil (and the gross that the oil has pulled out of my pores) off of my skin. I do this in sections: one cheek at a time, my chin, my nose, and my forehead. After that I splash my face with warm water, and then again with ICE COLD water. This is intended to close the pores back up again, and gives me the farking chills. But I think it's making a difference. I blot dry with a towel and that's that. Sometimes, if I'm feeling uncomfortably tight, I'll use a moisturizer or serum, but I've even been skipping that of late with no adverse affects.

I do all this at night and in the morning I wash with a gentle castile cleanser. My skin overall has been improving, and blackheads and clogged pores have shown a marked improvement.

Thank you very much MIBFTO for that informative reply..I think i'll order some castor oil, jojoba oil and see what happens.

Today i used Nizoral shampoo and it seemed to take away the oilyness, so maybe i'll give both a try.

I've tried everything and i mean everything so theres no harm in trying something else.

Thanks again MIBFTO!

I too have been suffering from this condition in my face (only) for about 15 years (I'm 29 now), and also Seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. The only thing that worked for me is Accutane... after taking it for 4-7 days, the pores are reduced dramatically and the "white gunk" in nose and cheeks comes out with very little effort when pressed with fingers or scrubbed with a sponge. Then the skin is silky smooth (heheh You Don't Mess With The Zohan), no bumps at all, and no whiteheads in sight. I only took 10mg Accutane, 3 times a week... and that worked for me (very low dosage)... but unfortunately my body catches on soon... after a couple of months I see that Accutane can't fight the oil back anymore... and very little drops of oil start forming in every pore (I can see my skin gets shiny, and I have to use a paper napkin to remove the oil). The dosage has to be increased... but what the hell, I don't wanna live with accutane all my life... all the stuff ppl say against it kinda scares me, now even more cause I'm about to turn 30. Anyway, ppl have to keep in mind that maybe the side effects they think they have, happened naturally (and accutane maybe had nothing to do with it), e.g. losing hair (hereditary and something normal for men starting age 16 or so), becoming short-sighted (something normal too, and hereditary)... but one never knows for sure what caused that. I haven't experienced any side effects other than dry skin and lips... but dry joints are my worst fear, cause I play tennis, soccer, basketball... I certainly don't want to bust my knee caps or elbows... fortunately accutane doesn't seem to have done anything to them.

I'm getting tired of seeing my skin in this condition... although it has sort of "settled" and I don't look too bad at all; after getting out of the shower the compromised part of my face looks quite red, and 15' have to go by until it settles again. Anyway, under bright light or neon it looks crappy.

Getting a sun tan has worked for me too... even with a tanning bed, but of course just for spring/summer.. cause in automn/winter I certainly don't wanna be the only tanned person in my city heheh. Besides, suntans aren't good for the skin, I know that it ages and wrinkles start showing up.

I think I'm gonna look into these new creams/lotions (it's been years since I used anything on my skin other than Dove soap and a sponge), just to give 'em a shot... cause my skin is sensitive too.. it gets red very easily. The other issue is my mom suffers from this condition as well, only for her it's a lot less (just a few clogged pores forming bumps in her forehead, and a few on her cheeks near her ears) and it comes and goes (even with a few pimples here and there)... but she's turning 57 this year, and I certainly don't wanna keep battling with my skin for 30 more years. If the creams/lotions don't work, I think I'll give accutane another shot, just in case I've prolongued puberty hahah... damned hormones.

I'll keep reading other experiences and keep note of what creams/lotions were used... then I'll open a new thread to write down my progress.

i too am experiencing the clogged pores with sebum buildup. Some days or weeks are better than others. What I think i've learned about myself is when i use too emollient of a cleanser than a moisturizer i tend to build up tons of plugs. My skin is so dry after washing even with a gentle cleasner i use the moisturizer. I've had too many problems with topical oils like jojoba and seabuckthorn oil. They plug me up even more and do nothing to hydrate my skin overall. It feels good after applying but thats it. I want to know how to get my skin to properly shed so this doesnt happen. I"m trying liquid b5 for several weeks now and nothing...I'm also taking fish oil, saw palmetto, nicotinamide supplements and nothing is slowing it. The area below my lip and above my chin is sooo inflamed i dont know what to even wash with tonight. im distraught over this....

@beto - yes it will. Blackheads are essentially caused by clogged pores, that oil produced under the skin can not escape. Accutane works by causing the skin to stop producing oil. No oil, no blackheads. See this video: youtube(D)com/watch?v=iPQYCyHtXF4

Update on what I wrote about a year ago (page 2): I've undergone a few IPL (intense pulsed light) sessions, and have also been using a lotion on my face. The lotion consists of erythromicine 4% and salicylic acid 2%, and I wear it am/pm cause it doesn't show and doesn't irritate my skin. I also keep away from the sun and even use a thin layer of corrective foundation with SPF25. When I wash my face, I use a soft sponge that helps me exfolliate all the sebum that builds up every day. Surprisingly, I started with the sessions about 8 months ago, and with the lotion around the end of 2009... and now my skin is so soft and the redness has toned down, that I can't even believe it. My forehead is completely clear. There's a few blackheads in the nose area, but not as bad as before... Oh, and of course I've been picking (very gently) a lot of clogged pores with sebum that'd been there for ages... I guess that's helped too. I've done that during hot showers, or while washing my face with hot water (for a very long time, so the pores open up and you can remove the gunk in them easily).

Guest Timehealsall

guys i was massaging my nose today with jojoba oil and three sebum plugs peeled off. These plugs left mini holes and there is redness inside these holes.

My question is, how long does it take for these holes to close up and is there any product that i could use to maybe help them close up? Would a mild AHA (Acne.org aha) help?