Notifications
Clear all

Microdermabrasion-who has had it and did it work for you?

MemberMember
(@charisma)

Posted : 10/07/2002 9:59 pm

I have been contemplating getting this done. I have had my scars for eight or nine months and my derm says my skin is still healing. Talk about slow healing process. Having been through this before but with like only two or scars compared to the thirty i have now this is getting too difficult to deal with as I haven't encountered such a problem before. So would anyone recommend dermabrasion for shallow faint scars, my scars are light pink they seem to lighten every month but I can't stand the waiting for a couple more months process. So please tell me if any of you have done dermabrasion and if you would recommend me doing this. How pleased were you with the results and what type of scars did you have as well? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@lissalyn)

Posted : 10/15/2002 8:52 pm

I had Microdermabrasion almost a month ago. I went because I am trying to spped up the process of clearing up my acne. My dermatologist said it would open up some of the comedones that I have an that it should help. I have to undergo 5-6 treatments. My skin is getting better. I also use a microdermabrasion product at home from philosophy. It is called the greatest love. I love it BUT it is oily after you scrub so be sure to cleanse your skin after using it! It feels amazing and gets rid of all the dead dry crap that prescription meds leave behind. It helps you products get where they need to be rather than sitting on top of dead skin. It is supposed to be really good for scarring too. www.philosophy.com is a great help.

As far as the "real" microdermabrasion goes...I dreaded going because I thought it was going to hurt a lot. Don't get me wrong, it is not something you'd do for fun but I believe in it. I am definitely going back! I am seeing a big difference.

Hope I didn't ramble too much. Let me know if I can help any more.

MemberMember
(@charisma)

Posted : 10/16/2002 10:27 pm

I made an appointment to get dermabrasion done by a dermatologist my doctor recommended but I am cancelling it because I'm frightened of making my skin worse (my doctor said theres a ten percent chance of that happening and it is painful and both the derm and my doctor insisted my skin is still healing and I should be patient EASY FOR THEM TO SAY it's been nine months and i have a history of slow healing) because in all honesty its way more even and the scars are getting very much so lighter and in a couple of months it should be fairly clear. I'm just not sure about dermabrasion maybe if say in six months theres still some damage left I'll consider it but thanks for your reply. Oh yeah can I get this philosophy stuff in Canada? I havent heard of it. It might be at some of the big department stores though so I could check it out. I just got Neutrogena's moisturizer with retinol and pure vitamin c claims it can even out your skin tone and make it firmer. I just started using it today so I'll see how it works I normally like neutrogena products. Anyways thanks! Oh and I know what you mean by the dead dry crap I HATE THAT so much because I wear makeup and my makeup looks all caked on the hydroquinone stuff is too damn harsh so I stopped using it and I'm sticking to moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@tifanies-secret)

Posted : 10/29/2002 4:59 pm

I had a series of them and they didn't do much for me.

MemberMember
(@barbqlover)

Posted : 10/29/2002 7:57 pm

That seems to be the general concensus with microdermabrasion for scars, especially deep ones. Maybe a continuous series of them, about one a month, will help, but it is more for skin appearance and fine line/wrinkle reduction than scars.

And regular, old-fashioned dermabrasion.....that is the scariest stuff I have ever read about! Taking a high-speed brush and taking off layers of skin??!! No thanks!

MemberMember
(@lisa)

Posted : 11/02/2002 2:53 am

I've had maybe 7 microdermabrasion treatments and it worked really well for acne, but I only had maybe one pimple at a time so it really didn't do me any good. As far as scars go..I didn't really see a difference. It does nothing for red marks either. My option is..I've had better luck with the microdermabrasion crystal cream you can use at home.

MemberMember
(@youknowyoureright)

Posted : 11/02/2002 11:02 pm

hi, ive had many microdermabrasions done with high intensity since the 12th of july or someting, once every two weeks, i really feel it has helped in the overall texture of my face, and it has helped me with VERY shallow scars, but for the others, i dont think there's much improvement, i mean, there is some, but it is just not enough, i think im getting the laser done this christmas

MemberMember
(@charisma)

Posted : 11/03/2002 5:35 pm

Where can I get the microdermabrasion crystal cream stuff I'm in Canada. I saw something on tv that Susan Lucci came up with haha but I'm hoping to find something in a department store or something.

MemberMember
(@karadawn20)

Posted : 11/06/2002 10:20 am

I've done microbrasion 4 times so far, and it has really helped my skin. I actually thought it felt good, (but hey I thought getting a tatoo felt good too!) Afterward my face felt like it had a little windburn, but that subsided after 3-4 hours. It made my face feel so clean that I didn't want to put makeup on. After the 3rd time I could tell that my red spots were fading quite a bit. I have pretty mild acne so it worked well for me, it just cost a lot to do as often as I would like to ($80 each time). Good luck. :)

MemberMember
(@amy)

Posted : 11/07/2002 12:39 pm

I Had my whole face done approx 10 years ago. at that time it was a day surgery thing. my particular plastic surgeon told me that my scarring was minor, so, i would be extremely pleased with the results. Well when i left i looked like a mummy and couldn't take off the bandages for 2 weeks. i was prescibed percocet and told me the healing process would be an ongoing thing-that it would get better and better as time went on. I suffered the worst pain i have ever had!!!(i've birthed 2, 10 lb babies, with no pain medicine at all!! and i am 6' and 130 lbs) so, boys and girls, i'd rather birth a 20 lb baby naturally and with no drugs at my size...) to say the least!!!

fast forward 2 months and i'm so unhappy with the unveiling i could just DIE! the scarring is worse and deeper than before. So now this guy wants me to do collagen treatments at $300.00 dollars a whack!! i had at least 6 months of treatments (to give him benefit of doubt) and nothing!!! let me also state that my insurance didn't cover any of these procedures including the office visits. The surgery itself cost me approx 10K, then if you add in the collagen treatments at $300.00 a whack usually 2 shots a visits it killed me financially!!! would i recommend it HELL NO!!!

Ok, so that was 10+ years ago... maybe its better, i don't know, nor do i have the cash to find out. But please be careful and thoughorlly investigate all options and at least 3 different opinions....which i may also add that i did not do. My mistake. Good luck!! My scars are still here and i would do anything to remove them, but financially i can't take the risk not to mention, emotionally.

MemberMember
(@tifanies-secret)

Posted : 11/07/2002 1:52 pm

Amy,

That sounds like you had Dermabrasion. Dermabrasion is whole lot more aggressive. Microdermabrasion I don't think has been around for 10 years. I do hope things get much better for you.

MemberMember
(@charisma)

Posted : 11/07/2002 8:35 pm

My scars are getting lighter and more even but I still hate seeing my face like this and miss the way my face used to be but seriously I don't even want to risk getting anything done at the chance it might make it worse. I'm just going to wait but thanks for the feedback. I am too chicken to get any cosmetic surgery done :)

MemberMember
(@oursfan)

Posted : 11/07/2002 8:43 pm

I haven't had dermabrasion or microdermabrasion, but I definitely would NOT do dermabrasion. Dermabrasion is a very invasive procedure. Microdermabrasion sounds fine, but I honestly don't know how good the results are. Something you might want to look into is called "Cool Touch". It's laser surgery, but not with a "hot" laser. It's supposed to feel like a rubberband being snapped against your face. The only major down side to it (that I see) is that it takes a while (a few months) to see the results since it affects the collagen underneath the skin's surface, not the epidermis itself.

MemberMember
(@cuppycake)

Posted : 11/22/2002 9:36 am

I had it done twice. It got rid of a few scars, some breakouts, and some skin discoloration. I also found on Ebay a microdermabrasion cloth and it worked almost as good.

MemberMember
(@lisa)

Posted : 11/22/2002 3:20 pm

Yea, I use the cloth too. It works great!!!!!!

Here's where I go it

www.addictedtobeauty.com

MemberMember
(@cuppycake)

Posted : 11/22/2002 4:05 pm

Thank you Lisa for the good website link! I paid around $30 for 4 wash clothes. Have you tried any other products from Addicted to Beauty?

I was really excited the first time I got my microdermabrasion cloth and I guess I put to much pressure when washing my face and ended up what looked like some rug burns on my face. I'm very careful now and my face looks better than ever.

MemberMember
(@barbqlover)

Posted : 11/22/2002 4:36 pm

Hi,

I just looked at the Addicted to Beauty web-site and was kind of intrigued by the Microdermabrasion Creme. Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Sounds a little too good to be true, IMO, and will this actually lead to results that I won't see with Retin-A or glycolic peels?

MemberMember
(@lisa)

Posted : 11/22/2002 5:49 pm

Yea, I use both of them. The lady is really nice and will answer your e-mails quickly. I've had pretty good luck with both of them. I've had the "real" microdremabrasion done at the derm too only to be let down AGAIN!!!!!!

The "real" microdermabrasion is great for acne but it does nothing for red marks or scars. I posted somewhere else my results of the cloth and microdermabrasion cream. I used to use just the cream and it worked really well. As I said in the other post. I had a red spot that went away the first time I used it and face was REALLY smooth. the rest are more sutbborn but are fading better then anything else i've tried.

I use the cloth as a treatment every 10 days and the cream everyday for 15 seconds but if you want a really good treatment you can use the cream for a few minutes a few times a week. (I used to do that until I got the cloth) I dont know if I am doing tot much but it seems to be working for me...So why not

MemberMember
(@cuppycake)

Posted : 11/22/2002 6:09 pm

Yes I agree! The microdermabrasion doesn't work well on regular scars. It just helped me with some scratch type scars. And at a $100 a visit I felt it was a waste of money to go back. I think I will order some of the microdermabrasion creme from Addicted to Beauty. Thanks! 8)

MemberMember
(@randomuser)

Posted : 05/15/2003 2:45 pm

I was wondering how to I apply the Bleaching Gel with the Hydroquinone ingredient. It says twice a day. I'm worry that I might spread the gel if I try to apply sunscreen after. How long should I wait before I apply sunscreen?

MemberMember
(@marytheres)

Posted : 05/16/2003 11:44 am

Youknowyou'reright,

You say microdermabrasion helped your shallow scars.... did it make them go away?

I have very very shallow scarring and purple marks (I suppose the purple marks that have no indent to them are simply discolorations, right?). I am hoping microdermabrasion can help...

MemberMember
(@hello50)

Posted : 05/16/2003 2:10 pm

its a waiste of money

MemberMember
(@marytheres)

Posted : 05/16/2003 2:15 pm

really? it doesn't help anything? My derm characterized my scars as "very superficial" and recommended that as well as peels ....

MemberMember
(@l0ve)

Posted : 03/14/2004 11:22 pm

Hi,

I have had a very deep microdermabrasion...and my results were "okay" but I will not do it again. I'm opting for dermabrasion.

MemberMember
(@candy7)

Posted : 03/21/2006 2:39 pm

i had a course of microdermabration treatments and it has a devistating effect on my life. :( i was left permanently scarred from it and i would not recommend this to anyone. :( think twice about considering microdermabration! :(:(