Notifications
Clear all

zovia vs. diane

MemberMember
(@lily_89)

Posted : 03/15/2008 4:33 pm

ok, so i've been on diane for about a year, and recently a moved back to the states and my new gyno advised me to switch to this new bcp i've never heard of, called Zovia 35E. She assured me that it was farely equivalent to Diane. My question is : Has anyone tried Zovia? would i most likely expect an initial breakout right after switching birth control?....should i just stick to diane?...the reason why im even considering switching becuase honestly im very happy with diane becuase i pay around $30 dlls a pack for diane and i only had to pay $10 dlls for a 3pack for Zovia.

i also want to know if anyone has experienced hairloss while on any birth control pill? thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/17/2008 10:21 am

ok, so i've been on diane for about a year, and recently a moved back to the states and my new gyno advised me to switch to this new bcp i've never heard of, called Zovia 35E. She assured me that it was farely equivalent to Diane. My question is : Has anyone tried Zovia? would i most likely expect an initial breakout right after switching birth control?....should i just stick to diane?...the reason why im even considering switching becuase honestly im very happy with diane becuase i pay around $30 dlls a pack for diane and i only had to pay $10 dlls for a 3pack for Zovia.

i also want to know if anyone has experienced hairloss while on any birth control pill? thanks in advance!

I use Zovia. It's not new, it's old. It's the same thing as Demulan. They both use a progestin that's likely to be helpful for acne. It's nothing like Diane though, which uses a special hormone that's not approved in the U.S.

I've experienced some slow down in hair growth, but it's the unwanted androgenic hair which is why I'm taking zovia in the first place.

Then again, they might be similar. According to this site and chart, the progestins might be similar. http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter225.asp

Both Norethindrone and Norgestrel are structurally similar to progesterone but contain little androgenicity.

Norgestrel turns into Levonorgesterel, its active form and has more progesterone activity making it more useful for women facing progesterone insufficiency conditions but more likely to be acne forming.

Norethindrone derived progestins also include Norethindrone Acetate, Ethynodiol Diacetate and Lynesterol (this is not available in the U.S.)

I'm assuming Lynesterol is the progestin in Diane which isn't available here? Diane isn't mentioned in the article, so I don't know. And now that I think about it, I thought the banned substance was called something like CPA?

MemberMember
(@softfocus)

Posted : 01/21/2014 6:21 pm

alternativista, are you still on birth control? i thought you were opposed to synthetic drugs...

QUOTE (LiLy_89 @ Mar 15 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use Zovia. It's not new, it's old. It's the same thing as Demulan. They both use a progestin that's likely to be helpful for acne. It's nothing like Diane though, which uses a special hormone that's not approved in the U.S.

I've experienced some slow down in hair growth, but it's the unwanted androgenic hair which is why I'm taking zovia in the first place.

Then again, they might be similar. According to this site and chart, the progestins might be similar. http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter225.asp

Both Norethindrone and Norgestrel are structurally similar to progesterone but contain little androgenicity.

Norgestrel turns into Levonorgesterel, its active form and has more progesterone activity making it more useful for women facing progesterone insufficiency conditions but more likely to be acne forming.

Norethindrone derived progestins also include Norethindrone Acetate, Ethynodiol Diacetate and Lynesterol (this is not available in the U.S.)

I'm assuming Lynesterol is the progestin in Diane which isn't available here? Diane isn't mentioned in the article, so I don't know. And now that I think about it, I thought the banned substance was called something like CPA?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/21/2014 9:20 pm

I love zovia, but it is definitely not the same as diane. Diane is an anti-androgen and zovia is not.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/22/2014 7:46 am

alternativista, are you still on birth control? i thought you were opposed to synthetic drugs...

QUOTE (LiLy_89 @ Mar 15 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then again, they might be similar. According to this site and chart, the progestins might be similar. http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter225.asp QUOTE

Not for many years. Also, not all that above was said by me. Quotes are messed up in old posts maid before one of the sites upgrades.