Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gcs220

Read This! Sexual side effects from accutane

Considering all the thousands of people who are on accutane, and all the ones who have been on it (especially the many celebrities), i think people would be throwing a huge fit about something like this. If it were true.

People aren't going to stay quiet or accept their sex lives being permanently messed up. especially in our sue-happy day and age.

Shanon some people are very hesitant to go to Drs over issues like this, not only that but due to roche not admiting to a link, doctors don't take people seriously, or like many others, say it must be due to something else.

Just like hairloss 15 years ago due to tane was always genetic hairloss....yeah sure, just like rosacea must of been genetic....yep ofcourse.

People are slowly coming round, it will take time but things will all come out in the end.

I for one can say accutane has never effected my libido. In fact, I just had an amazing orgasm about 10 minutes ago, I kid you not.

Shanon some people are very hesitant to go to Drs over issues like this, not only that but due to roche not admiting to a link, doctors don't take people seriously, or like many others, say it must be due to something else.

Just like hairloss 15 years ago due to tane was always genetic hairloss....yeah sure, just like rosacea must of been genetic....yep ofcourse.

People are slowly coming round, it will take time but things will all come out in the end.

I know what rosacea is and its genetic predisposition. Why has no one else in my family got it? Why did i have no signs of it before accutane? Same goes for many in the same situation.

I am not saying things like sexual side effects are common, but this shit alters your DNA, it has the potential to alter anything in the body that much i can say without a doubt.

It could have been that you hit the age where it would show up while/after you were on accutane. It doesnt usually show up in teenagers (although sometimes it does).

And because it is usually genetic, that doesn't mean that it always is. Just like there's asian or mexican people who get rosacea.

We'll never know.

And as for the last comment....you cannot blame accutane for everything. Its easy to blame any medication you've been on for all your problems. As for the whole DNA thing, i've never seen anything on that, so i have no comment.

I must say that I'm on my 10th day and my sex drive is "completely" down. I guess it will remain so till the end of my course.

What concerns me is the author of that article, a Kevin Pezzi, MD.

First off, he is not a trained dermatologist. Secondly, he never mentions where he practices. He says he is an ER physician in Michigan, but where? I googled him, and in some places he switches up which university he went to (michigan state or wayne state? he also says he graduated in the top 1% of a class of 256...but where's the proof?).

I could only find reference to him on his own websites (most doctors can be found in oodles of HOSPITAL websites or medical journals), with the exception of this:

http://www.aaem.org/messages/0305a.php

So how qualified is he to judge this?

I'm not disputing that Accutane could have an effect on sex drives, in fact it's probably quite likely. However, I, like previous posters, am skeptical that such a thing would not have come out sooner, since sexual side effects are SO COMMON nowadays in medication, and that Accutane is notorious for random side effects.

Oh, and this portion of his website? Totally illegal, dude, not to mention irresponsible.

At around month three I noticed I wasn't as horny as I usually am. I think that may have just been because I was really depressed.

But yeah, I'm back in full swing now. Hahaha.

Yes, people have to realize that sex starts in the head... its pretty mental and emotional. So if you're depressed, stressed, anxious etc... it's going to effect you sexually.

I'd like to start off by saying I have been on 3 high dosage courses of accutane (80 mg a day) since I was a senior in highschool. I am a 21 year old, 175 lb. male that is now a junior in college. My first course was 80 mg a day for 6 months while, my second course was 80 mg a day for 4 months and 100 mg a day for 3 months. My third course which ended this past december was 6 months on 80 mg a day. During the second course, I noticed a decreased sex drive and difficulty to get/maintain an erection. I chalked this up to the anti-depressant I was taking. Once off of the anti-depressant, I noticed that my sex drive was coming back but the funny thing is, I was finishing accutane at about the same time. During my third course, my sex drive diminished even worse. There were times when I had difficulty masturbating and rarely was I ever randomly aroused. My sex drive has gotten better since finishing my 3rd course on December 14th but what I noticed is that it is taking much longer for me to get it back fully than it did when i experienced my problem during the second course. My experience with it during the third course shattered my confidence with girls and ruined me mentally. I made an appointment with my family physician to discuss the problem and cancelled last minute because I was so embarassed to talk about it. The worst part of it all, is that I am now about 3 months post tane and my acne is once again, coming back to get me. I've realized that my problem is simply my oily skin. My face produces too much oil for my pores to handle. Had I known this was my problem earlier and that it was not in fact hormonal, I probably would have opted for a low-dose course to begin with. I am now facing the decision of going on accutane for a fourth time, for a long-term low dose course. I am hoping that if I do choose to do a low dose course, that the sexual side effect will not be an issue. I plan on starting at no more than 10 mg a day if I choose this option. Anyway, I'll probably make another post about taking a fourth course, but my answer is yes, I did experience sexual side effects.

I'm with lamarr on this one, and I don't understand why anyone remotely familiar with accutane would rule it out. I personally didn't notice any difference, but it would not surprise me at all if it is a potential side effect. Isetrinoin is a powerful, powerful drug and if anybody knows it's Roche.

Anything is possible. But i lean toward it being more phsycological. i don't believe it usually happens. It's not typical.

Maybe its just a guy thing? Cus my sex drive has really increased lately... maybe it's that i'm more relaxed knowing that i can just rely on tane and not stress about my skin every minute of the day.

But I still believe its phsycological, especially since alot of people who go on tane suffer with atleast slight depression or stress already from dealing with acne for so long.

Anything is possible. But i lean toward it being more phsycological. i don't believe it usually happens. It's not typical.

Maybe its just a guy thing? Cus my sex drive has really increased lately... maybe it's that i'm more relaxed knowing that i can just rely on tane and not stress about my skin every minute of the day.

But I still believe its phsycological, especially since alot of people who go on tane suffer with atleast slight depression or stress already from dealing with acne for so long.

It should also be noted that the case mentioned in the article (the ONLY case detailed, although he says he knew of thousands - or millions, I can't remember what he said) the patient took quote SEVERAL courses of Accutane.

We all know that Accutane is a highly dangerous drug...I am not surprised at all that taking it SEVERAL (so we're talking more than twice) times at full dosage would eventually SCREW YOU UP.

I really want to know who was prescribing him this stuff, if the story is even true. That's what also makes it dubious...that he was taking Accutane for SEVERAL courses to "control" his acne. Accutane is not prescribed lightly. After two or at the most three courses I would think that any dermatologist would say, look, it's obviously not working, let's try something else. Unless this patient was switching doctors and lying about his medical history to get the Rx, which is all kinds of irresponsible anyway.

This is all speculation of course, but it is food for thought.

It should also be noted that the case mentioned in the article (the ONLY case detailed, although he says he knew of thousands - or millions, I can't remember what he said) the patient took quote SEVERAL courses of Accutane.

We all know that Accutane is a highly dangerous drug...I am not surprised at all that taking it SEVERAL (so we're talking more than twice) times at full dosage would eventually SCREW YOU UP.

I really want to know who was prescribing him this stuff, if the story is even true. That's what also makes it dubious...that he was taking Accutane for SEVERAL courses to "control" his acne. Accutane is not prescribed lightly.

I was on accutane for 6 months and stopped taking it August of 2004. I have had severe lasting effects that could be from nowhere else besides accutane. I'm glad to know I'm not just a complete anomaly and other people have had the the same problems too.

I started to have "down there" dryness that gradually got worse when as I was on accutane and since I have been off of it, my problem has gotten progressively worse and now it is very difficult to have any wetness at all. I have used lube since I was on accutane and now can't have sex without it.

Also I have gradually had less and less of a sexual drive since being on accutane. This was really hard for me to accept since I used to have a very healthy sexual appetite. My new husband of 6 months has dealt with my low sex drive, but in the past year or so, it seems to be nearly non-existant. He feels like he's doing something wrong #1 I can't get wet and #2 I hardly ever want sex. Trust me, he's a good looking guy and I'm very attracted to him.

I also got really bad depression while on accutane and for the couple years afterwards. I was on an anti-depressant but stopped taking it shortly after our honeymoon (September 2007). Now off the anti-d's, I still don't have any sex drive.

I find myself to be a regular person before accutane and now my life has never been the same afterwards. Has anyone else experienced such severe lasting side effetcs from accutane and what have you done to help it? I feel silly asking my gyno or PCP for female sex drugs when I'm only 24 and newly married.

Well fuck, how much sex do you think your going to get with sever cystic acne all over you? Probably less then the sex you'll have after accutane lol.

Well fuck, how much sex do you think your going to get with sever cystic acne all over you? Probably less then the sex you'll have after accutane lol.