Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
windysmile

Is my regime enough? Only topical antibiotic? Suggestions?

So, I suppose it official - I am broken out and it is probably moderately bad and not just mild. I am just not used to having issues with acne and keep thinking my skin can handle the stuff it did before (I am 27 and used to have acne when I was a teen). So I use anti-aging products and a high SPF sunscreen that has never broken me out in the past, but will it now? Do I just need to admit that something is different with my skin and treat it accordingly?

I went to the health center at the university I attend and was given Clindamycin Phoshate Gel 1%. She wouldn't give me a prescription for both the topical and oral for some reason. She said if I decide I want to use oral antibiotics, I can come back and she would prescribe them. But should I be taking both? Are oral ones going to clear this up quicker?

So this is what I did before acne:

DAY

- Cleanser - DHC Deep Cleansing Oil

- Antioxidant - Prevage

- Sunscreen - La Roche Posay Anthelios Lait Velloute SPF 50+ (not specifically for skin, but always worked for me and never made me break out)

NIGHT

- same cleanser

- same antioxidant

- Retin A Micro .01%

- Altopalm or Emu Oil as moisturizer

Here is what I am doing now:

DAY

- Cleanser - Purpose Cleanser (helped when I had acne before)

- Clindamycin Phosphate Gel 1%

- same sunscreen as before

- Cargo concealor over acne

(When I come home)

- Wash my face again with Purpose

- More Clindamycin

- BP over spots

NIGHT

- same cleanser

- retin A

- not really using moisturizer because I'm not sure what to use?

Is washing my face three times a day not a good idea? I'm also taking zinc and fish oil...trying to eat better. When I get home, I just want to take off the makeup I'm using to hide the acne.

Any help would be appreciated; it's been a long time since I've had acne. BP never works all that great for me, but it is drying up some spots. Should I get on antibiotics too? Any suggestions for a SPF 30 moisturizer/sunscreen? I'm thinking of buying more emu oil for moisturizing at night, but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, in my personal opinion, washing your face three times a day is too much. Two times a day is perfectly adequate. In fact, washing three times a day can aggrevate your acne and just make it worse. If you want to go on antibiotics, ask your dermatologist about it. Im on Septra. I cannot wait until it actually starts working! My skin looks like crap. Anyway, regarding moisturizer, I dont really know of a good one with spf 30. I dont really like using moisturizer because I find I break out more and it makes my skin more oily. Sorry, I cannot recommend something to you because I certainly would. Its okay to use an oral antibiotic and a topical antibiotic at the same time. Ive done that many times. It helps counteract the inital breakout you might get from the oral antibiotic

Yes, in my personal opinion, washing your face three times a day is too much. Two times a day is perfectly adequate. In fact, washing three times a day can aggrevate your acne and just make it worse. If you want to go on antibiotics, ask your dermatologist about it. Im on Septra. I cannot wait until it actually starts working! My skin looks like crap. Anyway, regarding moisturizer, I dont really know of a good one with spf 30. I dont really like using moisturizer because I find I break out more and it makes my skin more oily. Sorry, I cannot recommend something to you because I certainly would. Its okay to use an oral antibiotic and a topical antibiotic at the same time. Ive done that many times. It helps counteract the inital breakout you might get from the oral antibiotic

I was just about to wash my face and then I read what you wrote! I do remember when I was a teenager I tried washing my face three times a day and it was just too much for my skin; it's just hard to remember from so long ago. You forget how sensitive skin with acne is. When I don't have acne, my skin can handle a lot. Ugh...I guess this stuff just doesn't clear up overnight! And I guess trying to use BP, retin-A and the topical antibiotic is probably overkill. I'll try to be patient :rolleyes: . It's so easy to overdo it...at least for me. I'll stick to twice a day. Thanks for your help!

I was just about to wash my face and then I read what you wrote! I do remember when I was a teenager I tried washing my face three times a day and it was just too much for my skin; it's just hard to remember from so long ago. You forget how sensitive skin with acne is. When I don't have acne, my skin can handle a lot. Ugh...I guess this stuff just doesn't clear up overnight! And I guess trying to use BP, retin-A and the topical antibiotic is probably overkill. I'll try to be patient :rolleyes: . It's so easy to overdo it...at least for me. I'll stick to twice a day. Thanks for your help!

Youre welcome! I know what its like to have sensitive acne prone skin. Hopefully you will clear up soon and that your patience will pay off soon :comfort: