Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, i've made some mistakes, things have gotten worse, and they keep getting worse.

mistakes:scratching the stuff w/ nails.

It started around the nosetrils. At this time I didnt know what it was, seemed like it was grey dry skin type of things. I scratched them off. Also at this time, I used cetaphil cleanser, which of course dried the skin like crazy and made it appear more and made it worse IMO.

Anyways, fastforwarding. i constantly kept scratching that whitish flakey skin/ abnormal keratinny sebummy things.. off. and now. it happens around my whole nose. Whole nose is clogged with sebum plugs, the skin is fragile and weak but oily, but soon as a cleanser is used to take the oils off, skin has clogged pores as well as flakey skin.

Now: clogged oily skin on nose, nose not flakey unless scratched or cleansed. If nose is left unscratched, the pores get clogged into this thick sebum in every pore.

cheeeks near nose are following the same pattern as the nose, actually they are already there.

regular cheeks are following that patten, but for now they are flakey and oily skin only. Meaning, soon as the oils go away, they flake. Oils just serve as a hiding agent.

skin between chin and lips are clogged as well and they are spreading sideways as i scratch away the cloggage. The skin texture here is like chicken skin with sebum plugs, sometimes the gunk sticks out as if its a very short hair, in every pore.

So although i dont get many pimples, this problem seems even worse as it spreads slowly day by day and I cant do shit.

Even after complete picking out the gunk, it comes back the NEXT day, yes its gotten THAT FAST. Salycylic acid use can make it a little slower, so it maybe come sback a day later. still its way too fast.

Moisturizers which i rarely use cause they cause pimples and are greasy because they combine with my oily skin and dont really get absorbed. They block the pores i think and cause few pimples. Still i use it when i dont have time to scratch the stuff away.

Flakey dry skin + oily skin simultaneously... =/

what tha hell do i do?

Im thinking accutane or vitamin b5 as the only real way to decrease the sebum/oils that my skin produces

I've heard accutane eliminates blackheads cz i shrinks the sebaceous glands; i don't know how long it takes though

Maybe you could order my cleanser on line. Ive only been using it for a couple of weeks so I cannot really say if its great. You could try it though.

same thing here. I've got bumps everywhere. now I'm trying differin. Takin the plunge. The derm prescribed it and I was apprehensive at first (didn't use it) but then it's getting worse so might as well try it out. hmph.

same thing here. I've got bumps everywhere. now I'm trying differin. Takin the plunge. The derm prescribed it and I was apprehensive at first (didn't use it) but then it's getting worse so might as well try it out. hmph.

hey, i also have this issue with my nose! i am currently using the retinoic acid + glycolic acid approach. I definitely can say that my face has improved A LOT! about my nose, its still oily, but it has gotten less oily since i used the glycolic acid, and the pores, i think on my nose has kinda appeared smaller.... i am thinking of using salicylic acid 2% for a while now, i have read from other threads that it is good for oily skin. i really want to eliminate permanently the white gunk i get when i squeeze my nose (same as yours) any advice guys?

hey, i also have this issue with my nose! i am currently using the retinoic acid + glycolic acid approach. I definitely can say that my face has improved A LOT! about my nose, its still oily, but it has gotten less oily since i used the glycolic acid, and the pores, i think on my nose has kinda appeared smaller.... i am thinking of using salicylic acid 2% for a while now, i have read from other threads that it is good for oily skin. i really want to eliminate permanently the white gunk i get when i squeeze my nose (same as yours) any advice guys?

Yea, I have the same flaky skin+oily skin thing. I'm hoping to try out the jojoba oil...it seems to have gotten some really good reviews.

Can BP Help this? I'm on BP right now hoping it would work for me as it always has.

Ok, i've made some mistakes, things have gotten worse, and they keep getting worse.

It started around the nosetrils. At this time I didnt know what it was, seemed like it was grey dry skin type of things. I scratched them off. Also at this time, I used cetaphil cleanser, which of course dried the skin like crazy and made it appear more and made it worse IMO.

Anyways, fastforwarding. i constantly kept scratching that whitish flakey skin/ abnormal keratinny sebummy things.. off. and now. it happens around my whole nose. Whole nose is clogged with sebum plugs, the skin is fragile and weak but oily, but soon as a cleanser is used to take the oils off, skin has clogged pores as well as flakey skin.

Now: clogged oily skin on nose, nose not flakey unless scratched or cleansed. If nose is left unscratched, the pores get clogged into this thick sebum in every pore.

cheeeks near nose are following the same pattern as the nose, actually they are already there.

regular cheeks are following that patten, but for now they are flakey and oily skin only. Meaning, soon as the oils go away, they flake. Oils just serve as a hiding agent.

skin between chin and lips are clogged as well and they are spreading sideways as i scratch away the cloggage. The skin texture here is like chicken skin with sebum plugs, sometimes the gunk sticks out as if its a very short hair, in every pore.

So although i dont get many pimples, this problem seems even worse as it spreads slowly day by day and I cant do shit.

Even after complete picking out the gunk, it comes back the NEXT day, yes its gotten THAT FAST. Salycylic acid use can make it a little slower, so it maybe come sback a day later. still its way too fast.

Moisturizers which i rarely use cause they cause pimples and are greasy because they combine with my oily skin and dont really get absorbed. They block the pores i think and cause few pimples. Still i use it when i dont have time to scratch the stuff away.

what tha hell do i do?

Im thinking accutane or vitamin b5 as the only real way to decrease the sebum/oils that my skin produces

I was going to start my own thread before I came across this. What I've been doing for the last month is attempting to find a solution to skin problems (such as clogged pores) which are natural. Just using water. The last five or so days I've found a combination that, oddly enough, has worked better than any regimen I've previously considered. I changed my entire approach after googling some websites on skin care and noticing they were recommending 90 second washes for oily skin. Even though Dan suggests a completely opposite approach, when I thought about it I realized I was only washing my entire face for -- what had to be -- 10 seconds.

The reason I've backed off cleansers (even those designated for sensitive skin) is all of them seem to contain irritating components. Everything just seemed to lead to oily skin within 4 hours of cleansing. Only exception I have is shaving, and even then I just use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser as a shaving lotion.

Here's what I do:

1. Divide my face into halves; left side and right side.

2. Cold water soak both halves 10 seconds each under my bathroom's faucet.

3. Wait a little bit (~30 seconds) before soaking both sides of my face under luke warm water for 20 seconds each.

4. Wait 30 seconds, repeat step one.

The water pressure during all these points is what'd I label as medium.

When you think about the reason for using cleansers it's to pick up dirt/oil that water can't. Well, it seems to me that increasing the water pressure a bit seems to be more than adequate for accomplishing the same goals without the additional additives. The oiliness is still present after washing, but it seems to now come several hours later. And my complexion seems clearer, but its too early to determine whether it'll remain.

misterhealthman, I don't think im irritating my skin, it doesnt feel irritated when i scratch the stuff off, and trust me, I only scratch it off when its absolutely necesssary and I gently scratch. But maybe the scratching is rather stimulating the skin to produce more. but I KNEW this.. and I still do it because theres no other way to take the gunk off.. than to just take it off... and no matter hOWW gentle your technique is of removing them, it doesnt matter, Ive tried face pads and baby brush method, all a huge waste of time, its like a SLooower way of taking them out.

you know how my nose is right now? it's like sandpaper, (not exagerating), if i were to gently rub it with my finger, small pebbles of thick sebum get rubbed off some of the pores. Almost like dandruff., but its not dead skin... (atleast not on my nose), its most definetly sebum.

But anyway, I don't use chemicals or my face. I used to use cetaphil daily face wash about 8 months ago somewhat, even then i didnt use it much, but 8 months before the 8 months, (16 months) when i first got cetaphil and when the first cloggage started around my nose, I used cetaphil daily, and it dried out the skin crazy, at the time I thought i had dry skin... lol.

Anyways now for the past 8 months, I rarely rarely rarely use chemicals. I onyl use water to wash my face, lots of splashes of water on my face.. and in the past 6 months, all of my inflamed acne are gone and im left with clogged pores now. I used an ice cube technique to get rid of the inflamed pimples, but thats off topic.

NEC2234, your water technique is sort of what im doing.

I gently splash some semi hot water on my water because hot water gets some of the surface oil away. Then i use alot of warm water splashes till my face feels refreshed. I just close my eyes and splash splash splash and after 30 secs when i wake up from this sleeping of sort, i feel really refreshed, but unfortunately, this doesnt make anything better, but it doesnt make it worse by any means.

Maybe there is a stronger prescription of Salicylic acid or some other acid or topical that I could put on my nose once the pores are clean to dissolve and thin out newly emerging sebum. The problem is then the nose will be all shiny and oily because yea the SA or topical could work, but its not magically going to take the gunk out and throw it in the air, its all just going to stay there untill i wash it off. Clogged skin or oily skin? hmm what should i be like today.

I know if I never started to scratch the stuff in the first place, maybe if I caught it early and applied a strong topical, it would have just went away.. but its way beyond that point now.

It's funny, because I'm experiencing the same thing you are using basically the same method. My face seems clearer, but one area (especially around the side of my nose) has excess sebum.

What annoys the living HELL out of me is its as if theres no winning. I can eliminate the appearance of excess sebum by using a cleanser such as Purpose, but it usually makes my skin oilier and appears to irritate it a bit. However, when I use only water I have a clearer complexion; but am left with sebum and having to rub it off with a q-tip.

Seriously, I want to know why this is so difficult. Sometimes I'd just to like to ask random people I see on the street what they do to wash their faces. I severly doubt everyone with clear skin uses a SA/BA, Toner, Moisturizer combination. I know several of my friends only use water, aside from shaving, and their skin is smooth as hell. How is it we're that different?

You know, I remember reading someone post that they believed the sebum (as we put it) may be the skin attempting to clog the pores purposely so it can heal itself below. Similar to how the skin sheds after sunburn. I may suck it up for a few days and resist brushing off the sebum to see what happens. If you and I are brushing off our noses and proiblems are reappearing, thats obviously not the right way to go.

yea but theres a guy who tried leaving it completely alone and he made a thread about it, dont think it worked.

As far as what im trying now, i havent done it.. in 5 days.. thats the longest in the past .. 3 years and im going to keep going, it seems the cloggage is slowed down, but its probably just an illusion at this early point so ill wait.

I seriously don't think topicals work well for me, because I dont exactly have blackheads, I just have clogged pores on the outside which should be called whiteheads, but they're not the same as when someone says whiteheads. For this condition, any topical i put just keeps getting pushed out along with the excess sebum. I know better than to rule out all topicals because some don't work, there could be a stronger prescription that cud work, but I dont wanna have to deal with its sideeffects. =/. The no chemical technique is what got rid of my inflamed acne in the first place.

I have the EXACT same thing.. oily skin, pebbly skin, blackheads etc..

I do think I overwash my skin but it feels like when ever I stop and just let the oil lie it gets much worse.

I've had this for probably 3 years now and tried mandelic, SA, BP and nothing worked.

Sometimes I think oil cleansing method works but I dno I'm having a huge clog break out right now

what tha hell do i do?

Hi, I have the same problem, the only time I didn't have this problem is when I spent some months in Canada in cooler weather, I'm from the Caribbean. Maybe it has to do with climate or allergies. Where are you guys from and do you ever recall a period you didn't have the problem?

I mean I've tried everything else, literally, I don't know what else to do

I've been using AHA Lotion since January with mixed results. It has improved the overall condition of my skin, after it was left damaged from Retin-A. For a while, I would get one or two deep acne bumps per week, but even those have mostly gone away.

Now, the only problem is that I have a bunch of clogged pores. It leaves my skin looking uneven and bumpy. If I keep using AHA, will they eventually unclog? Or will going off AHA eventually unclog them? Is there something else I can do?

I've been doing the Oil Cleansing and Facial Steaming methods that were on these forums as well, and I think they've been helping quite a bit.

Thanks!

I ahev the EXACT and i mean EXACT problem. If i squeeze gently even a bit around my nose of cheeks all these strings of white stuff come out so many. I dont know what to do. I am trying Retin A which I started 3 nights ago and realised it makes them easier to extract. So am hoping in a couple of weeks they will all be gone althought i think I may need a stronger version of my Retin A as its only 0.01%. I dunno I hope this works as this is my major problem and these clogged dried white gunk can potentially causes pimple and infection. If they are gone my skin is clear!