Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acend

Why is having clear skin so important?

This is a question that not only my doctor, but family as well, has asked me. I have struggled mentally and physically with acne as many of you have also experienced. It brings down your self-confidence and in some cases brings on depression.

So why is having good skin so important? Why do we let it affect us to the extent that we do?

First of all, it is often people who have never experienced anything more than slightly mild acne that ask questions like this and I feel it's because they don't understand what it is truly like to be on the other side and go through the struggle everyday. I think back to when I was clear and it never even entered my mind that people with acne would experience the psychological effects.

Sometimes, I feel like people make it seem that it is illogical and plain stupid to let your own skin bring you down. Sure there are worse things to be affected with in life. Skin is just skin, right? It's not a reflection on an individual's true self and who they really are (personality, skills, etc)

Being raised in North America, I think that our culture and media certainly puts pressure on us to have nice skin. Otherwise Pro-Activ wouldn't be a multi-million dollar company/scam. Maybe it's different for every person - but I find it hard to believe that a person with severe acne would actually feel good about the way they looked. Also, speaking for myself, other people have said hurtful things about my skin. They say sticks and stones can break your bones, but for me, words linger.

What are your thoughts?

I agree plus people are self-centered. Even if they knew what it was like to have bad skin they might tell you such insensitive things. Because it's fine for them to complain, or feel down but goodness forbid you do it.

Clear skin is important to me because I want to look in the mirror, and see clear skin. I want to touch my cheeks and have them be smooth. I want to be able to be close to someone without feeling poor about my self image.

I also would like to be able to go to job interviews and not think that my skin will be a deciding factor. Realistically, if you're hiring someone to represent your company and meet clients, would you hire someone with bad skin? I'd like to think that employers would not do this but I doubt it.

so we can fit in and look great, it really comes down to what society thinks, everyone has clear skin so its a must to fit in and its really comfortable to be the sore thumb sticking out.

because with acne, I feel like I look worse than without it. I feel like I'm a mess and other people might judge me because of my skin. I feel like they're gonna think I don't look after my skin enough. This feeling has reduced a lot as i've grown up and been in different situations, but I personally feel more attractive without acne.

I just want to go through life without worrying about a nodule or a postule or red marks u know. Just to have one less of a worry especially one that is Chinese water torture to your confidence would just be to cool for words. But personally especially since im still in High School, would be to go up to a girl or a group of people an not worry, oh my god that would just be too awesome

i just want to have people see whats BEHIND the acne. i'm a cool ass dude (at least i think so..lol) and i have alot of friends....but i dont know, i just think that acne is holding me back. the stigma that is placed on having clear skin sucks and society really needs to take another look @ what they feel is necessary to be in the "in crowd"....

I also would like to be able to go to job interviews and not think that my skin will be a deciding factor. Realistically, if you're hiring someone to represent your company and meet clients, would you hire someone with bad skin? I'd like to think that employers would not do this but I doubt it.

I work at a top chartered accounting firm. All you do is meet with clients and discuss their business issues. My skin is, although clearing up, not near perfect. I have scars and redmarks. Not a lot but noticeable. I also have a terrible time shaving. I still got hired because i was very skilled and dedicated. Trust me, skin wont matter, and besides once you are influential enough to be meeting clients etc. you will be clearing up or nearly clear. You gotta wait a while before you get into that stuff ;). Start from the bottom and work up is how it happens.

I think a lot of people see acne as having bad hygiene, haha but i think we probably have some of the best! Acne takes away from other features, and it HURTS! The stigma is that clear skin means your are healthy, vibrant, and beautiful. There aren't too many models that have acne and scars out there, therefore acne is not associated with beauty. Media has a huge part in this, airbrushing any flaws off models faces....no wonder we become obsessed with the thought of clear skin?

I think a lot of people see acne as having bad hygiene, haha but i think we probably have some of the best! Acne takes away from other features, and it HURTS! The stigma is that clear skin means your are healthy, vibrant, and beautiful. There aren't too many models that have acne and scars out there, therefore acne is not associated with beauty. Media has a huge part in this, airbrushing any flaws off models faces....no wonder we become obsessed with the thought of clear skin?